Notre Dame's Brian Kelly interviews with Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Whether he wants more money or he's seriously considering the NFL, he should not have interviewed the day after being blown out. If anything, that would cause me to tell him to forget the pay raise if I was the ND AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Whether he wants more money or he's seriously considering the NFL, he should not have interviewed the day after being blown out. If anything, that would cause me to tell him to forget the pay raise if I was the ND AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
One of my primary worries is having a bunch of EE's in their moving vans asking themselves, "What am I doing." I completely agree with you, it is bad timing. My guess is Swarbrick (our AD) lowballed him, Kelly said yes to interview, etc.

Rumor is that all our 2013 recruits have formed a facebook group and are currently speaking about the possibility of Kelly leaving. Most have tweeted they are ND no matter what. Still, just bad timing all in all.

I am now getting a taste of what you guys go through with CNS (or what you used to go through).

Harold Howard

Suspended
Jan 9, 2013
I'm still waiting to see the actual salary. I appreciate what's being done as far as responses to the money but....
Let's see it. Otherwise it's all speculation.

Also, what makes the ND HC job so elite? Certainly not recent history other than this year. Is it facilities? Apparently not the pay scale. I think it's perception for the most part.
I suppose - if nothing else - it would be the brand. Notre Dame being competitive again is enough to fill more column inches than just about any other school. I guess you can argue about why, but in my opinion it must have something to do with the interest the program generates. So I suppose that's why I'd say it is a marquee college job. It's part of American culture (maybe not down here so much!) that won't fade, whereas other historical giants (Penn State and Nebraska) might.

That doesn't mean I think Notre Dame is going to field a year in, year out elite team (too many in-built obstacles) though

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of my primary worries is having a bunch of EE's in their moving vans asking themselves, "What am I doing." I completely agree with you, it is bad timing. My guess is Swarbrick (our AD) lowballed him, Kelly said yes to interview, etc.

Rumor is that all our 2013 recruits have formed a facebook group and are currently speaking about the possibility of Kelly leaving. Most have tweeted they are ND no matter what. Still, just bad timing all in all.

I am now getting a taste of what you guys go through with CNS (or what you used to go through).
It's an every year thing with us. For one thing, the writers have to have something to write about and Saban is always fertile material, no matter how flimsy the underlying facts may be. The other thing is our rivals, particularly those across the state, will try to say anything which they think may hurt our recruiting. I just checked a couple of their boards this PM and they're still trumpeting it. It's irritating, but we're used to it. On Kelly, this was just bad form, IMO. It may not cause an exodus, but, if even one or two leading recruits defect, it's damaged the school's recruiting. I'm very disappointed in him...

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Thinking back, he may have called the Eagles at halftime....leading to his remarks before the start of the 2nd half :biggrin:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think he's going to the pros yet. This is just a contract sweetener setup by his agent.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I suspect this is just a play by his agent to get ND's athletic department to reaffirm their commitment to him in the form of money and years. He can just deny it and make it all good with the fans afterwards.
Yeah - sounds like he may just be looking for a raise, which he probably deserves. It would surprise me if he took the job, but I think it's too late to deny he interviewed - it's all over the sports pages this morning.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Maybe it's just me -- but simply interviewing for another job would make me want to part ways. It means your heart isn't in it -- that you are shaking my hand, but looking for someone better to talk to..... not cool --

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah - sounds like he may just be looking for a raise, which he probably deserves.
I dunno, they had a good year, certainly, but he's not paid millions of dollars to lose games. I'm generally of the mindset that says you don't get a raise until you meet or exceed some goals, and stringing together a bunch of wins with zero championships to show for it wouldn't qualify...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Some unfortunate coach will get stuck with Michael Vick. It's all about the bling in the NFL for the most part. Look at the Jets for an example of total insanity.
his name is Andy Reid when the Eagles trade him to the Chiefs. That is what the Cheifs do get a one year wonder or guy in the tail end of his career at QB. and the owner cannot understand why they stay near the bottom.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Kelly interviewing with the Eagles would cause heartburn for me if I were a Notre Dame fan. I thought Fran was "interviewing" when he got on that plane to aTm. You don't interview just to interview especially if there is a chance you will get the job.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The CBS report about him leaving the country for a vacation shows the difference in the two teams Monday night. Not trying Gump, but our guys are already tweeting "Road to 16" and stuff. Saban told Herbstreit on the Gameday set after the game that he was going to recruit because "we are behind in recruiting." That statement was made by the man with a Top 5 recruiting class. Kelly, OTOH, is out of the country on vacation and will decide about the NFL when he gets back? The two teams are separated by more than a 28 point margin...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Not really that surprising, run pro style system and never tried his hand at the pros, may not take the job but I'd be surprised if they didnt offer
Kelly traditionally does not run the pro style system. If you go back and look at his offenses at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan, and Cincinnati he runs a spread. Due to his (lack of) athletes at ND or personnel, he was forced to run the pro set.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
his name is Andy Reid when the Eagles trade him to the Chiefs. That is what the Cheifs do get a one year wonder or guy in the tail end of his career at QB. and the owner cannot understand why they stay near the bottom.
Vick and Reid to the Chiefs? And the sad part is that the fans are probably excited at the crumbs. They were either ignorant to Brodie Croyles fragile frame or purposely selected a QB of the future that stood a 25% chance of playing 2 season's without having a serious injury. I was on to them after that since I knew so much about Brodie.

Coach Saban would not take these types of jobs. If he ever goes back to the pros, it will be at one of the programs that have a strong will to win, like a Pittsburgh.

Trent basically said that for the same money he would choose Bama over Cleveland anyday!

Kelly is a good coach that played Bama with much slower players......a player like Fox would battle for 2nd string at Bama. While the timing was horrendous, ND needs to wake up and pay him like a top 5 coach. I could tell from their third game that ND was a totally different team that played with confidence and toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.