Alabama "cardinal"

Minedweller

Dec 16, 2012
Much is being made about the slight uniform changes for the BCS title game. I wonder how many folks realize Alabama has been donning cardinal, not crimson, for years now? We can thank Nike for that!

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I think I must be too hetero to see the difference ;p

That's a joke folks - please don't get upset ;p

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Much is being made about the slight uniform changes for the BCS title game. I wonder how many folks realize Alabama has been donning cardinal, not crimson, for years now? We can thank Nike for that!
Not that it matters, but I can remember the unis from the 60`s and 70`s. I`ve thought for a while now that the colors were a deeper shade back then. Any of the "old timers" have a similar recollection or is it just my imagination?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Not that it matters, but I can remember the unis from the 60`s and 70`s. I`ve thought for a while now that the colors were a deeper shade back then. Any of the "old timers" have a similar recollection or is it just my imagination?
Here's a picture of some of the 1967 team. Looks very similar to the color today, but you can decide for yourself.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You are correct. In fact, our shade wasn't really that far off what MS St. was using. (Theirs has gotten darker, ours lighter.) That was the fifties. We really started lightening in the late 60s...

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
You are correct. In fact, our shade wasn't really that far off what MS St. was using. (Theirs has gotten darker, ours lighter.) That was the fifties. We really started lightening in the late 60s...
It seems to me that Tennessee's shade of orange has varied some over the years, as well.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
I used to be a manager for the men's track team at UA...so I worked in the equipment room "cage" everyday. I know from my time there that Nike did not have a color that fit Alabama the way Russell Athletics did. So, Nike had to create a color for us using the color code we gave them. All of the Nike gear used by the UA Athletics program used this same color. I want to say Rawlings had to do the same thing for baseball/softball...but am not 100% sure on that.

Maybe things have changed since then (this was almost a decade ago)...but I can assure you that Nike had a custom "Crimson" color made just for us according to the specs we gave them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It seems to me that Tennessee's shade of orange has varied some over the years, as well.
It's gotten lighter as well. It used to be a deeper orange. Their story is that it was the color of the posies on "The Hill." I never saw a flower that color in my life. I call their orange "pumpkin."

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
I used to be a manager for the men's track team at UA...so I worked in the equipment room "cage" everyday. I know from my time there that Nike did not have a color that fit Alabama the way Russell Athletics did. So, Nike had to create a color for us using the color code we gave them. All of the Nike gear used by the UA Athletics program used this same color. I want to say Rawlings had to do the same thing for baseball/softball...but am not 100% sure on that.

Maybe things have changed since then (this was almost a decade ago)...but I can assure you that Nike had a custom "Crimson" color made just for us according to the specs we gave them.
Looks to me like we still purchase standard off the shelf color helmets, as they don't appear to be an exact match to the jersey colors, especially the numerals on our away unis. Doesn't bother me and I really like that we still use the throwback grey face-masks. I'm not as uniform-centric as some . . . just wanna win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.