Did we "Geno" Manti Te'o?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
He wasn't a factor against a vastly superior offensive line and powerful running game.

That said, he was gracious in his comments about congratulating Bama. So he seems to be a good guy.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The analyst this AM (Smith?) had it right when he said that ND was simply not used to the speed they were seeing and, as a consequence, were taking bad angles. This was particularly true with MT. He just wasn't as mobile as I expected...
This is what appeared to me caught MT off guard. There were several plays where MT went to tackle EL and when he "got there" EL wasn't there. He had already planted and changed directions. Begrudgingly, Urban Meyer said it halftime. ND isn't used to the speed. In the regular season they were able to take bad angles and still get to the ball carrier but not last night. Take a bad angle and as MT learned you get toasted.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is what appeared to me caught MT off guard. There were several plays where MT went to tackle EL and when he "got there" EL wasn't there. He had already planted and changed directions. Begrudgingly, Urban Meyer said it halftime. ND isn't used to the speed. In the regular season they were able to take bad angles and still get to the ball carrier but not last night. Take a bad angle and as MT learned you get toasted.
During the regular season, those angles weren't "bad," because the players they were trying to tackle were so much slower...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Te'o was the primary victim of Barrett Jones handling Louis Nix one-on-one when the MO of the 3-4 defense is for the NT to command a double team.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Re: Did we.Geno Manti Te'o?

We have seen the look before. Gino Torretta, Jordan Jefferson are two that come to mind. He appeared confused and angry. He knew they were getting thumped and there was nothing he could do about it.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world

Someone here locally made a good analysis that Te'o is a lot like Bosworth. Whole lot of hype little bit of substance, football wise.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Well, judging by Kelley's comments at the half - 'Coach, what's it going to take for your team to come back in the 2nd half?' Kelley: 'For Bama not to come back out.' - I'd say that they quit from top to bottom.
one of the most honest responses I've ever heard from a coach...and tough for a coach to say, but I think he knew that his team was out mateched, and he gave credit to the team they were playing...

I gained a lot of respect for him from that halftime interview, and how he and his players handled the after game interviews.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Is it just me, or did Teo look like someone who would be a safety on our team. I have no clue what his height/weight is, but he looked maybe 6'1 220 lbs. Pretty small for a middle linebacker by bama standards, or any college football teams standards for that matter. I havent watched any ND games prior to this one, but from the highlights I've seen I thought he would be bigger in stature than he looked last night.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Is it just me, or did Teo look like someone who would be a safety on our team. I have no clue what his height/weight is, but he looked maybe 6'1 220 lbs. Pretty small for a middle linebacker by bama standards, or any college football teams standards for that matter. I havent watched any ND games prior to this one, but from the highlights I've seen I thought he would be bigger in stature than he looked last night.
ESPN lists him as 6'2, 255, which appears to be about average for Bama's LBs' height. He weighs a little more than most of Bama's LBs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

ESPN lists him as 6'2, 255, which appears to be about average for Bama's LBs' height. He weighs a little more than most of Bama's LBs.
Oh ok. He just didnt look 255 to me. It'll be interesting to see what he measures at the combine. Most players are an inch or two shorter than their list height. Not that it really matters, I was just curious.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I noticed the entire game he just looked bewildered. A couple of times, I could have sworn I saw him crying while on the field. It might have just been sweat though, but to me he looked visibly upset. I recall him chasing after Lacy several times and you could tell he was frustrated just by the way he was running.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Fantasy came face to face with reality last night. Now Notre Dame knows what "Big Boy" football means.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.