Overreacting to a loss

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I believe all of us here can relate to your pain. We may feel it for a couple of more years. I can't believe that Manziel will stay beyond his Jr year. Fortunately for Bama, I think he will lose a great portion of this year's supporting cast next year. That should make a difference. Plus, I expect Bama to be better.
Good luck next year. Don't be so harsh on your guys, it could be worse (re: *ubrun).

Roll Tsunami, Roll...A'ight!

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
That doesn't really describe Manziel though. His reads are uncanny for a RS frosh. Of course, it helps to have an OL that gives him enough time to sit back there and eat a ham sandwich...
Excellent point. Most of his big plays are when he has 3 or 4 seconds to survey everything down field. By that time defenders get pulled away and he has time to throw or he has running lanes and can take off. JF is talented no doubt, but I haven't seen many DL in the backfield forcing him to change direction right after the snap. It will be interesting to see what he does next year with the two OL taken in the 1st round. Lets hope there's a drop off - @A&M next September is going to be very tough.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I think you guys will be in the hunt again within the next couple of years. Next year may be difficult because you lose L. Jones (from reading sooner forums, that may be a good or bad thing), but it's only been 5 years since you were in the NCG. It took Bama 17 years to get back to it. It will get better.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I understand your frustration with Stoops. Let me come right out and say it - I don't think Bob Stoops is a very good IN-GAME coach. Consider his record AFTER his national championship year of 2000, admittedly a magical year all the way around. In seven-point games since 2001, OU is 16-15. If the Sooners can't put 28 points on a team in the first quarter, they simply don't know what to do. Keep in mind that back when Oklahoma got all the hype, you beat us twice, once by 10 points and once by seven. And if you recall those games, you beat a 4-9 team with a fake punt and couldn't stop the other one in 2002. (Remember, OU made one big play the entire second half and then Tyler Watts fumbled away the comeback).

This tells me that if OU hits you in the mouth and you hit them back - they have no clue what to do. Simply compare our game against aTm with OU's. They tore into us early for a 20-point gash then we pretty well held them in check the rest of the way. The fact we lost - in the end - was not our failure to adjust but failure to execute. True, OU kept it close earlier but then again we had given OU a great tutorial of what NOT to do at the start. Once adjustments were made it was over.

So I can understand the frustration. That said - he's no John Blake.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
We've all done it. You cuss and get mad. Complain about coaches, play calling, any target will do. I've sat in the same seats in Memorial Stadium for 32 years. Some years I really couldn't afford to keep them. I did, made friends with a family from Pawhuska Okla. that have sat next to us for over 20 years. We send each other's families Christmas cards.
I called that friend tonight. he's been jokingly after me to sell him my seats for years. His family is bigger than mine, he's always bringing some guests. He now has my seats in Section 17, Row 45, Seats 14 and 15 as long as Bob Stoops is coaching the Sooners. I can handle losing. I cant handle not competing, not having teams ready to play.
Good Luck my friends on Monday night. I'll be rooting for you.
ROOL TIDE
Hang in there wishbonesooner. I feel your pain. There were times last night when OU was running the ball well and then on 3rd down and 2 looked to the pass when they would have gotten 1st downs by just running the ball. Didn't they say that Stoops was 1 - 7 in his last 8 bowls? Who is the OC?

There is nothing to be ashamed of losing to Manziel and the Aggies. He is one unique player. Size 15 shoe, man, how does he move so quickly on those BIG feet. Maybe we should call him Big Foot. People have been looking for Big Foot for a long time. Now, Bama and Oklahome found him this year!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Hang in there wishbonesooner. I feel your pain. There were times last night when OU was running the ball well and then on 3rd down and 2 looked to the pass when they would have gotten 1st downs by just running the ball. Didn't they say that Stoops was 1 - 7 in his last 8 bowls? Who is the OC?

There is nothing to be ashamed of losing to Manziel and the Aggies. He is one unique player. Size 15 shoe, man, how does he move so quickly on those BIG feet. Maybe we should call him Big Foot. People have been looking for Big Foot for a long time. Now, Bama and Oklahome found him this year!
Sorry for the typo! That should have been Oklahoma.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
Bob Stoops is nearly excactly like Mark Richt in that he wins too many games to be fired, but always seems to come up short on the big stage. He doesn't seem to be able to get his guys up for the type of games that would put them in the elite catagory.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Personally I think that Stoops is in between a rock and a hard place. I think he knows that power (pro-set, play action) offense and run stuffing defense is the way to go. That's basically what he ran when he first got to OU. However, he morphed his team into a wide-open spread attack. Needless to say, his defense has subsequently let him down in big games. He knows you cant consistently beat a physical SEC team with an up-tempo finesse team for the national championship but at the same time his entire conference schedule consists of spread oriented teams. Therefore he needs a defense more suited to stop those teams - but invariably that will guarantee 1 or 2 losses each year. But this style defense is no match for the SEC offenses by and large who still attempt to control the clock.

I think Stoops would like to switch his team back to the more traditional model that will championships and send players to the NFL; but he would likely endure a few subpar seasons doing so and, today, he may not have enough job security even with his OU record to make the transition. In opposite effect with RichRod at UM, Tuberville and Chizik, we have seen what dire consequences are out there when switching to and from the spread attack.

If Stoops indeed wants to get over the hump and get back to more traditional football, he may likely have to do it by going to another program where under new administration he reset the vision for the program. I dont know if they did or not, but if I had been Tennessee I would have made a hard run at Stoops on this basis.

OU is a traditional program that ought to be built on physical offense and defense - they have the cache to recruit the players need to run that style. Until they do I dont see them challenging nationally. Notre Dame has come out of nowhere in no time doing just that - no reason OU cant do the same.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
That doesn't really describe Manziel though. His reads are uncanny for a RS frosh. Of course, it helps to have an OL that gives him enough time to sit back there and eat a ham sandwich...
My posts was to the OP and the current issues with OU and the BIGXII in general(and their struggles), not Manziel. Manziel would fall under

The spread option mobile QB is hot right now in the NFL

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
They'll still be in my name. I'll just call my friend when they come in and sell them at face value. No, I don't want to deal with that waiting list.
Probably the best approach.

As others have pointed out, Stoops is another Richt. The biggest thing working against him is that he gets to yearly pummel the biggest fraud in CFB: Coach February, of the Whiny Orange. As long as that loser has the steers convinced he is a good coach, your guys will be expected to play the same way against real competition.

Most of us here can empathize with your dilemma. Hang in there.......it could always be worse...........you could be in Austin.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
We've all done it. You cuss and get mad. Complain about coaches, play calling, any target will do. I've sat in the same seats in Memorial Stadium for 32 years. Some years I really couldn't afford to keep them. I did, made friends with a family from Pawhuska Okla. that have sat next to us for over 20 years. We send each other's families Christmas cards.
I called that friend tonight. he's been jokingly after me to sell him my seats for years. His family is bigger than mine, he's always bringing some guests. He now has my seats in Section 17, Row 45, Seats 14 and 15 as long as Bob Stoops is coaching the Sooners. I can handle losing. I cant handle not competing, not having teams ready to play.
Good Luck my friends on Monday night. I'll be rooting for you.
ROOL TIDE
I think you are the Best poster from another school ever.
dont give up I really like OU you will get there I'm sure. You all have had a lot of bad luck.

No shame to lose to Deliverence boy, we will get him next time & so will you.

Just keep ESPN the hell out of your training camp.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I think Stoops would like to switch his team back to the more traditional model that will championships and send players to the NFL; but he would likely endure a few subpar seasons doing so and, today, he may not have enough job security even with his OU record to make the transition. In opposite effect with RichRod at UM, Tuberville and Chizik, we have seen what dire consequences are out there when switching to and from the spread attack.
Don't forget Florida. Over the last two years, they're the poster child for the ill effects of transitioning from a spread attack.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think parody has totally arrived in football. That makes the run we are having right now even more special.
I wouldn't give up on Stoops just yet. Of course it's frustrating to loose, but OU is always goning to be in the hunt.
The Sooners will win the big one again. Everything cycles.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.