Question: AJ's place on Alabama's Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
In my lifetime he is the top Alabama QB. It's very hard to compare him to Stabler, Namath, or Starr, because those are all Super Bowl quarterbacks.

Unfortunately, the Alabama quarterbacks of my lifetime are career NFL backups, if that. AJ has a chance to break through that though, if he has a great season he could land someplace that wants him as their starter and might be willing to use a first round pick (another thing I don't believe has happened in my lifetime).

As it is right now, I used to feel Jay Barker was the ideal QB simply because he never did anything to lose a game. He was a winner, he didn't make mistakes, and even if he wasn't the most talented, he was a champion. I also was a Phillip Sims fan. I still am a Phillip Sims fan, he has a lot of talent, and he's in a bad situation now, but he could still turn out to be an NFL player. I didn't believe in AJ, not because I questioned his talent, but because I questioned his decision making. Clearly, I was wrong. He has reached the level that it's hard to imagine I'd want anyone else playing QB for Alabama during a championship game.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The only Alabama QB to win back-to-back national titles, he's at the top of my list. In 20 years it won't be just Stabler, Namath and Starr; it will be Stabler, Namath, Starr and McCarron.

In 20 years, it won't just be Bryant-Denny Stadium; it will be Bryant-Denny Stadium at Saban Field.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
In 20 years, it won't just be Bryant-Denny Stadium; it will be Bryant-Denny Stadium at Saban Field.
True dat!

I'm an old guy and Namath and Stabler will always be my favorites, Stabler in particular. You just had to see him play.

I think it's just individual preference. AJ is the best QB I've seen at Bama since the 60's.

Mt Rushmore ain't big enough for Bama. They're going to have to find a bigger mountain.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Well, I wasn't alive to see Namath and Stabler, but they are automatically on the mount. I'd say Bart Starr, AJ McCarron, and Greg McElroy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In 3 seasons at Alabama, AJ's stats...

49 TDs
8 INTs
460-690 (67% CMP%)
5956 yards
25-2 record as a starter

And he's a Third Team All-American.

He now holds the record for the most TDs in a career at Alabama (previous record was 47 by JP).
He is 2,000 yards away from breaking JP's career yardage record of 7,924.
He was 54 yards away from tying JP's season yardage record of 2,987.
He needs 205 completions to tie JP's career completion total of 665.

Those records are very likely to be broken in 2013.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Attention, if you leave Pat Trammel of your "Mount Rushmore of bama qbs" you shouldnt be making one.
Pat was one of Bear's favorite players, if not his favorite. He turned down the pros to go to med school and sadly died very young. He was at the helm of bama's first NC team under the Bear and was a sensation in day. Vince Lombardi personally asked bryant to steer Pat to the NFL and to the Packers specifically, that tell's you all you need to know. Fix your lists.

FWIW, I got Trammel, Namath, Stabler, AJ. in chronological order only. Star misses the cut due to a lackluster coligiate career (Ears Whitworth not withstanding) Star is an excellent ambassador and one of our greatest alumni however.

Someone mentioned last night that AJ broke Peyton Mannings college single season record for td-int ratio, with his 30-3.

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
It's hard to separate who belongs in the top tier, much less the top tier itself.

Gilmer, Namath, and Stabler are definitely there. Trammel is top tier, and AJ. If we looked closely at Rutledge, Hollingsworth, Lewis, Croyle, etc., we might pull out a sentimental favorite - GMac could get a few votes that way as well.

Good off-season topic. Oh, wait - it is the off-season. :)

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
IMO he deserves a place no matter what happens in 2013.

I feel the same way. I see people say..well it depends on next year..etc. I am sure next year if we win, then people will say.."if he wins three in a row, then he will be the best". Give credit now and not later.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
If anyone is wondering who Harry Gilmer is he played from 1944-1947 and was amazing. He was the all time leader in TDs up until very recently. He led the 1945 team to an undefeated record and a Rose Bowl win over USC.

Against Kentucky in 1945 that year he ran the ball 6 times for 216 yards and 2 TDs.
Made 9 out of 9 PAT attempts in one game.
Second all time in punt return yards at Bama. Ran a punt back 92 yards for a TD against LSU in 1947. Had an 80 yarder against UGA that year too.
He's the all time leader in kick return average.
Second all time at Bama for INTs.
Led the NCAA in TD passes as a sophomore and was second in total offense.

At one point in his career he led the team in rushing, passing, punt returns, punting, field goals, kick returns, interceptions and anything else you can think of. I know it was a different era, but that dude was something else.

Ended up 30-9-2 as a starter.

I think he would be the best representative for QB from the pre-Bryant era.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Can't say til I see AJ try a Harry Gilmer jump pass. Seriously, I have no way to compare but agree you have to put Trammel (as Poke said) and Harry Gilmer on the mountain.

That said, AJ is at the TOP of my list. Pretty sure Namath and Stabler became better than AJ is today at some point in their NFL careers, but I don't think they were this talented in college. Hopefully AJ becomes as good or better than they were in the NFL as well. As for the older era QBs, I think the techniques and S&C and hours of study/prep that QBs do today far exceeds the level of football play they were able to achieve back then. So maybe a Gilmer had the same raw talent and maybe not, but there's no way he played QB as well as AJ.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.