Any Bourbon Connoisseurs
Thanks Thanks:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team AlabasterBama's Avatar

Any Bourbon Connoisseurs

Over the past year or so I was introduced to bourbon. A friend (Kentuckian) has helped me with my collection and understanding of the spirit. I have a decent collection of my favorites in which are affordable. Are there any fellow tidefans that have a favorite or a brand they enjoy more than others.

Here are the ones I have in my collection
    Knob Creek 9 year - favorite
    Elijah Craig 12 year - close second
    Woodford Reserve 7 year - day to day choice
    Four Roses small batch - Very good
    Makers Mark 46 - when company comes
    Angel's Envy - Newer brand that is good but not aged as long
    Van Winkle 20 year - Special Occasions

Any suggestions for $80 or under

BamaNation First Team lazlohollyfeld's Avatar

Re: Any Bourbon Connoisseurs

We agree on day to day and company whiskey. Although I have some good friends that are allowed full access to the cabinet. I also make a distinction in what they will be doing with my bourbon. If they drink it neat or with ice and perhaps a splash of water then Makers 46 is the "company whiskey". For those doing anything more there is an ancient bottle of Jack in the back of the cabinet. I would add:

Blanton's -Single barrel made at the Buffalo Trace distillery.
    Bulleit - Bourbon out of Four Roses distillery that is higher in rye content. They also make a straight rye that is very good.
    Balcones Distillery - If you ever are near Texas try and find it. These are small batch bourbons distilled in Waco and I am not sure if they are distributed far and wide yet. Balcones Baby Blue is made from blue corn and Balcones Brimstone is a blue corn that is smoked with Texas scrub oak. Both are around $50 for a 750ml bottle.
    Last edited by lazlohollyfeld; January 20th, 2013 at 02:24 PM.

thanks for the suggestions. Another friend has suggested Blanton's as well. I am going to get a bottle today. I have relatives that live in Dallas and have emailed them about providing a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue and Balcones Brimstone. Thanks again.

I like your list and agree with the top four. I haven't tried Four Roses but will. For company, I like George Dickel White label (no. 12) or Makers Mark. But if they try to mix anything with it, they only get one drink . Good bourbon should be sipped neat or with an ice cube or two...IMHO

I started using big giant ice cubes and kind of like the look and feel. They are 2" square cubes and will stay in good shape for 2-3-4 pours. Company called Tovolo make the trays.

BamaNation All-SEC TheAccountant's Avatar

Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite day-to-day bourbon as you can get a bottle for $20-25. It comes the same distillery (its namesake) that produces Van Winkle, Blanton's and Eagle Rare (another good, inexpensive bourbon).

Have another to add that I just tried this weekend. The wife and I were enjoying a late Valentines dinner at Chamberlains in Addison, near Dallas. I don't usually go for mixed drinks but happened to glance at the cocktail menu where I saw a listing for a Texas Mule. I have had a Moscow Mule before (vodka and ginger beer) and that begat the Kentucky Mule (bourbon and ginger beer) which I like even more as it literally combines two of my favorite things. Obviously the Texas implied something other than the Moscow/Kentucky versions. At first I thought it might be tequila and ginger beer but I dismissed that for obvious reasons. The waitress shared that this particular Mule was made with a Texas whiskey distilled in Fort Worth by Firestone and Robertson. Obviously I had to try one and then, for good measure and tasting purposes, have another. It seemed a good whiskey although it was under heavy ginger and lime, so I am not completely sure, but it certainly wasn't a $9 bottle of McCormick.

I was going to, and should have, tried it my preferred way over ice to get a better idea of the flavor profile. Unfortunately for me as I was finishing my second Mule we were hitting entree time and we got into some wine. Going back to whiskey might have been dangerous. I'm going to try and snag a bottle this week and give it a proper try. Their website leads me to believe they are Texas only as far as distribution.
    Last edited by lazlohollyfeld; February 20th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

BamaNation All-SEC RollinTider1335's Avatar

Any Bourbon Connoisseurs

Gentleman Jack is my "go to".

BamaNation All-American formersoldier71's Avatar

Jack Daniel's and George Dickel are both Tennessee Whiskeys, not Bourbon.
    Victory... does not depend entirely upon numbers or mere courage; only skill and discipline will insure it. - Vegetius

BamaNation All-American formersoldier71's Avatar

Haven't had any in a long time, but I did like Rebel Yell.

Also, Evan Williams was and probably still is the devil.
    Victory... does not depend entirely upon numbers or mere courage; only skill and discipline will insure it. - Vegetius

Rebel reserve by rebel yell distillery. I. Bought a bottle for the weekend. It is very similar to Buffalo Trace, just a little more hot
    Last edited by AlabasterBama; March 10th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheAccountant View Post
    Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite day-to-day bourbon as you can get a bottle for $20-25. It comes the same distillery (its namesake) that produces Van Winkle, Blanton's and Eagle Rare (another good, inexpensive bourbon).
    One of my friends turned me on to Buffalo Trace. Before that Bulleit was the go to in my bar.

Picked up a bottle of Eagle's Rare this week. Very good bottle for around 30.00. 10 year aged bourbon at 90 proof very similar to Kobc Creek not as sweet and bit more hot aftertaste. That being said i will keep a bottle in the collection. Also picked up a 16.99 bottle of Fighting ..... 6 year aged and 103 proof. Not for the faint of heart. Robust flavor and HOT. Had to water it down to sip, but made excellent mixed drinks. If you are looking for an alternative mixing bourbon I would recommend. It does pack a punch. Happy sipping

the Fighting ..... is censored by our tidefans leaders. the .... is a four letter word for a rooster that starts with a C and ends with a K What has the world come too lol
    Last edited by AlabasterBama; March 23rd, 2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: explain