Question: AJ's place on Alabama's Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So in your opinion where does AJ rank on the all-time list of Alabama's great quarterbacks? He is the beneficiary of elite talent around him to be sure, but he is not too shabby himself. Let's face it, barring injury he will leave Alabama as the greatest statistical quarterback to ever walk by Denny Chimes, not to mention he will have AT LEAST three BCS national championship rings. Alabama has had a lot of great quarterbacks, but I believe AJ has to be considered the greatest.

Let the discussion commence.

P. S. : I don't know how to make a poll or I would, if I figure it out I will make one.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I like to imagine the future...

I can see AJ being interviewed 40 years from now, when he's old like Namath is now, and going on about Saban.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
He just completed, almost inarguably, the greatest season by any Bama QB ever, and that was coming off a NC game MVP. I think you have to say that strictly as a COLLEGE QB, he's the greatest ever at Bama.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
I told a friend before this game that if we win you have to start putting AJ up there. He has two national titles and played big in both title games. As long as he stays healthy next season he'll start putting Alabama passing records out of reach. Starr, Stabler and Namath will always be Bama legends at QB but I believe AJ has earned a place up there IMO. He's not done which is the scary part.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he wins again next year he will belong on the Mt Rushmore for all of college football.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
AJ is very close to a perfect fit for the type of quarterback that Nick Saban wants in his offense. Control the offense, put them in the right play, limit turnovers, keep offense calm, limit negative plays, throw away the ball when under pressure, stretch out the defense with the deep ball, great play action ability...etc.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He's got 3 BCS titles and 2 losses as a starter.
Indeed, but he wasn't a starter in 2009. Not to get into an argument here, but if you count 2009, you have to count 2010. Either that or maybe write what you mean more clearly - your original post read (to me) as if he had more rings as a starter than losses as a starter.

Either way, doesn't diminish the fact that he's probably the best we've ever had, by just about any measure! RTR!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
AJ is very close to a perfect fit for the type of quarterback that Nick Saban wants in his offense. Control the offense, put them in the right play, limit turnovers, keep offense calm, limit negative plays, throw away the ball when under pressure, stretch out the defense with the deep ball, great play action ability...etc.
he can also make some amazingly accurate throws

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I told a friend before this game that if we win you have to start putting AJ up there. He has two national titles and played big in both title games. As long as he stays healthy next season he'll start putting Alabama passing records out of reach. Starr, Stabler and Namath will always be Bama legends at QB but I believe AJ has earned a place up there IMO. He's not done which is the scary part.
I hear you, but I really don't put Starr on "Alabama's Mt Rushmore of quarterbacks". Simply because the overwhelming body of Starr's legend was built in the pro football world with the Packers. He certainly is a noteable alumni though.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
One of the best ever at Bama no doubt. There have been many other talented qbs at Bama that didn't have the talent that AJ is surrounded with but that's just the way it is... The fact is, there's no way we win either of the last two without him.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Here's the Mount Rushmore: AJ, Barker, Stabler, Namath and Gilmer. I know it's 5 but I can't figure out who to take out. GMac would be the alternate I think.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.