Could not believe the words that were coming out of his mouth (Coach Kelly)

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
I hate to see anyone look that defeated, at least show that you want to be there and that you believe in your team. I guess honesty is the best policy and Coach Kelly wasn't going to deny that Alabama had this game won after 2 quarters.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
His comments were my favorite of the first half...followed by the Mustberger comment about '' Why would Saban leave Alabama for the NFL...he only gets one first round draft pick their, when at Alabama he gets 3-4 a year...and he makes as much money....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess I just see it different than most - I thought it was funny but not a disaster. I wish our elected officials would use that much candor about some things ("I don't really know how I voted for that, but the money they gave me bought a nice new house").

Plus - if you look at the ENTIRE INTERVIEW he makes the point that they will have to come back and get back into it to "have a chance to win." The one thing I had a bigger problem with - and to be fair, I don't think Kelly did this with malice aforethought - was when you say something like "not tackling," it sounds like you're blaming the players. It was honest, but that one comment could bite him.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I would think the ND coaching staff would have watched enough film to know what they were dealing with.

100%Crimson

All-SEC
Feb 4, 2004
I admit I was surprised by the comment. He was looking pretty shell shocked by then. I think he never thought Alabama was really that good.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
The part that was the most intriguing to me was when he said " we are not tackling, and I know why". The " i know why " part is what was interesting. Almost like the team did not practice live tackling during the lay off and he may have had an disagreement with another coach about whether or not they should go full speed and practice tackling more. Who knows, but it caught my attention.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Didn't he also say, "The team with the most mistakes will win"? So not surprising, but nothing I would want my coach to say.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Didn't he also say, "The team with the most mistakes will win"? So not surprising, but nothing I would want my coach to say.
These are experienced coaches who know their team really well. I really believe at some point during the layoff he was slipping of his slippers about to get in bed and probably confesses to his wife, honey there is a really good chance that we could get run out of the gym against bama...

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I admit I was surprised by the comment. He was looking pretty shell shocked by then. I think he never thought Alabama was really that good.
I think when you watch film, no matter how good a coach you are, it's hard to judge the ability level of the opponent of the team you're scouting.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
There is seeing it on film, and then there is having it run over you. Even Jesse was predicting a semi-competitive game.
Yeah, I thought about that too. Kelly must have known that Coach Saban would have his team ready to deliver a knockout punch. The only other thing he could have said was "I knew this was coming." :)

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
The part that was the most intriguing to me was when he said " we are not tackling, and I know why". The " i know why " part is what was interesting.
He said "Who knows why?", not "I know why." ... checking the video

Transcript:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rian-kellys-reaction-to-huge-deficit/1816429/

"Uh, maybe Alabama doesn't come back in the second half," Kelly said. "It's all Alabama. We can't tackle them right now and… who knows why. You know, they're big and physical. I guess I do know why. It's just that our guys have not tackled the way they have all year."

Last edited:

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
IMO, he just was being truthful. Seems like a classy guy. Should he have saved those comments for post game? Most likely. Bottom line, he knew ND is a few recruiting classes away from being serious player at level Bama has attained. I appreciate his honesty but honestly, they were beat at that point. IMO, he just wanted them to be respectfully competitive for the rest of the game. RTR

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The part that was the most intriguing to me was when he said " we are not tackling, and I know why". The " i know why " part is what was interesting. Almost like the team did not practice live tackling during the lay off and he may have had an disagreement with another coach about whether or not they should go full speed and practice tackling more. Who knows, but it caught my attention.
Interesting. I thought I heard "And I don't know why." I'll listen carefully. However, I'd offer up to him that they weren't used to our speed and, as a consequence, they were taking bad angles...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.