Bowl season just about complete - a look at N.D. and Bama opponents

4thGenBamaGrad

1st Team
Nov 4, 2007
Boca Raton, FL
With the conclusion of the bowl season for N.D. and Bama opponents, I thought it a good time to reflect on the opponents of these two teams. This isn't for media bashing or trash-talking--just for those of us, including myself, who are still a nervous wreck about Monday's game.

We may not have had the tough schedules from previous years, but this glorification of Notre Dame's schedule this year has to stop.

And even though this is a game fought between 18-22 year olds--we should win unless everything goes wrong for us and right for ND. We always got everyone's best this year, and we can expect the same from this Notre Dame team

But we know how to win--especially when we use what works.

AlabamaNotre Dame
Best Opponent#7 Georgia (W 32-28)
- Bowl: def. #16 Nebraska 45-31
#6 Stanford (W 20-13 OT)
- Bowl: def. Wisconsin 20-13
2nd Best#9 Texas A&M (L 24-29)
- Bowl: def. #11 Oklahoma 41-13
#11 Oklahoma (W 30-13)
- Bowl: lost to #9 Texas A&M 13-41
3rd Best#8 LSU (W 21-17)
- Bowl: lost to #14 Clemson 24-25
#18 Michigan (W 13-6)
- Bowl: lost to #10 South Carolina 28-33
4th Best#18 Michigan (W 41-14)
- Bowl: lost to #10 South Carolina 28-33
Michigan St (W 20-3)
- Bowl: def TCU 17-16
5th BestMississippi (W 33-14)
- Bowl: def. Pittsburgh 38-17
USC (W 22-13)
- Bowl: lost to Georgia Tech 21-7
6th BestMississippi St (W 38-7)
- Bowl: lost to Northwestern 20-34
Miami (W 41-3)
- Bowl: DNP
7th BestArkansas (W 52-0)
- Bowl: DNP
Pittsburgh (W 29-26 3OT)
- Bowl: lost to Mississippi 17-38

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
What i have been saying for weeks the opponents ND has played did not compare to ALABAMA'S. Let ND play bama's schedule they would have lost 3 games. Bama wins by 13.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
I think the Ole Miss-Pitt game and the aTm-OU game are the most telling. OU was supposed to be their coming out and Pitt was the letdown game a la aTm for us. No comparison on either count as our aTm effort against Pitt on the best day they played this year would have netted a 21 point win as I see it. OU's offense exposed by aTm's defense as being a tad bit overrated. Only turnovers or an injury to several key players will keep ND in it with us to the 4th quarter IMHO. Bama 27-10

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Well it could be argued that BYU was a better team than Pittsburgh. They lost to ND 17-14 and beat San Diego State 23-6, but I get your point. The thing I see is that Bama played 3 teams, LSU, Georgia and Texas A&M, that were better than ND's toughest opponent Stanford and beat 2 of the 3.

In my opinion Bama blew the Texas A&M game just like LSU did against Clemson late in the fourth quarter. Throwing the ball from the 5 yard line with goal to goal or at least 4 straight called passes,(the one run was a QB scramble on a called pass play), when we should have ran the ball. But.....;)

I think definitely more talented across the board, with the exception of QB. As a team, A&M was coached so much better and the QB mades such a difference, I'd have to go with A&M...
That's probably true as the season went on. But I look at LSUs game with Florida. Minter went out with injury, for a minute. Kwon Alexander breaks ankle. Which allows Gillislee to run. That's why UF wins that game, not because UF's a better team. Plus, Metty with his lights on makes LSU better. Just my opinion. There game with us though, we kept them in it, just like A&M. We, Florida, and LSU figured JM out. We just made the mistakes that the other didn't to win the game, and we lost one we shouldn't have. The QB didn't make the difference Bama's mistakes did though.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I would argue that Western KY was better than Arkansas and BYU was better than Miami or Pitt; but, really, it's a moot point. The bowl results for both team's opposition was kind of a mixed bag. It's hard for either side to win an argument comparing bowl scores (although for as much empahsis as ND fans have put on their OU win, their beatdown against aTm says a lot :wink: ).

We're down to about 36 hours left, then the proof will be in the pudding.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.