Question for Tidehawk....

talisitider

All-SEC
Jan 24, 2003
Tallassee, AL
I talk to officials all the time at high school games and sometimes I'll give them some of your questions to see what they say. I've asked two separate crews the question about the receiver catching a pass in midair in the endzone, but lands on the one yard line and tackled there. I've asked them and both crews say that they would call it a TD, and I bring up the point that possession is not granted until one foot is down in bounds, but they argue that as long as the ball has crossed the plane, that it's a TD. Is there a rule that solves this argument? If so what is the rule #?

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
talisi, they are wrong. Possession is not secured until the catch and one foot is down like you said. Therefore the ball has not crossed the plane until possession is secured. That is why we as officials sometimes get reamed - some of us do not know the rule book like we should. I don't claim to be an expert on the rules - far from it. But this is a pretty basic ruling.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.