1 point safety in the Fiesta Bowl last night?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Learn something new everyday... A defensive safety on a conversion is the only possible way for a team to have a score of 1 in football. However, a defensive safety has not ever occurred in modern football.
So, if Oregon was kicking the extra point, and the snap went over the holder's head, the kicker ran backward to pick up the ball, but is chased backwards by defenders until he is tackled in his own end zone, that would be a defensive safety on a conversion.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
That's the first time that I've ever seen that call. Looks like the officials were well aware of the rule even though it happens only every blue moon.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A safety on a conversion, whether it's a kick or a 2 point, will result in 1 point... unless it's the team doing the conversion and somehow they get tackled in their own endzone... which would be a next to impossible scenario (Outside of saying the ball getting snapped too high and somehow going the length of the field into the other endzone).
i thought punting on a 4th and goal would be a next to impossible scenario until we played mich state ;)

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
KSU recovered a blocked extra point in the field of play, but the ball carrier then retreated into the end zone. The ball carrier then lateraled to another KSU player in the end zone and that player was subsequently tackled by Oregon while still in the end zone.
Kansas State blocked an extra point. When they recovered the ball and tried to advance it, they actually backed up into the endzone and Oregon tackled them there... resulting in the safety.
Extra point was blocked. Kansas st defender gets ball in inzone. Player try's to run it out of inzone only to get tackled before he does. Counts as 1 point instead of two point safty. Very rare.
Kansas State was kicking an extra point and Oregon blocked it. They recovered the extra point at the 2 yard line and the defender then ran backwards in the endzone and was tackled.

Hope this helps.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Kansas State was kicking an extra point and Oregon blocked it. They recovered the extra point at the 2 yard line and the defender then ran backwards in the endzone and was tackled.

Hope this helps.
I think you are mistaken. Oregon had scored a TD and was going for the extra point which was blocked by K State. Oregon ended up getting the extra point in a round about way.

That's just the kind of night K State was having. Everything went wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
A safety on a conversion, whether it's a kick or a 2 point, will result in 1 point... unless it's the team doing the conversion and somehow they get tackled in their own endzone... which would be a next to impossible scenario (Outside of saying the ball getting snapped too high and somehow going the length of the field into the other endzone).
I thought a blocked extra point run back was 2 pts? I remember NIU doing to us several years ago.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.