Notre Dame's Brian Kelly interviews with Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He has been "upwardly mobile" for about 10 years now. Doesn't surprise me to see that he wants to keep riding this wave. Notre Dame is only paying him an estimated $2.4MM/yr - he would double that in the NFL. IMO, he would be a fool to turn down a 4-5 year contract with an NFL team.

ETA - unless ND gives him a huge raise and a 10 year contract.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Players like the "i have nfl coaching experience i can get you to the nfl" type of coach. A coach with no nfl exp. Can tell recruits hey the nfl wants me,, and in some quirky way it plays with a 17 yr old recruit. It gives the coach some nfl cred.

Harold Howard

Suspended
Jan 9, 2013
He has been "upwardly mobile" for about 10 years now. Doesn't surprise me to see that he wants to keep riding this wave. Notre Dame is only paying him an estimated $2.4MM/yr - he would double that in the NFL. IMO, he would be a fool to turn down a 4-5 year contract with an NFL team.

His salary is low - relative to the upper echelon coaches, and at the moment there's very few better college coaches. I'd be surprised if he's not using this interview as an opportunity to improve his contract.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012

Eagles job is a lateral move.

We will offer him 4 million and he stay.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Eagles job is a lateral move.

We will offer him 4 million and he stay.
If you offer him $4MM/yr for 10 years, he might stay. As for an NFL HC job (ANY NFL HC job) being a lateral move - that very much depends on Kelly's life goals. Most football coaches would scoff at the idea, but a few would agree.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
His salary is low - relative to the upper echelon coaches, and at the moment there's very few better college coaches. I'd be surprised if he's not using this interview as an opportunity to improve his contract.
Does anyone know how much he's being paid? I'd be kinda surprised if ND only paid him $2.4m annually.

Harold Howard

Suspended
Jan 9, 2013
How so? Maybe to your fan base, but not to the rest of the world. A lateral move would be if he took the USCw job. An NFL HC job is an upgrade over ND.
You probably wouldn't say the Browns would be an upgrade for Saban would you?? It's apples and oranges. I don't think you can say that the NFL is automatically an upgrade over the four or five marquee college jobs, which Notre Dame certainly is.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
ND is going to have to do what we finally did when we hired Saban--pull out the checkbook and pay what it takes to get AND keep a top tier coach instead of expecting them to come here for a low ball salary just because of our tradition.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Where is his salary posted? Private schools normally do not make such information available. What does he make and where can we see it as well?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does anyone know how much he's being paid? I'd be kinda surprised if ND only paid him $2.4m annually.
It is not public, but that is the number that you will find if you google - and the internet is never wrong. :wink:

BTW, $2.4MM represents more than double what he was making at Cincinnatti ($1.1MM)

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Didn't he just say "the nfl is not an option" a few days ago?

Yep..along with another zinger...

Kelly denied having any interest in an NFL coaching job this past Saturday, claiming that leaving Notre Dame "is not an option. I don't even think about it."

"I think from my perspective I've got the best job in the country, NFL, college, high school, whatever," Kelly said Saturday. "I just look at the place that I'm at and thankful for the opportunity that I have."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You probably wouldn't say the Browns would be an upgrade for Saban would you?? It's apples and oranges. I don't think you can say that the NFL is automatically an upgrade over the four or five marquee college jobs, which Notre Dame certainly is.
I said over ND not over Bama...and like someone else mentioned it really depends on what that persons goal is. I don't consider ND a top 5 job mainly because of the academic restrictions on recruiting. Most of the players that want to go to ND cant get in the school academically. Its an all time top 5 job, but not present day top 5 IMO

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
It is not public, but that is the number that you will find if you google - and the internet is never wrong. :wink:

BTW, $2.4MM represents more than double what he was making at Cincinnatti ($1.1MM)
This is right. It's actually more around 2.6mm, but as far as the pay scale in its relativity, it is low.

I think it is a lateral move because of the life-span of a 21st century NFL coach. You never know. Eagles are looking for another 5-8 year guy. I don't think BK would do well in the NFL but that is just me.

Then again, the average life-span of a Notre Dame HC isn't much more, but I, as well as others, believe BK is special.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I heard the names of the coaches being looked at for the vacancies, pretty sad. The best coaches are in college right now. You don't believe Philly would take Kelly or Saban over our former Arians or recycled Lovie Smith and others? It's a sad state. Some of these owners keep their teams down in the dumps and like Coach Saban said, a good coach is powerless to really change things.

Some unfortunate coach will get stuck with Michael Vick. It's all about the bling in the NFL for the most part. Look at the Jets for an example of total insanity.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I'm still waiting to see the actual salary. I appreciate what's being done as far as responses to the money but....
Let's see it. Otherwise it's all speculation.

Also, what makes the ND HC job so elite? Certainly not recent history other than this year. Is it facilities? Apparently not the pay scale. I think it's perception for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.