Jones Calls Players Only Meeting Today (Jones says never happened)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Re: Jones Calls Players Only Meeting Today

I seldom agree with 'Granny Holtz', but he's absolutely right.
The best team don't always win, but the one who want's it the most just might win.
You don't always get what you want, but most of the time you get what you deserve.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

my thought is the only reason we are hearing this now is because worrying fans consume more pre game analysis and with the weak bowl schedule there is nothing else to talk about
I wish I had the time to do that but unfortunately I've watched almost ZERO coverage of the game. Bits and pieces as I walk by the tv maybe but other than that nothing like I did in 2009 and last year. Maybe complacency is creeping in on me and I'm not as focused as an obsessed fan should be. LOL!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I seldom agree with 'Granny Holtz', but he's absolutely right.
The best team don't always win, but the one who want's it the most just might win.
This has been my biggest concern. ND can't help but me more hungry than Bama.

This is not to say we won't be focused (I think we will), but the "desire" element is a concern for me.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN

This is not to say we won't be focused (I think we will), but the "desire" element is a concern for me.
I have two theories for this game.

1. this will end up like the 2008 SEC championship, where ND is a very good team, just not quite ready for the big stage, and the champion prevails or

2. this will end up like the 2009 SEC championship game, where the champion is very good, just the challenger, by nature, is more hungry, and prevails.

I am taking option 1, but am preparing myself for 2.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

TIDE24[QUOTE said:
But make no mistake ND is prepared and ready. They may not be better than TX or LSU were, but I believe they are better coached and more focused than either of those two teams were. We must come with our A game.
ND has almost the same amount of time to prepared for Bama as LSU and Texas did. in fact, LSU had already played us prior to meeting Bama in the NC. I would say that LSU has more of an advantage than either Texas or ND with better athletes on both sides of the ball. your opinion that ND is better coached and more focused than LSU/Texas is subjective. as far as Bama focusing on this game, we have the best in the business.

it goes without saying, Bama will have to be at our best to win this match.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL

Hope the distraction isn't the city of Miami. Maybe they should play in Auburn instead, unless they're easily distracted by gazing at cattle.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I wish I had the time to do that but unfortunately I've watched almost ZERO coverage of the game. Bits and pieces as I walk by the tv maybe but other than that nothing like I did in 2009 and last year. Maybe complacency is creeping in on me and I'm not as focused as an obsessed fan should be. LOL!
I don't have the stomach for it anymore. The coverage has become 24/7, and there is just not that much to talk about so they begin to obsess over what ifs, and well, I tire of that quickly. I find it better for my blood pressure to just check in on Tidefans and leave ESPN alone until gameday. Heck, speaking of gameday... I don't even watch that show much anymore.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN

TIDE24 ND has almost the same amount of time to prepared for Bama as LSU and Texas did. in fact said:
your opinion that ND is better coached and more focused than LSU/Texas is subjective. as far as Bama focusing on this game, we have the best in the business[/B].

it goes without saying, Bama will have to be at our best to win this match.
Agreed. The reason I say this, is the things I hear coming from their caoches and players (not just this week but all season) is very similar to what I have been hearing in Tuscaloosa since CNS arrived. I believe they have a very similar mindset as our program as a whole.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

desire??? the Crimson Tide have a rare opportunity to make CFB history with this game on JAN. 7TH.

If they win, they become the 1st team to win the BCSNCG back to back.

if they win, they become the 1st team to win 3 out 4 NCs unanimously. even Nebraska had to shared the title in 97' with Michigan.

if they win, they become the 1st team in Bama's rich history to have won 3 NCs in 4 years. Coach Bryant's 1966 team had the ring taken away from them by the media bias.

if they win, they become the most decorated Crimson Tide team ever and considering how parity is closing in CFB , it makes the win that much more impressive!!

Last edited:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

I don't have the stomach for it anymore. The coverage has become 24/7, and there is just not that much to talk about so they begin to obsess over what ifs, and well, I tire of that quickly. I find it better for my blood pressure to just check in on Tidefans and leave ESPN alone until gameday. Heck, speaking of gameday... I don't even watch that show much anymore.
I agree plus every time I seem to be watching it's ALL Notre Dame. I felt ok about the game until Todd Mcshay totally trashed our secondary. Now it's back to stressing.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

I agree plus every time I seem to be watching it's ALL Notre Dame. I felt ok about the game until Todd Mcshay totally trashed our secondary. Now it's back to stressing.
first, who cares about todd mcshay? second, if he's going to trash our secondary, then he should trash ND's too...because they are no better than ours.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Alabama is a young team on defense. Personally, I felt that if Alabama could get past the early tests it would be relatively smooth sailing because they would mature as the year progressed.

It hasn't been that simple, but they have shown some progression. For instance, they gave up 425 yards against the 59th ranked offense in LSU. They gave up 394 yards against the 19th ranked offense in Georgia. That might not seem like a good thing, but they were playing against the second highest rated QB and they didn't let him beat them. Even in the Texas A&M game, Alabama got beat in the first quarter, after that they outplayed and outscored A&M.

There are issues, but if Murray, who accounted for 36 TDs and almost 3893 yards didn't carve them up, it doesn't seem like Notre Dame will. Alabama has a lot of practice time to address inexperience on defense. While I think this could be a close game, it's hard to imagine the Notre Dame team I saw doing a whole lot in the passing game against Alabama.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Kevin Norwood took a picture with Uncle Luke after practice. So I guess he was at practice?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The thing about our secondary is that they play pretty solid about 85% of the time but the other 15% are things like what McShay demonstrated. When we get beat, we get beat good this year. In 2011, I'd say the percentages were more like 95% success and 5% bust. I think if we can get that to 90/10 for this game, I think we'll win.

I've noticed some questionable recognition this year. The first TD by UGA, Lester came late into a blitz right when the TE motioned over to his side. Given that nobody else covered him, Lester's responsibility was probably to kill his blitz and check into a coverage on the TE. Other times, the corners seems to have little idea what the receiver is going to do on his deep breaks and they play timid which allows easy cuts into voids by the receiver. These are probably all symptoms of youth. They don't know what they're suppose to do against the personnel grouping and alignment within the call...the ball is snapped and they are just chasing ghosts.

Hopefully a month of prep for one offense will improve the mental awareness: less read, more react.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I even selectively open and read threads here on the Football Board -- titles that obviously point to something inordinately raising my anxiety level get skipped. However, my curiosity got the better of me with this thread. Sorry I opened it. Thank goodness it's almost "pitcher of margaritas" time.

RTR

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

so from what I have gathered on other Bama MBs was that Barrett and the seniors were unhappy with the earlier practices and he decided to called for a players' only meeting to get the younger players more focus .

what followed was a very intense and nasty practice in pads and shorts. :wink:

FYI, Saban and staff had nothing to do with the meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.