Question: Aside from the Title games, what's your favorite game of the CNS era?

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
Clemson and Georgia and Tennessee and LSU and Auburn in 2008.
Virginia Tech and LSU and Florida in 2009.
Michigan St in 2010.
Arkansas and Florida in 2011.
Michigan and LSU and Auburn and Georgia in 2012.

There are just so many...Clemson really sticks out. We were so dominant and it had been so long since we looked that good as a team. Watching Julio and Ingram break out as freshman...Awesome. Sure has been a fun run.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
My choice is 2007 Arkansas. Not our best team and not the best season, but it showed me that Saban would make the tough calls when games were tight. Most in the stadium felt that kicking a FG that late was a bad move, but coach had confidence in the D and believed in the players to make plays. It was the first time I felt like we were coached like an NFL team. I know the 08 Clemson game was the real coming out party, but that game was a turning point in my feeling about where our program was headed.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Not counting any title (BCS or SEC) games, it's easily the 2008 Blackout game. Just being in the stadium and seeing how the team dominated from the word go was awesome.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
2009 Sec Championship game or this year's LSU game. Beating Tebow and Meyer was pretty great, but so was the ending of the LSU game.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
The 2008 LSU game, it was a crazy one, Rashad Johnson picked off Jarrett Lee 3 times. Also, the 2009 Tennessee and Auburn games, we killed two upset bids :) I also gotta say the SECCG 2009 win when it officially confirmed that Alabama football is back where it belongs. The Cap. 1 Bowl beatdown was one of my faves too, it was like a foreshadowing to the next season and the team kept rolling after that win.

Now as for Saban's first season, it's the Arkansas and Tennessee game!

Last edited:

DothanTide

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 6, 2011
'09 SECCG is tops just because it was hard to watch us lose to Gators the year before.

The 2011 Iron Bowl is a close second because I was there with a friend who'd never had the chance to go to an Alabama game before and we got to watch The Barn get obliterated on their own field.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Putting aside for a moment Bama 42 ND 14 and Bama 32 UF 13 - both blow-outs - and the 2012 SECCG Bama 32 UGA 28 (UGA didn't just run out of time - CJ Mosley made a play and the game ended) as well as Bama 21 LSU 0 and Bama 37 UT 21, I'd have to say LSU 2008. That game truly signified to me that Bama truly was back and could beat anybody the team went up against. Lots of great wins to choose from over the last 6 years, though.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Not a fair thread. To pick a favorite game, is like picking a favorite child. If I had to put a list together it would be (in no order):

08 GA Game
08 LSU game
2011 BCS Game against LSU
2012 BCS Game against ND
2009 BCS Game against Tex
2008 Iron Bowl (the streak ended)
09 LSU game (I believe that was the game the LSU players were dropping like flies)
2012 SEC Champ game
2007 Arkansas game (despite the fact it has been vacated)

I can't pick one over the other, so this is a nine way tie for best win in Saban's era to me.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
This year's SECCG game was one of the greatest games I've seen, though it wasn't exactly great for the blood pressure. I actually felt the same way about the 08 SECCG, which is one of the only times I've felt that way about a loss. It was a great game against a great team, and it made revenge in the 09 SECCG that much sweeter. I also think it really pushed our team to keep working and rise to the lofty levels we see them at today, which might not have ever happened if winning had come easier that year. 08 Clemson game was great, I watched it with a friend who was a Clemson grad and really had to work hard to hold my tongue. I'll never forget the look in our players' eyes when the walked out of the tunnel, all business which was exactly the way they played. Clemson was really hyped before that season (anybody remember "thunder and lighting"?), but that game pretty much stopped the momentum of their season before it ever got started. The blackout game was great in the first half, but I thought the second half was a bit of a letdown. And while 2010 wasn't a great season, the Capitol One Bowl against Mich. State was one of the most enjoyable games I can remember. I think it was just a big relief to see those players, many of whom were favorites from the 2009 team, finally play to their potential one last time. Particularly memorable was McElroy running up field after completing a pass (I think to Julio) and throwing a MONSTER block on some poor DB to allow the receiver to score. As others have said, there've been a lot of good memories from the Tide in the last 5 years :)

TIDEFAN17

All-American
Mar 20, 2001
Tennessee
I personally feel the 2008 "Blackout" game was when Alabama proved they had arrived. Up 31-0 at halftime in Athens, that was when I knew..... Alabama has been favored in every regular season game since....

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
This year's SECCG game was one of the greatest games I've seen, though it wasn't exactly great for the blood pressure. I actually felt the same way about the 08 SECCG, which is one of the only times I've felt that way about a loss. It was a great game against a great team, and it made revenge in the 09 SECCG that much sweeter. I also think it really pushed our team to keep working and rise to the lofty levels we see them at today, which might not have ever happened if winning had come easier that year. 08 Clemson game was great, I watched it with a friend who was a Clemson grad and really had to work hard to hold my tongue. I'll never forget the look in our players' eyes when the walked out of the tunnel, all business which was exactly the way they played. Clemson was really hyped before that season (anybody remember "thunder and lighting"?), but that game pretty much stopped the momentum of their season before it ever got started. The blackout game was great in the first half, but I thought the second half was a bit of a letdown. And while 2010 wasn't a great season, the Capitol One Bowl against Mich. State was one of the most enjoyable games I can remember. I think it was just a big relief to see those players, many of whom were favorites from the 2009 team, finally play to their potential one last time. Particularly memorable was McElroy running up field after completing a pass (I think to Julio) and throwing a MONSTER block on some poor DB to allow the receiver to score. As others have said, there've been a lot of good memories from the Tide in the last 5 years :)
That Julio play was great. I think it was an end around not a pass. I remember saban jokingly ripping on McElroy and saying it was Julio who set up the block with his running.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Tough to pick, but I really enjoyed the total dismantling of Michigan St in the Capital One Bowl following the 2010 season. Just total domination on both sides of the ball, fun to watch.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Tough to pick, but I really enjoyed the total dismantling of Michigan St in the Capital One Bowl following the 2010 season. Just total domination on both sides of the ball, fun to watch.
I was going to post about that game. That may have been our most dominant overall performance ever in the Saban era.
49-7 and they were one of the leading defenses in the nation with a great QB in Kirk Cousins. We sacked him almost every time he attempted to pass and we completely ran over them.

However, if I had no dog in the hunt and was simply a football fan watching a game I'd say the "best games" were Auburn in 09,
Arkansas in 07, and Tennessee in 09.

Those will be on ESPN Classic in 20 years.

sip

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The 2011 Iron Bowl. The classic beatdown in their own sandbox, the fans singing Rammer Jsmmer and the Barners "guarding" their trees. Revenge from the 2010 game. The scoreboard from that game is my avatar.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.