Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

So the writer thinks Te'o got duped? Hmmm, I wonder how that jives with what some ND players are apparently telling ESPN.
Aren't they saying they realized she wasn't real? I can see them among themselves being like "You know she isn't real", but actually trying to shield a teammate from what would be an embarrassing situation by not telling him.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Diamond, this is what was said on ESPN:

ESPN reporter Bob Holtsman reported he has spoken with some ND football players that say they knew Lennay wasn't his gf/or real, and that Manti knew and he would go along with the story in interviews and even point out his interviews to people when he saw himself on tv because he got a kick out of it.
That's a bit more then just shielding a teammate. That is everyone playing along with Te'o as the ringleader. I think it's pretty obvious what was going on and Te'o knew everything. What does he care though, he's about to make a butt load of money in the NFL and kids these days rarely have to pay any consequences for there actions.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
So the writer thinks Te'o got duped? Hmmm, I wonder how that jives with what some ND players are apparently telling ESPN.
Part of what allows pathological liars to get so far is that other people always want to see the best and believe the best about them (especially if they've met them or admire them in some way) until they absolutely are hit with the cold hard facts.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Part of what allows pathological liars to get so far is that other people always want to see the best and believe the best about them (especially if they've met them or admire them in some way) until they absolutely are hit with the cold hard facts.
additionally, these other folks will jump through hoops to convince themselves they weren't suckers. enablers to the bitter end, every last one of 'em ;)

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Years ago, there was an attorney in Florence who had everyone believing that he was a former SEAL. He even had a Purple Heart with three clusters on display at the VFW Hall and sciatica from alleged shrapnel in his back. He runs for county Probate Judge and gets elected. Several years later he takes off on the run with embezzled public funds. He is arrested out west in a few weeks after being tracked down by following credit card charges. Turns out he was in the Navy, but was below deck on a carrier during most of the time he was enlisted.
I remember that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.