Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The transcript with Thamel has more red flags in it than a bull fight.
SI: Your dad told me that he called you at 7 a.m. on the day she died. He said when he woke up he had texts from Lennay. I'm confused. Walk me through that day.
TE'O: She was actually getting better to the point where she was cleared to fly and was sent home. She was doing better.
SI: How long was she hospitalized?
TE'O: She was in that hospital for about two months.
SI: Wow, did she get out?
TE'O: She didn't get out. She went from there.
I'm confused if she ever left the hospital.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The transcript with Thamel has more red flags in it than a bull fight.
I'm been told I'm too logical, but that makes me brain hurt. It's just so illogical and does not follow any sort of linear process. I can't even understand how I could converse with someone saying this stuff. You can see a new lie covering up for an inconsistency in what he just said, rinse, repeat. It seems like the interviewer is on to him to, but he just continues like umm, ok that's a lot of bull but I'll continue.

It's like FDR in a wheelchair, the media all knew he was in it but just went on pretending he wasn't. If they don't like you, nothing will stop them from digging up dirt on you. If they like you, well it takes a heck of a lot to get them to do their job.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
So how many days of creating, honing, coaching, and practicing the story until we get to hear Manti tell his story?
He will make alot more money in Hollywood than in the NFL and have a longer career with is acting skillz.
Reminds me of living in So Cal when I was young and smart" Meet a girl in a bar. Me:"hey I got some coke in my BMW, you want to go out and have a blow?" Silly So Cal Girl:"Sure!" get out into the parking lot and Me: "Damn, my BMW is stolen with my coke in it, you think we can go to your place?" Silly So Cal Girl: "Sure."
Disclaimer, not a true story but a reality about how easy it was to blind a So Cal Blond much like the media that never questioned his story. Good times.

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Notre Shame found out about the hoax on Dec 26th, but never informed anyone. They let ESPN and other sports news organizations continue to report the false story of Te'o' girlfriend. They are as culpable in this hoax as Te'o.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm been told I'm too logical, but that makes me brain hurt. It's just so illogical and does not follow any sort of linear process. I can't even understand how I could converse with someone saying this stuff. You can see a new lie covering up for an inconsistency in what he just said, rinse, repeat. It seems like the interviewer is on to him to, but he just continues like umm, ok that's a lot of bull but I'll continue.

It's like FDR in a wheelchair, the media all knew he was in it but just went on pretending he wasn't. If they don't like you, nothing will stop them from digging up dirt on you. If they like you, well it takes a heck of a lot to get them to do their job.
These details came from a sick mind:

TE'O: She didn't get out. She went from there. Remember she got in the accident and she was in a coma. We lost her, actually, twice. She flatlined twice. They revived her twice. It was just a trippy situation. It was a day I was flying home from South Bend to go home for summer break. It was May. Mid-May. That was the day where they said, "Bro, we're going to pull it. We're going to pull the plug." I remember having this feeling like everything is going to be OK. They were telling me, "Say your goodbyes." From April 28 to around mid-May, I was always talking to my girlfriend who was on a machine.

SI: She couldn't communicate?

No. She could only breathe. One of the miraculous things was when I talked to her and she would hear my voice her breathing would pick up. Like quickly, and then she would start crying. But her breathing would quicken, and she would start crying. So her brother was in the room with the nurse. They were monitoring her. She said, "Who is she on the phone with?" Her boyfriend. She was like, "That's amazing. She doesn't do that with anybody else." So that happened. And then she flatlined and we were losing her.

The day I went home, that was the day they were going to pull it. They were saying their goodbyes and all that. I said, "Babe, I'm never going to say goodbye to you. If you really want to go, she really missed her dad, so I said, "If you want to go, be with dad, go. Just know that I love you very, very much." I had this very positive feeling that everything was going to be OK. I landed in Hawaii. By the time I said my goodbyes. Not my goodbyes, my I love you, I'll see you later, that kind of thing, I jumped on the airplane to go to Hawaii. They were scheduled to pull the plug while I was in the air.

So right when I landed, I was expecting to get a voicemail saying she's gone. So I landed and I had a voicemail from her brother saying, "Brother, call me back right now." So you can imagine what's going through my head. I was like, "What am I going to do? How am I going to take this?'"And so I called him back, the doctor came in and he saw something and he wants to try some treatment on her to see if it works. From there she slowly started to get better. Slowly. Eventually she came out of her coma and she started having memory problems and she couldn't remember because of the accident. That's how much damage she had to her frontal lobe. She had memory problems. I was actually the first person that she talked to. She was breathing, breathing. When I talked to her, I would say, "Babe, do you know who this is?" I knew she knew who it was because her breathing would pick up. I was like, "Relax, chill. Breathe slowly. Breathe slowly." And then, that was when she first started to speak was that conversation. I was like, "Babe, I love you. I love you." Very slightly she said, "I love you."

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I was about to post the same thing. The BIG thing I took from that article was at the bottom. The fundraiser was created 2 days after our win and ND promoted it through its AD website. This was about 2 weeks after (from ND's own version of events) the school was informed of the hoax. Yet, they still promoted a fundraiser that evoked the name of a person they knew to be fake.
ND sent a videographer and promoted this officially after they knew for a fact that she wasn't real? Forget that he told them on 12/26, they'd have plenty of reason to doubt him after all, but they got their private investigators report on the incident on 1/4!

ND? Are you just so used to getting away with it that you can be this blatant about it???

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Oh lawd. Thamel really is a goon.

So Te'o says she was in a coma, but that she would tell the doctors to just call her boyfriend and have him on the phone so she could sleep. That dude is nuts. Thamel was on it, even said this is unbelieavable, and simply let it go.

Te'o wasn't duped, he was doing the duping.
What Thamel got right in the interview

SI: This is unbelievable.

that's about it

Oh lawd. Thamel really is a goon.

So Te'o says she was in a coma, but that she would tell the doctors to just call her boyfriend and have him on the phone so she could sleep. That dude is nuts. Thamel was on it, even said this is unbelieavable, and simply let it go.

Te'o wasn't duped, he was doing the duping.
Yeah... that's the thing. Thamel gives off the impression he's smelling the B.S. but just lets it ride. He even points out at the beginning things like Stanford having no record of the girl but passing them off with excuses.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
So the writer thinks Te'o got duped? Hmmm, I wonder how that jives with what some ND players are apparently telling ESPN.
Aren't they saying they realized she wasn't real? I can see them among themselves being like "You know she isn't real", but actually trying to shield a teammate from what would be an embarrassing situation by not telling him.

This is from a ND student reporter:

Yet, even before the Michigan State game, Manti Te’o was being questioned by his teammates. Apparently Manti had only “seen” Lennay once — but I assume “seen” was a rather loose term used for “chatted with online” (however, this is extremely complicated to understand since they were reportedly talking since 2009, according to the Te’o family). The debate among teammates wasn’t whether or not Manti actually knew this girl — it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn’t think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti’s girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was — a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te’o's Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn’t want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn’t participate themselves — they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn’t deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew.​

A Notre Dame Student’s Take On Manti Teo’s “Dead Girlfriend” Hoax - Tyler Moorehead - ND Campus Rep

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Yeah... that's the thing. Thamel gives off the impression he's smelling the B.S. but just lets it ride. He even points out at the beginning things like Stanford having no record of the girl but passing them off with excuses.
yep, bottom line is people want to believe in something like this. they'll throw logic out the window because they are so blinded by their willingness to believe.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Here's the basis for Manti's "victim" status if the statements by ND and he are accurate:

1. He was contacted by someone using a fake persona
  2. He began conversing with them on a regular basis both online and on the phone
  3. He began to have feelings for them
  4. He asked to meet them multiple times, but the other person always failed to meet him for various reasons
  5. The person told him that they had a car wreck
  6. The person told him that they were diagnosed with leukemia
  7. The person told him that they had a bone marrow transplant
  8. The alleged siblings of the person told him that the person had died
  9. He believes that the person died and mourns them
  10. He is contacted almost 3 months later apparently by the person and told that they are not dead

There are plenty of people that likely are victims of the first two items on this list, especially regarding online communication. A few people are guilty of item 3 and there are cases of people beginning rather lengthy and quality relationships online, but it's probably a dangerous thing to do. Item 4 should have been a huge red flag and that should have been the end of the story. Items 5 through 8 are an issue only because Te'o was oblivious to the huge red flag of item 4. Item 9 is the result of having been gullible enough for all of the other items.

However, if the statements by Te'o and ND are correct, then there is still a second hoax and that is the one that was perpetrated by Manti Te'o and his parents.

1. Claimed in interviews that Manti and Lennay met at a Stanford football game in 2009.
  2. Claimed in interviews that Lennay traveled to Hawaii and met with Manti there multiple times.
  3. Insinuated that the relationship was personal and not merely online.
  4. Allowed the press to promulgate misrepresentations without informing them that the stories were misrepresentations.
  5. Took full advantage of the genuine sympathy elicited by the misrepresentations to assist him in gaining publicity and, in turn, gaining an advantage in competition for post-season awards.
  6. Built a following of impressionable kids based somewhat on the premise of overcoming tragedy.

In the first hoax, Manti may have been the victim. In the second hoax, he is clearly the villain and the victims are the fans that admired him, the journalists that trusted him, the organizations that lauded him and presented him with awards, the kids that idolized him and looked up to him as a role model, and then the biggest victim of all is trust itself.

If this person who was built up so much as a leader and a moral icon could so flippantly lie to the public, who will we feel is trustworthy from hence?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This is from a ND student reporter:
Yet, even before the Michigan State game, Manti Te’o was being questioned by his teammates. Apparently Manti had only “seen” Lennay once — but I assume “seen” was a rather loose term used for “chatted with online” (however, this is extremely complicated to understand since they were reportedly talking since 2009, according to the Te’o family). The debate among teammates wasn’t whether or not Manti actually knew this girl — it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn’t think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti’s girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was — a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te’o's Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn’t want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn’t participate themselves — they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn’t deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew.​

A Notre Dame Student’s Take On Manti Teo’s “Dead Girlfriend” Hoax - Tyler Moorehead - ND Campus Rep
Too little, too late ND. If the students and teammates were so against it, why didn't it come out until now?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.