Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
We all know how quickly stories can change.(ie. lance armstrong). I am not one to believe long tall stories just because someone says them with a straight face. However, the internet has just recent started to show people how many truly sick and disturbed humans are in the world. This will only continue to get worse. With that said it is very possible for this young man to meet someone on the internet and fall in love with that person without ever meeting them. Was he extremely naive? Yes. Did he make up lies about the relationship? Yes The question is why. Was it because he was truly embarrassed or was he trying to gain sympathy and votes? We may never know the truth. I am in no way believing 100% of the story, but as a man, i am hoping against all odds he was tremendously naive of the hoax and only added to the story to cover the embarrassment.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
I know some of us are old enough to remember Captain Tuttle on M*A*S*H. Hawkeye could've given Te'o some tips on spinning a good hoax and not getting caught.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I reckon he needs to practice kissing on something..
I wish he hadn't practiced on something OWNED by Bama and that will be placed in the Bryant Museum.

Did he think he was kissing his girlfriend that did not even exist?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We all knew those guys in high school that would say "I've got a date with Palmella Anderson tonight" or something like that because they didn't actually have a date. Manti's teammates must have dogged him for not having a lady, which caused him to create one.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I wish he hadn't practiced on something OWNED by Bama and that will be placed in the Bryant Museum.

Did he think he was kissing his girlfriend that did not even exist?
I hope Coach Saban used some Handi-wipes on that thing!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm sorry but this is worse than paying a kid to come to your school, or having boosters throw parties for recruits. A person was made up, killed off, squeezed for publicity, and lied about. That is sick... there are only two realistic conclusions I think that you can come to...

1.) This was all to try and raise Manti's profile. I think this is what a lot of people will conclude, but I think it's otherwise.

2. (My theory) I'll preface this by saying the only condemnation I am laying on Teo is the hoax I think he created. That being said, I think the guy portraying his "gf" was either his boyfriend or associated with a boyfriend, and Teo was afraid to come out. So instead, he made up a gf for public persona. His family knew of his lifestyle, so he quickly let them know he was faking the relationship. When he felt significant time had passed, and knowing as a future star people would start looking for his "significant other" the plan was formed to "kill her off". That would keep his invented image intact, and give him space to stay away from the media when it comes to dating. The story then took off, more then expected, and the hole hot bigger every time he opened his mouth...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
CLICKY CLACK DOWN THE TRACKS

CHOO CHOO

HERE COMES LOTS AND LOTS OF NOTRE DAME COVER UPS.

You've got negligent manslaughter going unpunished even internally much less criminally.

You've got raping linebackers starting because the University stonewalled the victim who later committed suicide.

And if you order today, you get Manti "Catfish" Te'o exploiting tear-jerking stories for his own fame!

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I know its real easy to make jokes about this issue. But remember, at one time Bama was the butt of a lot of jokes many northern schools liked to tell and it is backfiring on them big time. (oSU, psu, etc)

lots of you will feel pretty bad if we find out he had nothing to do with the hoax and he was very naive and fell hard for this whole scheme. Sure he could be behind the hoax all together, but honestly i dont feel like eating crow down the road, not to mention how crappy i would feel for making fun of a 21 year old for falling in love and believing that person had died if he was duped. If its proven or he admits to making this whole thing up, I was naive to give him the benefit of the doubt. If not, and the hoax was unknown to him, I feel horrible for the young man to have that happen to him. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
CLICKY CLACK DOWN THE TRACKS

CHOO CHOO

HERE COMES LOTS AND LOTS OF NOTRE DAME COVER UPS.

You've got negligent manslaughter going unpunished even internally much less criminally.

You've got raping linebackers starting because the University stonewalled the victim who later committed suicide.

And if you order today, you get Manti "Catfish" Te'o exploiting tear-jerking stories for his own fame!
It's waaaay past time the whole domer facade came tumbling down. George O'Leary was nothing compared to any of this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.