Question: How Awesome is the ND o-line?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I realize that Bama will be lucky to get a first down. With the stars aligning just so we might get to the 50. I'm just wondering if the ND o-line is as all world as their d-line. I just haven't heard any talk of it other than Bama will have trouble containg Johnny Football II and that our secondary is a weak link.

Anyone know?

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
They are ok, certainly not at Alabama's level. The left side is the stronger, more experienced side. Running against you guys is going to be tough to be honest.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
They start three guys who will be drafted this year, a fourth who will be a first rounder next year possibly, and the fifth is the strongest of the bunch... dang it... that's us, not them... all this coverage has me confused

NDGiantsKings

Suspended
Dec 2, 2012
Very good pass blocking OL, run blocking is above average. Best players are LT Martin(should be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick next year) and C Cave(physical specimen with a great combine should be one of the top 3 centers taken this year)

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I realize that Bama will be lucky to get a first down. With the stars aligning just so we might get to the 50. I'm just wondering if the ND o-line is as all world as their d-line. I just haven't heard any talk of it other than Bama will have trouble containg Johnny Football II and that our secondary is a weak link.

Anyone know?
I watched some analysts showing breakdowns of how Golson can beat you with his feet and on each play they showed vs USC their OL were beaten but the DL's did not maintain their lanes. Bama plays with a lot of discipline on defense so I'm hoping we stifle them pretty well.

Most of the analyst seem to think Bama tries to keep Golson in the pocket because he's not tall enough to see well from back there and use a spy, CJ Moseley, if he's able to break out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I watched some analysts showing breakdowns of how Golson can beat you with his feet and on each play they showed vs USC their OL were beaten but the DL's did not maintain their lanes. Bama plays with a lot of discipline on defense so I'm hoping we stifle them pretty well.

Most of the analyst seem to think Bama tries to keep Golson in the pocket because he's not tall enough to see well from back there and use a spy, CJ Moseley, if he's able to break out.
That's our normal MO with mobile QBs, and I'm sure that's what we'll use tomorrow. There have been two times it didn't work in the last five years - JJ in the first game last year when we weren't prepared, and, of course, Manziel in first quarter (only). I may start to worry in the game, but, right now, Golson does not worry me. That's not where the game is. Remember, Saban has had a month+...

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
That's our normal MO with mobile QBs, and I'm sure that's what we'll use tomorrow. There have been two times it didn't work in the last five years - JJ in the first game last year when we weren't prepared, and, of course, Manziel in first quarter (only). I may start to worry in the game, but, right now, Golson does not worry me. That's not where the game is. Remember, Saban has had a month+...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed we contained Manziel, especially in the 2nd half. Basically I saw us rushing 4 as he ran 21 points ahead of us, then as we rushed 5 we were ok. Oh well, they still deserved that great win.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
In terms of talent comparing ND OL to the Bama OL is a rather obvious mismatch. However they are talented with what I'd grade as a very good LT, LG, & C combo with a servicable-to-solid RG & RT combo. The strength is on the left side of the line.

However evaluating them as a unit and their fundamentals I've been impressed, surprisingly impressed. I generally don't watch much ND fb, but caught pieces of several games this year and have gone back to espn3 and watched them vs USC, BC, & Oklahoma. They hold their own, aren't great, but do the job with fundamentls in the passing game. However in the run game they impress. They zone and man block. The impressive thing is how low-hard and quick they FIRE off the snap. They are tenacious, lacking the talent of maulers like Fluker, Warmack, & Steen, but are every bit their equals when it comes to firing off the ball and staying low. Translation, they're fundamentally sound and know how to play the game. They're not small either, all are listed at 300+, but just over and most are 6'4" or better.

To boot the ND run game seems to be a 'seam' run game where the RBs run less to a hole, but look for a seam/crease. On that note Riddick is legit and aside from Gurly and possibly the LSU freshman will probably be the best RB Bama sees this year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I kinda equate this unit to our 2009 team's OL. They're the strength nobody expected. I will say that this OL probably fights a bit harder than Alabama's OL has for the balance of season. Less talented but experienced, sound, and fierce. Strength and talent go a long way but you can't put a price on mean streak.

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
actually i think they are not a strength. watched some video and they rely on the qb to bail them out at times. they collapse often. one of the main reasons i think kelly stuck with EG the whole year because they need his legs to bail out the line

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Anyone know?
That seems to be the story line the 'Talking Heads' are going with.
I liked 'Fairy Tales' when I was a child... ;)

RTR :BigA:

Alabama 34
ND 14

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

Saw that last night... reminded me of how we shut down Denard Robinson in our first game this year. Probably won't have a lot of sacks this game, but "keep him in the pockets" counts should be very high. At the end of the day, you've got to ask the question "Is EG better than/as good as JM?" JM is the only QB we faced this year that could escape that game plan with any type of regularity. My answer? You've got to be kidding... at best EG is equivalent with Denard Robinson... and you see how that one worked out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.