Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Fiutak writes another good one: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1258488.html

Andre Rison on Line 1. Bernie Kosar on Line 2 ... If Te’o really is the soft and trusting lamb that Swarbrick made him out to be, can we fast-forward ten years to the story about how he blew all his money on some failed restaurant, car dealership or alpaca farm?

Fine, so I can get him up to 40%, but you didn’t hear it from me ... Oh, by the way, Manti, I represent Nigeria’s recently deposed Minister of Agriculture, who’s looking to find a way to hide a budget surplus. He needs to deposit $20 million in a bank account and he’ll let you keep 30%. Just e-mail over your latest bank statements, account numbers and passwords and he’ll deposit the funds right away.
And if you reply in the next ten minutes, you’ll get an Xbox, too! ... Manti, congratulations! You’ve won an iPad! It’s free! We just need you to cover the shipping and handling. Just type in your credit card and the three digit pin on the back and it’ll be sent out immediately!
:biggrin:

Last edited:

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
Are there any possible criminal charges that could come if he was in on the hoax? Anyone know?
from what I heard this morning from a lawyer of Mike and Mike there are no criminal charges unless they extorted something of value by doing this. There could be civil lawsuit for emotional damage.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In a related story, Paul McCartney is, in fact, still alive. (If you get this I have no doubt you're smiling right now).

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Maybe the Heaven's Gate people were right all along and Lennay was taken away by the Hale-Bopp comet. I mean, it sounds reasonable to me. We need to find out if she had an affinity for Nikes and purple blankets.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
In a related story, Paul McCartney is, in fact, still alive. (If you get this I have no doubt you're smiling right now).
Number 9................number 9....................number 9..................

Hey, does this mean Jim Morrison might still be alive?

"He never sent me a postcard, so I guess he is dead." -Robbie Krieger

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Same. Manti's best case scenario is that he was completely fooled and is thus probably the most gullible human being ever for not meeting his "girlfriend" in person for 3 years. I think that case is extremely unlikely because what college age guy (putting aside his lofty status) doesn't at some point want some physical contact. The jury is obviously still out on what role he may have played, but there is no denying at a minimum, he knew on December 6 with the phone call, but still had it discussed on December 8 and then waited about 3 weeks to inform ND (remember how quickly Marcell Dareus came in about the Miami trip thing and how quickly our staff worked to figure everything out).

With all the bad that hasn't stuck on ND (kid in the tower; rape allegations), karma comes around at some point.
This best case scenario of mind-boggling naïveté does not hold up under scrutiny. He still lied. He could have said, months ago, that the relationship was of correspondence and phone conversations, and that he looked forward to meeting her in person. He didn't. Now, Notre Dame is officially going along with the "Teo is a victim" idea, and trying to revise history. They should just say they are conducting an investigation, and will not comment until later. All the lies are going to be unfolded, and lying to cover up lies makes it worse.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I figured I should read the entire thread before I made a comment...

I've been trying to read it all the entire morning. Stuff being added nearly as fast as I can read it.

Finally I'm caught up and ready to comment...

but I got nothing, just speechless.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It just dawned on me.............he was a victim, and the perpetrator was................

His dad! Most of the statements about her, their meeting, talking on the phone, etc., seem to originate with him. Remember, this is the guy who had a cow over the "bowled over" picture, in the hometown newspaper. Can we put anything past this guy?

Makes about as much sense as the rest of this hoax. "Little League Dad", taken to new heights.

Or depths, depending on how you look at it.

(But, I could have just made all that up, to drive 'net traffic to this site. Can I call myself a "journalist" now?)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The thing about imaginary girlfriends is that they're pretty easy to break up with. No resistance or awkwardness whatsoever. Why you gotta go and kill her?

I think he has mental issues either way, because if he is the victim here then he is far too dumb to be a successful NFL MLB. How are you supposed to read an offense if you can't figure out whether your girlfriend is real?

I can't wait to see how this plays out.
I like your thoughts waaaay better over here on the Football board.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Accross the board, ESPN analysts treating this as though Manti is an innocent victim. They cannot all be that stupid, so there is someone giving them direction.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.