Self Scout - How would you attack Alabama?

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Me? As in the person behind the keyboard?

I'd hide. Those dudes are scary fast and scary big. ;p

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I'm surprised no one mentioned slipping across the Mississippi line and hope Florida showed up to help.
Fl. didn't show up for their bowl game, they might not want to attack Alabama.
Tennessee would have liked to help, but their strategy didn't work.
Georgia is still miffed at loosing the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME so they might attack from the East...
;)
As far ND. I look for them to crowd the box and attempt to stop the run.
I hope so. Look for Amari Cooper to reach the 1000 yard mark for the season then :)

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
saw on a preview a couple interesting areas the Tide was lacking in but I'm sure it hasn't been lost on kirby and cns. they showed how aTm, LSU, and UGA played with 2 TE, one on each side, and flared them out wide to pull 2 LB with them and allowing the middle of the field to be open. Our safeties haven't had the greatest season covering the middle of the field so a majority of plays were made in that 5-25 yard area between the hashes. I don't know enough about ND's WR corps or Golstons middle range throwing accuracy but that would certainly be a plan of attack.

defensively i think they have to make AJ beat them. you've got to crowd the box and try to take away the running game, if possible. AJ has gone long spells in the second half of the season where he hasn't hit anything (1st quarter vs UGA, almost all 2nd half vs LSU, first 20 minutes vs aTm) and by most accounts ND's defense is superior to any we've played this year.

While I think AJ and the WR's have done an excellent job this year they are, when compared to RB crew and Oline, our weak link offensively much like the safeties have been weak link defensively. So i'm expecting ND to challenge Bama in middle of field in pass game and to make AJ beat them with 1 on 1's on defense.

so, AJ to win BCSNCG offensive MVP :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm worried Coach Nuss doesn't really understand how to use a dominating run game. He's prob never had one. Plus, AJ is just too good a weapon to not use. It's a tough call; eps in this game. Against TAMU, not so much. I'll never understand why we didn't just muscle those little boys and keep Johnny F off the field.
I think Nuss learned from the A&M game. Just look at the UGA game. Instead of doing the same amount of passing as in the A&M game, Nuss called plenty of run plays.

saw on a preview a couple interesting areas the Tide was lacking in but I'm sure it hasn't been lost on kirby and cns. they showed how aTm, LSU, and UGA played with 2 TE, one on each side, and flared them out wide to pull 2 LB with them and allowing the middle of the field to be open. Our safeties haven't had the greatest season covering the middle of the field so a majority of plays were made in that 5-25 yard area between the hashes. I don't know enough about ND's WR corps or Golstons middle range throwing accuracy but that would certainly be a plan of attack.
That has been the case. However, Geno Smith's emergence has helped in that area. He might have to play in the base. Then again, the media saw a new formation with Nico in the Dime package. Appears that CNS and CKS have addressed the flaw.

defensively i think they have to make AJ beat them. you've got to crowd the box and try to take away the running game, if possible. AJ has gone long spells in the second half of the season where he hasn't hit anything (1st quarter vs UGA, almost all 2nd half vs LSU, first 20 minutes vs aTm) and by most accounts ND's defense is superior to any we've played this year.

While I think AJ and the WR's have done an excellent job this year they are, when compared to RB crew and Oline, our weak link offensively much like the safeties have been weak link defensively. So i'm expecting ND to challenge Bama in middle of field in pass game and to make AJ beat them with 1 on 1's on defense.

so, AJ to win BCSNCG offensive MVP :)
I think that was LSU's gameplan last year in NOLA. :wink::D

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Alabama is gonna do what they do. Hope we turn it over at least twice.

And come out flat.

Golson needs to have the game of his life.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Somehow, I don't expect to come out flat this time. I think we come out more like last year's BCSCG...
I don't think so either. This team seems awfully focused right now. All season they've shaped their identity and now it comes to this.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Deion Belue. Deion Belue. Deion Belue. He scares the you know what out of me. He'll either make a nice play or get burned. Too inconsistent for my liking. Idk, maybe that's just me.
We say that about almost all our first year starters at CB - said the same about M Johnson, K. Jackson, D. Menzie, and even D. Milliner. We might have even had a doubt or two about Dre Kirkpatrick his first year.

Funny how all those guys are in the NFL now.

HighTide3

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 11, 2012
ND should scheme to keep Alabama from establishing its true identity---the run game.

ND's defensive worries should center on how to stop our running game for 60 mins.
Personally, I don't think there are teams out there that could beat us if we ran the ball every play. We've been beaten by our own pass game and schemes surrounding the pass game.

Alabama's offensive gameplan will have to have inherent errors in it for ND to be in this at the end.

OR,

ND can try to create havoc when on defense to create turnovers and penalties hurting Alabama, disrupting our offense to the point where we abandon the run prematurely or for long stretches. This is unlikely, but keeping AJ out of rhythm is key.

ND will have to scheme in the darker corners of the game such as kicking game, return game, trick plays, and disguised looks on both sides of the ball. They will have to plan on trying to confuse Alabama on both sides of the ball and special teams.

Alabama isn't unbeatable, obviously, but just lining up and playing straight ahead football won't win it for ND. They must create advantages in all other areas besides stopping our run game, because I don't think they can do that for very long in the second half.

ND should attack Alabama's few weak spots in the defense and make us adjust...MAKE us adjust.

Question: can ND run the ball against our defense? That's their weak spot, imo.

One final stat I picked up on TV last night:
Alabama is 50-0 when rushing for 140 yards or more.

Ouch.

With all due respect to ND, I don't think they're going to be in this game for long without a Crimson implosion.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
I do agree with the ND poster that Eifert is probably their best opportunity at creating a mismatch against us. I was thinking we might have CJ on Eifert and then have a safety shade to that side, but Milliner on him would be a fun matchup to watch. They'd essentially be looking at jump balls to him then and I'd prefer that to letting him get 5 yrd out routes against a LB.
I would look for CJ to be eyeing Golson, not necessarily becoming a stick to spy. I look for Milliner to match up with Eifert as much as possible!

As for ND I think you have to stick with your front seven playing straight up, if their as good as everyone thinks, they'll be able to limit the run game to a degree! Stop the run and play man on the back end.

Force AJ out of the pocket and to make throws back over the middle where you have a better chance of picking it off!

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
No, I understand that Milliner is a tremendous corner - quite possibly the best in America. And I'm not saying Eifert is more athletic than Milliner. What I'm saying is that Eifert is maybe 5 inches taller, 50lbs heavier and plenty athletic as well - which is why he too may very well be drafted in the first round. Kid can get up, knows how to high point the ball and has strong hands.

Point being - I think asking a great corner to cover a great tight end is a tough assignment, regardless of individuals involved. If Eifert can use his body to protect the ball and Golson can place the ball in the proper spots, I would think there are opportunities for Eifert to make plays. On the other hand, I'm sure Milliner can use his advantage with speed and quickness to beat Eifert to spots and try to negate the size advantage.

Not knowing much, I would have thought Alabama would try and jam Eifert off the line with their LBs and let Milliner pick him up if Eifert tries to get vertical.
Lets face it Eifert is gonna make some plays, just as Golson will, naturally you want to limit those instances, what you have to hope is that Milliner or perhaps Lester don't get in a position to jump a route ot two!

As for Golsons running, Bamas DB's have been good in run support, Golson may be good but I doubt he's in the same area code as aTm's 'Johnny Football' !!! On the other hand I don't see where he's in the same category, (Passing), as Murray (UGA)...

Anyway coaches can and have out-coached themselves and players have out-thought themselves! When ya get down to the X's and O's of the game it pretty-much comes down to execution! You know, those things called MISTAKES, if you make less than the other team you have around a 99.9% chance of winning!

And FANS just end up talking to much! LOL!! :biggrin:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Fast tempo with a quarterback named Johnny Football. It is the only way. :biggrin:
I agree that is the ONLY shot at beating us, we flat out looked like we never seen a HUNH offense before and of course a little luck on aTm's side helped as well (luck is always needed so I'm not downplaying them at all). We had so many fits against that offense it is basically the only chance at beating this Bama team. A pound it out team is just not going to cut it against us, and Notre Dame will find out quick that they cannot run on us. HUNH is the only way on offense, defensively I don't see them stopping us either. It's a doubled edged blade against us, if you pile up in the box you'll watch Amari Cooper stand in the endzone and celebrate. If you sit back, we're going to pound the ball against you and you will watch Eddie/T.J. go for about 200-300 yards. I'm just glad I'm not ND's defensive coordinator.

hoopscoach

Dec 23, 2012
Stopping the Bama offense is an interesting challenge. There are a couple of ways to go about it.

First, you can look to be really aggressive on first down in hopes of getting Bama in long yardage situations on 2nd and 3rd down. This is risky, because when on top of things Bama will play action you early and hit you for big plays. Once behind, defenses are forced to become over aggressive which makes them overly susceptible to this.

The second option is far more conservative, but could be effective particularly if Bama is not on their A game. Basically play some form of a gap control defense and do not give up big plays. Concede that Bama is going to move the ball on the ground, but rely on the players to make mistakes and coaches to force the game with overly aggressive play calling. If I were ND I would lean toward this strategy. With the long lay off and the strengths that ND has in their front seven this may be the best way to contain the Bama offense.

Beating the Bama defense is all about breaking tendencies. If you are able to avoid being predictable and still be good at what you do, then the defense can be exposed. The defense will be prepared for a game like this, so the additional question becomes what unpredictable factors will influence the game. For example will Everett Golson break a tackle ala Johnny Football that creates an additional opportunity that the defense is not ready for. Obviously the more athletic and skilled the players the greater the chance that the Bama defense is exposed in any way.

So what would I look for in this game:

1. How does ND gameplan to handle Alabama's balanced offense, aggressive seeking negative plays or controlled relying on mistakes?
2. How do ND's playmakers match-up against the Bama defense the day of the game?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.