ESPN team has its marching orders - diss Bama...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Oh, good grief! You're forced to take a WR and turn him into a skinny RB and it's an advantage?
Lol I was thinking the same thing. Commentators get so excited/enamored when a player plays two positions. Its normally because he isn't really good at either one, but average at both.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Re: ESPN team has its marching orders...

If you think that because I started the thread, you're dead wrong. I was running away from sitcoms with laugh tracks and ran across this...
Welcome to my world, Earle.

The price I pay for having had upgraded the home theatre set-up to now include a 60" plasma - to watch Bama football, of course - is having to endure my g/f and her son's penchant for such shows.

I simply cannot abide them.

Unfortunately, I don't get ESPN up here in Canada - though tomorrow's game will be picked up by a Canadian cable sports channel...

I plan on DVR'g the game, but gather from what I'm seeing in this thread that I should probably not bother recording the 1/2 hour pre-game?

Last edited:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Re: ESPN team has its marching orders...

ESPN is a business.
ND has a nation audience, that they are playing to.
Add to that, the "SEC fatigue" audience, and color me unsurprised that ESPN would pander to those audiences.
The pander to USCw for much the same reason, not that the pandering did the Trojans much good.
^^THIS^^

Anyone who was around in the 60s and 70s knows the drill. It's not surprising.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I watched some sort of special on ABC yesterday. It was ridiculous, yes they threw in some Alabama stuff but it was like 10 minute filmed segment on Notre Dame, 2 minute filmed segment on Alabama. They also interviewed coaches, Nick Saban, Brian Kelly, Lou Holtz, and Aria howeveryouspellit.

That's right, they interviewed four coaches, only one of them coached at Alabama.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The show was mostly about ND, but all three guys picked us. Haha.

I thought I heard that Holtz picked us as well. Is that right? I guess Espn figures they have to please the ND fans in some way.

Kind of like how Pollack was praising UGA all week before the SECCG but come Saturday morning, he picked us to win.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Honestly, since ND has the NBC deal, it would seem they might prefer to shine the light on Alabama.
The only time I watch ESPN is when I am working out at the gym, and I have seen discussions about whether Alabama is a dynasty or not, where Saban ranks among the all time greats, how dominant Alabama's defense has been to have ranked where it has the last several years, and basically, just how we are the best program around.
I mean, it's not like ESPN ignores us. But, they have done these specials on us three of the last four years. It is understandable they might give Notre Dame a little more air time.

and, no I am not watching what is on now.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I thought I heard that Holtz picked us as well. Is that right? I guess Espn figures they have to please the ND fans in some way.

Kind of like how Pollack was praising UGA all week before the SECCG but come Saturday morning, he picked us to win.

I haven't heard who Lou picked. He knows deep down who the best team is. :)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Desmond Howard has been the most honest. He was shaking his head at times when the others were lathering it on thick for the Irish. When they droned on about Golson he said to compare him to AJ was ridiculous. Said he never remembered AJ bein yanked in 5 games so the team wouldn't lose. I thought he was the most honest in the early show.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Glad I didn't waste my time watching it...I watched about 15-20 mins yesterday on what was supposed to be the Bama portion and it was pretty much a ND infomercial, so I quit watching. Haven't watched any coverage on ESPN since.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Funny. On NDNation they're also talking about how biased ESPN's coverage is so far, but against Notre Dame. Having not watched any of it, I have no idea if they, we, or both are delusional...
It was really just the first five minutes. It got better after that. It seemed that they'd been told to get on the air and dismiss any idea that ND was likely to get beaten...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It was really just the first five minutes. It got better after that. It seemed that they'd been told to get on the air and dismiss any idea that ND was likely to get beaten...
Either way, Earle, at least you escaped the cruel fate of having to endure those sitcoms with the canned laughter...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Either way, Earle, at least you escaped the cruel fate of having to endure those sitcoms with the canned laughter...
Yes, this is true. However, my wife wanted me to tune into a chick play on APN (at least that's my assumption, since all her Facebook friends who were watching it were female). When I wasn't fast enough, she stomped off to the other end of the house to watch it there... :)

U of A

3rd Team
Oct 16, 2011
Nashville TN 37211
I haven't watched ESPN since Florida lost to the Cards...haven't missed it at all. No surprise that they're pulling for the Domers. It's fine with me though. On another note, what's with all the gloom and doom about tomorrow? If you don't tune in to that crap it won't affect you. I'm pretty confident that CNS and staff has the team more than ready for tomorrow night seeing as how he's had 30+ days to solidify the "process". I'm looking forward to a great game! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.