ATTN MEDIA, re: Christion Jones "fumble" on the punt return

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Thats why I thought it was called. I think CJ had a right to the ball until it hit the ground.
I think you are correct. Here is a quote from Mack Brown before the season that agrees with your understanding of the new rule...

Brown also took issue with the new, re-instituted halo rule that requires players to provide a one-yard buffer zone in front of players returning punts.

"Now, if [a defender is] covering me and I'm returning the punt and I bobble it and go toward him and he's within a yard of me and doesn't touch me ... it's a 15yard penalty," Brown said. "I really hope that we'll relook at some of those things and try to make a difference."

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
We could have given them the ball on our five yard line and I don't think it would have mattered. Their defense was completely over matched by our entire offense. All we would have had to do was stop their offense one time and the game would have been over at that point. Their defense was simply no match for our offense.
...and lets add that their offense was no match for our defense, or their special teams was no match for our special teams, their coaching was no match for our coaching, etc, etc, and on and on...

it was as much of a mismatch as you can ever see in a BCS championship game.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
ah, gotcha. i believe the first thing brent said on the play was "hey, we don't have the halo rule any longer" but guess it got reinstated this year...wow, don't remember halo rule for like 10 years.

looking at rule now...1 yard in front and/or shoulder-width on side of receiving player.

i stand corrected...100% correct call (still wouldn't want that called against us)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As a fan, if that call goes against your team, you are angry. I get it. But in a game in which one team was completely owned by the other you just let it go.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
ah, gotcha. i believe the first thing brent said on the play was "hey, we don't have the halo rule any longer" but guess it got reinstated this year...wow, don't remember halo rule for like 10 years.

looking at rule now...1 yard in front and/or shoulder-width on side of receiving player.

i stand corrected...100% correct call (still wouldn't want that called against us)
yeah I remember the rule getting reinstated this year. I was watching the game with a room full of Bama fans who kept saying, "Wow that's a bad call". I kept telling them the Halo rule was back and this was the right call.

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
If they're going to cry about that flag, then they need to cry about that roughing the passer they called on us which gave ND their first TD. He barely touched Golson.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
As a fan, if that call goes against your team, you are angry. I get it. But in a game in which one team was completely owned by the other you just let it go.
A more legitimate beef for Notre Dame would be that their player was blocked into the receiver. It may be like "running into the kicker" though where it is a strict liabilty penalty and it doesn't matter if it was unintentional or not your fault.

Like some others have pointed out, it would be interesting to know which player the penalty was called on. It may have been on the guy that was too quick to pounce on the receiver once he bobbled the ball.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I'll go ahead and break this down since no one else is willing to call it like it is:

* Bad call on the punt return fumble recovery. Moral victory result: touchdown Notre Dame! Adjusted score: 42-21.
* Cheating Bama paid the refs. Eifert caught that ball inbounds! Moral victory result: touchdown Notre Dame plus 3 bonus "morale points"! Adjusted score: 42-31.
* Oversigning evil! Take away a field goal from Bama. Adjusted score: 39-31.
* Notre Dame has such strict academic standards for its athletes unlike the SEC. Award 2.8 Rhodes Scholar points to Notre Dame! Adjusted score: 39-33.8.
* Cousins who reside in mobile homes. Remove 2 points from Bama's tally. Adjusted score: 37-33.8.
* Colt's shoulder. 0.1 points. FINAL SCORE AS IT SHOULD BE IN A JUST WORLD: 37-33.9.

If you add it all up, it was almost a moral victory for the Irish!

[Note: the previous text was written in sarcasm font.]

Tguy64

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 19, 2005
What I recall most clearly was that Musburger invited their expert official to interpret the call. He stated that the rule did not require the defender to touch the returner for interference to be called. Musburger essentially dismissed the expert by saying that was his "opinion". Well, gee Mushy, that's why ESPN hired him. When is ESPN going to get rid of this idiot?
I think ABC and ESPN are owned by Disney. Is it possible that he can be used by either network? Did you hear his apology today about the his comments made about A J's girlfriend. At my age I can't remember them, but I think maybe ABC/ESPN wrote it???? If this is in another thread, forgive please.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
The helmets touched, it wasn't a headbutt. The qb didnt even react to it. They need to stop calling incidental contact to the helmet when the qb can't even feel it.
I believe the reason they called it..and IMO, it look like he launched...although I do agree it was just a love tap...

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
What I recall most clearly was that Musburger invited their expert official to interpret the call. He stated that the rule did not require the defender to touch the returner for interference to be called. Musburger essentially dismissed the expert by saying that was his "opinion". Well, gee Mushy, that's why ESPN hired him. When is ESPN going to get rid of this idiot?
I don't think he is "their" expert..got this off his bio on a website...

Redding is now the CFO National Coordinator and Secretary-Rules Editor to the NCAA Football Rules Committee. He and his wife Shirley live in Birmingham, Alabama.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
After Watching the replay twice, the flag wasn't thrown when the ND player Belue blocked ran by Jones. It was thrown when the second ND player ran into Jones when he was trying to secure the ball.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
After Watching the replay twice, the flag wasn't thrown when the ND player Belue blocked ran by Jones. It was thrown when the second ND player ran into Jones when he was trying to secure the ball.
Right. Like I said earlier in the thread, since CJ called for a fair catch he has a right to the ball until it hits the ground. The second Notre dame player impeded his chance to make the catch.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
I finally saw the replay and I didn't notice it Monday night but you are right on. It wasn't so much the first ND that was within 1 yard but the other ND player (#8) caught the ball before the ball hit the ground. A fair catch is not over until the ball touches the ground even if it is bobbled. You will see the flag come in after the 2nd ND player touches it.

Last edited:

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I was thinking it was interference as soon as I saw it even before the flag was thrown. According to rule 6 I believe the first ND player caused the foul. I was really offended by the announcers getting belligerent about it, it showed their colors. It did look like the other Bama man in the play inadvertently pushed the ND man nearly into the receiver, but it wasn't deliberate and the call would stand anyway unless it was a purposeful push which should be a penalty itself. I thought it was the right call and not the first I've seen like it this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.