snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Most AP National Titles in Poll Era
Most Wire Service National Titles in Poll Era
Most BCS National Championships
Only team to win back to back BCS National Championships
Only Team to win back to back AP National Titles 3 different times in the Poll Era
Only third team to ever win 3 out of 4 National Championships
Most SEC Championships
Won first ever SEC Championship Game
Only team to win at least one SEC Championship in every decade
Most Bowl apperances
Most Bowl Wins
Most 10 win seasons
First Southern Team to win the Rose Bowl

Anything I am missing?

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Also....
Arguably the two greatest coaches in college football history...Bryant and Saban.
Five different National Championship coaches.
Most Rose Bowl appearances and wins by a non Pac-12/Big Ten team.
Only the second team to win 3 out of 4 AP National Championships. (Notre Dame 46, 47, 49).
Most college football wins in last 100 years-757--(1913-2012) ( Actually 778 wins but 21 vacated by NCAA for textbook
violations)

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Only Team to win back to back AP National Titles 3 different times in the Poll Era
Most SEC Championships
Most Bowl apperances
Most Bowl Wins
Most 10 win seasons

Anything I am missing?
I think we were the first team to win 13 games and maybe the first to win 14, 92 and 09. I'd have to look those up but I'm more sure of the 13 than the 14.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Missing 2 things that I believe to be true but cannot be proven:

-Strongly contributed to the Rose Bowl limiting itself to Pac10/BIGX only. Our wins there were an embarrassment to the college football world.

-Strongly contributed to finally getting a playoff in D-1/FBS. I don't think this would've passed yet without the 6 year run(7 now) and Bama got almost half of those (3/7).

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Most SEC Championships
Most Bowl apperances
Most Bowl Wins
Most 10 win seasons

Anything I am missing?
Great list. Here are a few more.

• Most wins in AP Poll 1 vs 2 matchups. There have only been 48 such matchups with Bama appearing in 9, 19%. Only ND has appeared in more, 10. These games were not frequent before the BCS era with only 32 in the first 63 years. There was once a gap from 1946 till 1963 without a 1 vs 2 matchp. Here are the programs with mutiple appearances in such games (only Army and Navy are a surprise with 6 of their 7 appearances occurring during WW2).

• Bama 6-3
  • ND 5-3-2
  • OSU 4-2
  • Texas 4-2
  • Army 3-0-1
  • Neb 3-2
  • Miami 3-3
  • USC 3-3
  • UF 3-3
  • FSU 3-3
  • LSU 2-1 (only loss to Bama)
  • PSU 2-1 (only loss to Bama)
  • OU 1-7
  • Navy 0-3
  • Mich 0-4

• 2nd to USC with the most major bowl wins with 21 (USC got to play essentially at home (Rose Bowl) for 23 of their 25 major bowl wins). OU is third with 18.
  • Most major bowl appearances 36 with 21-14-1 record. USC second with 34 and 25-9 record. (Most programs are way behind in appearances with all but OU around a .500 record. Of course the PAC? and Big10 did not participate in any but the Rose until the 70s.)
  • Bama has the most undefeated/untied regular seasons with 17, OU is 2nd with 12. UT is 2nd in the SEC with 7. Bama has almost as many as the rest of the SEC combined.
  • Bama tied with ND has the most undefeated/untied seasons since 1900 with 9. (Bama 9-7-1 in post season when undefeated in reg season). Bama would have 13 if like ND they did not play in bowl games from 1926-1969 or have conference championship games.
  • Bama won the first 2 SEC championships, the first SECC game and the last SECC of the last century with a total of 23 which is almost as many as the next 2 combined: UT with 13 and UGA with 12.
  • Bama was the first SEC (current makeup) team to appear in the Rose Bowl - a seminal 20-19 win over Washington who, even with a loss was considered by some to be the greatest college team of all time. Bama would appear a total of 6 times over the 21 years from its first appearance after the 1925 season till it was no longer eligible after the 1945 season. Bama would go 4-1-1 the rest of the SEC would go 2-3 (with gutless UT choking as usual on the national stage :smile:. They finally got in after the '39 season with Neyland's much ballyhooed undefeated/unscored on team and got shut out by USC 14-0, then USC shut them out again after the 1944 season 25-0. Bama came in and cleaned up their mess by stomping USC after the 1945 season (the last season in which non-PAC/Big10 teams were eligible) 34-14 in a game not nearly as close as the score indicates.) In fact, Bama won as many Rose Bowls during that time as the rest of the visiting nation combined - they were 4-11. No wonder Bama was the South's team. UT rivaled Bama on a regional level, but were not in the same ball park on the big stage. Nothing changed after '45 except Bama became superior on the regional level as well: 19 SEC titles to 10.

toledotider

Mar 13, 2011
Only team to win any BSC game by shutout.

Scored 69 unanswered points in BCS Championship game (13 against Texas, 21 vs. LSU and 35 vs. ND)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think we were the first team to win 13 games and maybe the first to win 14, 92 and 09. I'd have to look those up but I'm more sure of the 13 than the 14.
Nebraska went 13-0 in 1971, with a win in Hawaii. BYU went 13-0 in 1984 and 14-1 in 1996, playing in a Kickoff Classic, Hawaii, and in WAC title game. Yale went 16-0 in 1894.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.