You Make the Call - Oct 20

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I will be out of town on Wednesday, so I am posting this one early. Let's stay on the subject of inadvertant whistles:

During the last timed down of the first half, Team Red's running back gains 10 yards and fumbles. An official inadvertantly sounds his whistle while the ball is loose. What should be done?

TideRoller

Banned
Sep 20, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
The ball is spotted where the running back fumbled. Team Red retains possession of the football. Team Red is allowed to run another play on an untimed down. A total shot in the dark...

talisitider

All-SEC
Jan 24, 2003
Tallassee, AL
After slapping the ref silly.... :biggrin:

Two options
Take result of the play, half ends b/c last timed down
or replay the down

Last edited:

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
bamajake said:
Let me give it a shot: Red has the option of replaying the down or of retaining possession at the spot of the fumble and having the down count. There would then be an untimed down.
Agreed.

Tidehawk, this idiot ref wasn't you again, now was it? :)

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I don't know. The way it's worded it sounds like there is no time on the clock. Red 2 choices. 1) Either to keep the ball at where the ball was at the time of the whistle. Since there is no time on the clock everyone takes it to the locker room or watches the half time show. OR 2) replay the down.

In other words, what Jake said.

Last edited:

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
My guess - the whistle ends the play - half over. Why should it matter that the ball was loose? Of course, many of the rules make seem illogical to me...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Either way, the half is extended by one play. Red may put the ball in play where it lost possession or it may choose to replay the down from the previous spot. That's why when you see a fumble you should see any covering official throw a beanbag at the spot of the fumble.

And no, Tidehead, it was not me. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.