Urban Meyer's comments in the latter part of the post game BCS Championship Show

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I seem to recall that some hit him pretty hard when he took the OSU job.
Though it wasn't asked, the un-asked question was definitely obvious. When the panel began rehashing the reasons why the SEC has won 7 consecutive titles Urban was asked to explain it as well. As he was doing it his situation and how he handled it was just screaming to be talked about but no one had the rocks to do it. But trust me. The panel was thinking about it.

Last edited:

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Urban Meyer is a believer in the virtues of the spread offense...so naturally he thinks that a spread team will always beat a pro set team...

and most of the country that watched the game last night would disagree with him this morning.
And in the pregame he kept drilling the fact that Alabama uses spread principles.

jsanderson

Scout Team
Nov 17, 2007
What happened to coach sumlin? He started off the pregame but never was brought back. And I bet Myers had that same feeling of pressure he felt at Florida while sitting there watching the Tide steam roll the domers.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
What happened to coach sumlin? He started off the pregame but never was brought back. And I bet Myers had that same feeling of pressure he felt at Florida while sitting there watching the Tide steam roll the domers.
If I had to guess it was probably because all the accolades he was giving Bama pre-game. Sumlin seemed to make no bones about who and why was going to win the game. Not enough ND love coming from him I guess.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
"I would like to see Alabama play against the top 25 teams in the country back to back and when they finally slip up, declare the winner national champion." - Urban Meyer, inspired by Tim Brando.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I watched Mike & Mike on ESPN. I have to say I was surprised and pleased at the way he gave Alabama its due for the dismantling of ND. In addition, he really humanized the loss by ND as he talked about his two sons on the team -- one a 5th yr senior and the other a 4th year senior. I have to say this segment was very powerful.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I watched Mike & Mike on ESPN. I have to say I was surprised and pleased at the way he gave Alabama its due for the dismantling of ND. In addition, he really humanized the loss by ND as he talked about his two sons on the team -- one a 5th yr senior and the other a 4th year senior. I have to say this segment was very powerful.
The good thing about Golic is he actually played the game. He's a real athlete. Not some journalist who though loves sports and wish he could have been great, never played anything past t-ball. Golic understands that sometimes you just aren't as good as your opponent. So rather than blustering up excuses and side stepping the obvious. He just said it like was and moved on. Good dude.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Well I'd like to see O for Auburn Urban still at Florida, but he left to watch his kids grow up. I know kids grow fast nowadays but really - his kids grew up, graduated high school & college & got married in ONE YEAR?
I pity those Meyer kids. They had one year with Daddy before he abandoned them again.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I've had all Mike Golic I can stomach. I got up to watch him eat crow. He took a large helping but he had no choice.

These unabashed Domers like Golic and Lou Holtz drive me crazy. I thought Lou was going to cry and make his spray on tan run. Rece Davis and Todd Blackledge are the classy guys. You'd never know where they went to school and that's how it should be. I don't mind a guy being for his school, but Golic and Holtz are homers. It only makes it worse that they are for ND. No other school gets away with that.

Back on topic, I may be the only Bama fan that likes Urban Meyer. I watched him at Utah and Florida and have a lot of respect for him. I give him the benefit of the doubt for leaving coaching because of health issues and then deciding he had to get back in. It reminds me of Brett Farve.

NJRollTide

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 20, 2009
it's because urban's a conceited jerk and he can't fathom that there's a coach out there that's so much better than himself. saban literally ran him out of the conference and no one will ever convince me otherwise.
DEAD ON- biggest phony going and he thinks everyone else is a moron and we can't figure out his deal.

NJRollTide

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 20, 2009
I've had all Mike Golic I can stomach. I got up to watch him eat crow. He took a large helping but he had no choice.

These unabashed Domers like Golic and Lou Holtz drive me crazy. I thought Lou was going to cry and make his spray on tan run. Rece Davis and Todd Blackledge are the classy guys. You'd never know where they went to school and that's how it should be. I don't mind a guy being for his school, but Golic and Holtz are homers. It only makes it worse that they are for ND. No other school gets away with that.

Back on topic, I may be the only Bama fan that likes Urban Meyer. I watched him at Utah and Florida and have a lot of respect for him. I give him the benefit of the doubt for leaving coaching because of health issues and then deciding he had to get back in. It reminds me of Brett Farve.

What about the other half of Meyer's excuse...that he wanted to spend more time with his family? Then he's broadcasting games for ESPN every week. Did his family disappear or was it exactly what "davefrat" said? That he was scared of Saban. Figured he could go to Ohio St, rule the Big 10 and then take his chances in only 1 game against the SEC. It's so obvious

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
The good thing about Golic is he actually played the game. He's a real athlete. Not some journalist who though loves sports and wish he could have been great, never played anything past t-ball. Golic understands that sometimes you just aren't as good as your opponent. So rather than blustering up excuses and side stepping the obvious. He just said it like was and moved on. Good dude.
I was only able to listen to about 10 minutes of the Mike n' Mike show this morning, but the Golic part that I heard enhanced my respect for the man. He is obviously a huge Notre Dame loyalist, but he was giving Alabama full credit for dominating his team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.