Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
wait, Notre Dame finds out on 12/26.

Does a full thorough investigation and finds out on 1/4/13 that this is no doubt a hoax.

Te'o is so hurt by this that it affects his play on 1/8.

But Te'o still thinks it's real until 2 days ago?

Do I have this story right?

So if it wasn't a hoax (in Te'o's mind) on 1/8 why did it affect his play?

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
And here's the thing - just turn over the records of these eight-hour phone calls and we can discover it.
In the court of law, it is innocent until proven guilty.
In the court of public opinion, it is often guilty until proven innocent, especially when there is readily available exculpatory evidence.

If Teo is telling the truth (now), then the phone records can be easily produced. Likewise with the dozen white roses he said he sent. I don't think he can get away with claiming he paid cash, seeing as he's in South Bend, Indiana while her funeral is in California (or was it Hawaii?). If he sent them, there's a record.

An innocent person would be chomping at the bit to display proof of innocence. A guilty person hides, hopes it goes away, and waits for the next media circus to draw attention away.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt This is getting ridiculous RT @eric_adelson: Schaap cited a "typo in the transcript" and Te'o said he was NOT affected in the BCS game.

I think this whole story is one giant typo at this point.
In other words, here's what happened:

Te'o's agent: Oh, hey, it doesn't look good for my client that claims his play was affected by this. NFL teams might worry about that. Can you change this "typo" in your story?

Schaap: Yessir, you betcha!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In the court of law, it is innocent until proven guilty.
Even that is not TECHNICALLY true or else we could never try anybody. There is at least SOME DEGREE of PROBABLE GUILT assumed by the prosecutor or no trial would happen. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal fiction only - it serves no other realistic purpose.

I think that's what you're saying, and I agree. (Let's not get bogged down in word parsing here).

In the court of public opinion, it is often guilty until proven innocent,
Yes - that is why the press SHOULD be responsible. Somebody ask the late Richard Jewell about this one.

especially when there is readily available exculpatory evidence.
I misread this at first - I agree with you.

If Teo is telling the truth (now), then the phone records can be easily produced. Likewise with the dozen white roses he said he sent. I don't think he can get away with claiming he paid cash, seeing as he's in South Bend, Indiana while her funeral is in California (or was it Hawaii?). If he sent them, there's a record.
All true.

An innocent person would be chomping at the bit to display proof of innocence. A guilty person hides, hopes it goes away, and waits for the next media circus to draw attention away.
That's how we know OJ did it.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Te'o claims he talked for hours every day to the person he thought was Lennay. If he wants people to believe him then he should release all his phone records. Instead he will just keep telling more lies. The next time someone interviews him they should take a gold plated shovel, because there is a load of BS coming out of his mouth.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Just wondering what Manti Te'o made on the NFL's 'Wonderlic Test' ?
Did he get extra points on the 'Fake Dead Girlfriend' part of the test?

Pro teams will love him. Most of the teams have now scribbled a notation about Manti. (Easily Led)... ;)

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Te'o only learns the truth the same day the deadspin story breaks, and we're supposed to buy this?

I'd still like to know more about the female behind the voice that stayed on the phone with him all night, every night, for four months.

At some point, wouldn't this willing participant throw up her hands and say "To hell with his! I gotta get some sleep!"

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Really need phone records of all parties, a public admission or official report of such, by the others involved (rather than hearsay) and whoever paid for plane tickets (for the gf or others) for those supposed trips where he was supposed to meet her.

Otherwise I've no reason to believe someone who's just admitted to lying for months and continued to perpetuate and take advantage of the storyline for his own benefit.

Also Te'o didn't come forward when he knew a fund had been set up and it was a fraud nor did ND as it was still ongoing after Te'o informed ND on Dec.26.
Another detail ESPN isn't touching.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Some of you people who keep wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt need to review some of the facts. You are going to be easy marks for con men.

I know, he seems so nice. They all do. There's a lot of people out there who seem really nice, genuine, and caring, but inside they are really enjoying the hold they have over people, and love keeping people fooled. I've known a few people like this and it took a lot of evidence to convince me what was really going on with them.
This is a very good observation. From his false emoting in interviews to the other players saying that he'd get them to come and watch on TV "because he got a kick out of it," it all spells master con man...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Finding out it may have been a hoax weeks before affected his play negatively against Bama, but hearing of her death the day of, whichever game it was, affected his game positively? ;)
Good point. It apparently doesn't inspire him against SEC teams... ;)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I see him being stupid enough to fall for this hoax if he's stupid enough to admit to a national reporter it didn't cross his mind to go see his girlfriend of 3 years in the hospital while she was in a coma and battling leukemia.

If the media wants to say he was duped, they better call him out for being an idiot for that comment. What guy does that? Anytime a significant other gets mad, just say "Hey, I could be Manti Te'o and never see you in the hospital."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I see him being stupid enough to fall for this hoax if he's stupid enough to admit to a national reporter it didn't cross his mind to go see his girlfriend of 3 years in the hospital while she was in a coma and battling leukemia.

If the media wants to say he was duped, they better call him out for being an idiot for that comment. What guy does that? Anytime a significant other gets mad, just say "Hey, I could be Manti Te'o and never see you in the hospital."
That's just one of the "unbelievables" involved here...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.