Kirby Smart Reportedly Interviewing With Philadelphia Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
That's a given. Of course we all want what's best for him, but if this was really such a non-story and people weren't interested then we should have ended this discussion 4 or 5 pages ago.

I think we all keep coming to this thread looking for the latest info because we DO care.
A.) We are only on page 5 so if we ended this thread 5 pages ago it would not exist.
B.) I never said I did not care. I personally have met (no I am not syndicated) and talked football with Kirby and like him as a coach and a man, but I am not going to sweat this decision that HE has to make.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Hypothetically if he goes will Coach promote within or go with a new DC from outside?
IMO, Pruitt would have stepped up and became our next DC once Kirby left. Now that JP has went to FSU, Saban will now look for a DC from another staff.

I mean what are his options?

Lance Thompson- seriously...hell no
Rumph- great d-line coach but not ready to take the helms of DC (at least not at Alabama)
????

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Hypothetically if he goes will Coach promote within or go with a new DC from outside?
I honestly don't think we have a defensive coach within our staff that would be able to fill in. However, Saban has traditionally promoted from within on the defensive side. Saban has his finger on the defense. Not sure if Chris Rumph is ready yet. We lost Pruitt. I wonder if Sal Sunseri will come back. Was Derek Dooley a defensive coach or offensive coach while with Saban?

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I honestly don't think we have a defensive coach within our staff that would be able to fill in. However, Saban has traditionally promoted from within on the defensive side. Saban has his finger on the defense. Not sure if Chris Rumph is ready yet. We lost Pruitt. I wonder if Sal Sunseri will come back. Was Derek Dooley a defensive coach or offensive coach while with Saban?
Sal took a job at FSU with Pruitt...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
My suspicions is, if we do lose KS to the NFL, Saban will hire someone completely off the radar, much like Coach Nus, to come in and become the next DC.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
IMO, Pruitt would have stepped up and became our next DC once Kirby left. Now that JP has went to FSU, Saban will now look for a DC from another staff.

I mean what are his options?

Lance Thompson- seriously...hell no
Rumph- great d-line coach but not ready to take the helms of DC (at least not at Alabama)
????
I think Pruitt is being given too much credit. Heck 5 or 6 years ago he was eating turkey on Two-a-Days and trying to figure out how to stop Vestavia.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It seems like Coach has done a very good job hiring the OC's lately, so I don't think it would be a problem hiring a DC.

How about the UGA DC? Offer him $more$ than UGA! Isn't that what UGA tried to do to get Smart a few years ago. Isn't that why Smart has a million dollar ($900,000+) salary? If we don't get UGA"s DC, Grantham isn't it, we will get him a much higher salary at UGA.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Now, with all of that said, I sure hope Coach Smart stays at Bama at least one more year.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I think Pruitt is being given too much credit. Heck 5 or 6 years ago he was eating turkey on Two-a-Days and trying to figure out how to stop Vestavia.
Just telling you what I have been told...(Don't shoot the messenger and all that jazz and stuff)

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
It seems like Coach has done a very good job hiring the OC's lately, so I don't think it would be a problem hiring a DC.

How about the UGA DC? Offer him $more$ than UGA! Isn't that what UGA tried to do to get Smart a few years ago. Isn't that why Smart has a million dollar ($900,000+) salary? If we don't get UGA"s DC, Grantham isn't it, we will get him a much higher salary at UGA.
Hopefully we never ever hire Grantham for anything, if we're lucky. Not as good as advertised and he's a ......

ganu76

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 24, 2010
Seems like a lot of you expect smart to leave now
I don't necessarily expect him to leave for the Eagles. I do expect that he'll make the best choice based on what HE needs out of life, but who really knows when he'll wind up leaving us?

Like I tried to say this morning, all we can do is just wait and see how this pans out.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I personally have met (no I am not syndicated) and talked football with Kirby and like him as a coach and a man, but I am not going to sweat this decision that HE has to make.
Showoff... :D
My suspicions is, if we do lose KS to the NFL, Saban will hire someone completely off the radar, much like Coach Nus, to come in and become the next DC.
Remember seeing a tweet when CKS was in the AU mix. The tweet said CNS had already talked to someone about replacing CKS. He's got his list and will go by it when the time comes (and with as many interviews as CKS is doing, I would think the time is coming).
I sure b hate rumor and innuendo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
You have got to quit posting on TideFans while performing other actions. It's causing your posts to make no sense. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.