Infographic on just how dominant Alabama was against Notre Dame

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This has been posted before but not in a while. BTW, "dominate" is a verb. When you dominate another team, then you're "dominant."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Look, guys, I don't correct all of your spelling and grammar mistakes unless they appear in a thread title, where, believe it or not, it makes us all look bad... :D

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Look, guys, I don't correct all of your spelling and grammar mistakes unless they appear in a thread title, where, believe it or not, it makes us all look bad... :D
I was just joking with you, Earle. You are correct and I agree.

I may be a redneck at heart but I strive to be an educated redneck. ;-)

"Education comes from within, and ignorance is a choice."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was just joking with you, Earle. You are correct and I agree.

I may be a redneck at heart but I strive to be an educated redneck. ;-)

"Education comes from within, and ignorance is a choice."
I'd say that at least 90% of spelling errors and grammar errors in thread titles are not because the poster didn't know better. They are because of haste in posting and failure to proofread...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting. I am currently an accountant. How/why did you make that transition, Counselor? ;-)
Well, I had two older brothers who were CPAs and I went to work in one of their offices at 15. I went through Bama with an accounting major, working for the University Auditor, accountant for Northington Laundry, and for Jamison, Money, McWhorter and Farmer - but I didn't really want to become an accountant, so I went to law school. The last two years of law school, I worked half time for the AL Dept of Revenue as an income tax auditor. Finishing law school, I thought it would be a shame to waste all the accounting background, so I went to NYU and got an LLM in Taxation. That's the story...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Can we PLEASE at least all agree to use the Oxford comma. That's all I ask.

Take those AP Rules back where they belong.
Yes, please!!! :)

My favorite analogy on that is this sentence:
The intramural teams competing in the tournament will each be wearing jerseys in one of the following solid colors or color combinations: blue, red, orange and white, purple, green and yellow and black.

Without using the Oxford comma, you cannot definitively say - simply by reading the above sentence - how many teams are in the tournament, much less what the actual colors all of the jerseys will be. You know there are at least five teams but there could be six even without the sentence technically being grammatically incorrect - and that's assuming that they correctly used commas in the series, meaning semicolons were unnecessary.

There are obviously four teams with these jerseys:
- Blue Colored Jerseys
- Red Colored Jerseys
- Orange and White Colored Jerseys
- Purple Colored Jerseys

However, you cannot determine whether there is only a fifth team that is wearing Green, Yellow, and Black Colored Jerseys; a fifth team wearing Green Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Yellow and Black Colored Jerseys; or a fifth team wearing Green and Yellow Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Black Colored Jerseys.

And - regarding punctuation marks - can we also please [at least try to] get everyone to stop using apostrophes for plurality, learn to use semicolons in a series with comma delimited elements and use commas in a series without them, and stop comma splicing three or four times in every other sentence by using commas as a "pause" placeholder?

[/RANT]

:biggrin2:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

tmv85

All-SEC
Yes, please!!! :)

My favorite analogy on that is this sentence:
The intramural teams competing in the tournament will each be wearing jerseys in one of the following solid colors or color combinations: blue, red, orange and white, purple, green and yellow and black.

Without using the Oxford comma, you cannot definitively say - simply by reading the above sentence - how many teams are in the tournament, much less what the actual colors all of the jerseys will be. You know there are at least five teams but there could be six even without the sentence technically being grammatically incorrect - and that's assuming that they correctly used commas in the series, meaning semicolons were unnecessary.

There are obviously four teams with these jerseys:
- Blue Colored Jerseys
- Red Colored Jerseys
- Orange and White Colored Jerseys
- Purple Colored Jerseys

However, you cannot determine whether there is only a fifth team that is wearing Green, Yellow, and Black Colored Jerseys; a fifth team wearing Green Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Yellow and Black Colored Jerseys; or a fifth team wearing Green and Yellow Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Black Colored Jerseys.

And - regarding punctuation marks - can we also please [at least try to] get everyone to stop using apostrophes for plurality, learn to use semicolons in a series with comma delimited elements and use commas in a series without them, and stop comma splicing three or four times in every other sentence by using commas as a "pause" placeholder?

[/RANT]

:biggrin2:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
Just between you and I, it makes me crazy when I don't know where to put the comma at.

The above sentence has my two biggest grammatical pet peeves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.