CBS Sports Reports the Team Meeting Did Happen

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Weird how this story has formed. First reports said Barrett called the meeting. He said it didn't happen and didn't know the origin of the story. Then, a few players talk about it today.

After one of No. 2 Alabama's practices leading up to Monday night's BCS Championship Game lacked satisfactory effort, team veterans called a players-only meeting.

"I just wanted to see what those guys were thinking and where their head was at," senior defensive end Damion Square said. "I just told them we need to focus on the task at hand."

Speaking at Saturday morning's media day session before the Crimson Tide face No. 1 Notre Dame, Alabama's players attributed the lack of effort to the numerous distractions offered with the attention the national championship generates.

"At times, you can get caught up in the exterior things of what's going on," senior offensive guard Chance Warmack said. "I think everybody just had to revamp and get back to focusing to what we're trying to do. This is a business trip. You just have to stay focused and everybody here is human. At times, you can be distracted."

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I really think this 'meeting' is being taken out of context and blown waaaaaay out of proportion by the media. The media is playing it as controversial; but, anyone that's played sports at the high school level and up knows that 'team meetings' are fairly common when you have good leadership on a team.

Another example of how they've pushed this game out too far. The media is just clamoring for something they can sink their teeth into.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
:conf2:This is simply the team leaders being leaders. There is really no story here. The media has exhausted subjects to talk about, so can we please just kick off soon? RTR.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Too long of a layoff between the end of the seccg and the bcscg. The media talking heads need something to discuss so the espn guys, and every other media outlet, jumped on this 'story'. No big deal to me. These player only meetings happen all the time. Another case of paralysis by analysis by espn, cbs sports etc imo. We straight.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The Devils Advocate says:

No matter how much fluff we drum up and try to pass off as news the internet boards are all a flutter talking about the stories.

Hype sells.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
There was no "special" meeting... it was a meeting they have every week, where a few players stepped up... chill out

Tguy64

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 19, 2005
:conf2:This is simply the team leaders being leaders. There is really no story here. The media has exhausted subjects to talk about, so can we please just kick off soon? RTR.
I applaud the "team leaders" for doing this. Let's remember, we have some new people involved that need to perform and have not been here before. IMHO, let's not get overly involved in this thread. This happens a lot more in college ball than we hear about. Let's applaud Barrett and the leadership for calling a meeting. I have full confidence in Coach Saban, i.e., if there is a lack of "FOCUS", he has it under control by now.

ROLL TIDE!

If
"

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Saban mentioned it on the coaches show, said their practice wasnt where it needed to be, they had a come to jesus meeting, and says the team has been practicing well since, says they are ready to play.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The thing is, we don't know how the question was framed to Barrett. I'm sure this is not the first meeting of this sort this season. In fact, I know it's not. The reporters are like slavering wolves by this time, with nothing new to write about. The probability is that Barrett had a leading question put to him to the effect that this was extraordinary, maybe desperate, and he answered honestly. I'd be very surprised if it happened differently. At any rate - non-story...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.