Overreacting to a loss

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
We've all done it. You cuss and get mad. Complain about coaches, play calling, any target will do. I've sat in the same seats in Memorial Stadium for 32 years. Some years I really couldn't afford to keep them. I did, made friends with a family from Pawhuska Okla. that have sat next to us for over 20 years. We send each other's families Christmas cards.
I called that friend tonight. he's been jokingly after me to sell him my seats for years. His family is bigger than mine, he's always bringing some guests. He now has my seats in Section 17, Row 45, Seats 14 and 15 as long as Bob Stoops is coaching the Sooners. I can handle losing. I cant handle not competing, not having teams ready to play.
Good Luck my friends on Monday night. I'll be rooting for you.
ROLL TIDE

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Unfortunately, Stoops is just not Mr. Clutch. Hasn't been for a long time.
I was at the Big 12 Championship game when all the Sooners had to do to go to the BCSCG was beat KSU.
KSU wiped the floor with the Sooners, like 34-7.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
We've all done it. You cuss and get mad. Complain about coaches, play calling, any target will do. I've sat in the same seats in Memorial Stadium for 32 years. Some years I really couldn't afford to keep them. I did, made friends with a family from Pawhuska Okla. that have sat next to us for over 20 years. We send each other's families Christmas cards.
I called that friend tonight. he's been jokingly after me to sell him my seats for years. His family is bigger than mine, he's always bringing some guests. He now has my seats in Section 17, Row 45, Seats 14 and 15 as long as Bob Stoops is coaching the Sooners. I can handle losing. I cant handle not competing, not having teams ready to play.
ROOL TIDE

Thanks for the wishes. I totally understand your frustration and agree bout Stoops. But I have to tell you to not be too disheartened. Manzail is not hype. He's just that frustratingly good.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I feel your pain, so glad for this era we are in...thanks for the good wishes. Big game Bob is surely living up to his nickname tonight. Johnny Football continues to amaze... :cool2:

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
ROOL TIDE
Don't give em up yet. If anything, keep them in your name and let the other family pay the ticket/club package fees with full use rights on a year to year basis. Wasn't that long ago when we were mired in frustration and embarrassment. It will get better . . . OU has too much to offer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've always liked OU and I know what you must be feeling. It's not been that long that we were there. Manziel is a once in a lifetime player, not just once in a decade...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Wishbone,

I think you ARE overreacting a bit. No shame in losing to this team and Manziel. This kid is something special and may very well go on to join Archie Griffin as the only multiple heisman winners. Bob just needs to get back to what got him where he is--coaching and focusing more on DEFENSE. He does that then you guys will be fine. As far as TAMU and johnny football go, heck, at least you don't have to play him the next 3 yrs like we do...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
no one believed us when we (the SEC) said this kid is good. well , this kid is good. BOL next year, as I hope you will be back before the season starts wishing us well as always.

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I still haven't gotten over the 1973 loss to Notre Dame. I believe a win Monday will help me forget it.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
It's very simple what has happened to Oklahoma. Just look at their defensive statistics from 2000 to 2012 and you see a gradual decline across the board. They decided to buy into the Big12 way: high-scoring offense and pedestrian defense. That's why they lose the big games now.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I remember when Alabama playing a Bob Stoops team close was almost a moral victory. We might want to poke fun ourselves, but from the DuBose-Shula era we would have gladly taken a Stoops like run. Of course there are other factors, but from 1997-2006 Alabama won one SEC championship and two bowl games (one vacated). So, to look at Bob Stoops run with one NC, 8 conference titles, and 7 bowl game victories, the reality is that isn't a bad run.

I get the concern, a lot of the success was early on, but if not for the SEC, Stoops could have two more national titles. If he had three titles, I don't think anyone would dare suggest there is something wrong. I think that's the issue. The SEC is something special, and now Texas A&M has some of the magic themselves. No, the SEC didn't create Johnny, but Texas A&M is benefiting from renewed interest in the program. Their 2011 recruiting class had a 2.95 star average, the 2012 class, boosted by their joining the SEC had a 3.42 average.

Personally, I'm glad Oklahoma isn't in the SEC. I think the other schools would benefit very little from having Oklahoma in the conference. However, I think the biggest problem Oklahoma has is that they're not in the SEC. I'm not sure you even blame Stoops, any more than you blame Chip Kelly or any other non-SEC coach that hasn't been able to stop the SEC. Mind you, I'm including recruiting. Remember when Oklahoma was in the hunt for Julio? Do we want to consider how much that might have changed things?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can totally see reaching the end of your rope after seemingly never getting over the hump. Stoops reminds me of an upgraded Richt - he has all the pieces in place and can't seem to make it happen (save his second season).

Stoops is definitely one of the top few coaches in the land, not sure what's been wrong in Norman over the last few years. No shame in averaging >10 wins/season, but eventually you have to be in contention or the fans get restless...

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I wonder how much harm 2 things have done to the BIGXII:

1.Conference realignment. It all really started here and the major effects, imo, have been that the conference seems unstable and that it is now weaker overall especially from a name recognition perspective.

2.Spread offense QBs don't fare well in the NFL. The spread option mobile QB is hot right now in the NFL but those guys from the late 90's-late 2000's that threw 500-600 passes per year and were considered "system" QBs typically didn't make the transition well. You need to be able to read a defense and make all the throws in the NFL and too many of these QBs never developed their mental games.

IMHO, if the BIGXII doesn't get back to power football and defense, and do it pretty soon, that whole conference is in trouble. OU & Texas don't scare anyone right now. No one can leave the conference because of the TV $$$ in the conference contracts. The rest of that conference is middle tier material at best.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wonder how much harm 2 things have done to the BIGXII:

1.Conference realignment. It all really started here and the major effects, imo, have been that the conference seems unstable and that it is now weaker overall especially from a name recognition perspective.

2.Spread offense QBs don't fare well in the NFL. The spread option mobile QB is hot right now in the NFL but those guys from the late 90's-late 2000's that threw 500-600 passes per year and were considered "system" QBs typically didn't make the transition well. You need to be able to read a defense and make all the throws in the NFL and too many of these QBs never developed their mental games.

IMHO, if the BIGXII doesn't get back to power football and defense, and do it pretty soon, that whole conference is in trouble. OU & Texas don't scare anyone right now. No one can leave the conference because of the TV $$$ in the conference contracts. The rest of that conference is middle tier material at best.
That doesn't really describe Manziel though. His reads are uncanny for a RS frosh. Of course, it helps to have an OL that gives him enough time to sit back there and eat a ham sandwich...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.