CTE found in living football players.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Once football is nothing more than an historical footnote, I believe bass fishing will be the next sport to get 86'd.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Like racing, football will evolve. Rules will be tweaked (I really wouldn't be shocked to see something like youth league style player weight range limits eventually implemented at most levels) and equipment will improve, but it isn't going away until people quit wanting to watch it.
This.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Looks like President Obama won't let his kid play football..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
He doesn't have a son, and he isn't from an area that loves youth or high school football, so no surprise. Still, a lot of Americans will react to recent news as they do with other news. They will jump to conclusions and accept current reports as conclusive evidence.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Looks like President Obama won't let his kid play football..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
I loved playing ball, played for a long time, and currently show no ill-effects from it. But I understand what he's saying and I'm honestly thankful my kids aren't interested in playing football. I love to watch it, but as we learn more and more about the potential damage to the brain, it's definitely something to consider as a parent.

THIS is the aspect that is most likely to damage / change the future of football, imo - parents not encouraging (or even allowing) their boys to play.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
He doesn't have a son, and he isn't from an area that loves youth or high school football, so no surprise. Still, a lot of Americans will react to recent news as they do with other news. They will jump to conclusions and accept current reports as conclusive evidence.
I should have worded that better..If he had a son..He wouldn't let him play football..

I loved playing ball, played for a long time, and currently show no ill-effects from it. But I understand what he's saying and I'm honestly thankful my kids aren't interested in playing football. I love to watch it, but as we learn more and more about the potential damage to the brain, it's definitely something to consider as a parent.

THIS is the aspect that is most likely to damage / change the future of football, imo - parents not encouraging (or even allowing) their boys to play.
Exactly..It would be tough call if I had a son wanting to play football..It's a violent sport..Lots of parents feel the same way..I see lots of Boys at my girls school that simply don't play or are not allowed to play football..Just the sheer number of kids playing football are down..As compared to when I played high school football..It is at my old high school anyways..

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Not sure if this was stated in the original article, but did this research include NON-football players? I mean, I could have this protein in my brain and I have never played a down of tackle football in my life! Now flag and two-hand touch--that's a different story. :)

My point is, there are thousands and thousands of people who suffer from neurological diseases who never played sports. What does the research say about that?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not sure if this was stated in the original article, but did this research include NON-football players? I mean, I could have this protein in my brain and I have never played a down of tackle football in my life! Now flag and two-hand touch--that's a different story. :)

My point is, there are thousands and thousands of people who suffer from neurological diseases who never played sports. What does the research say about that?
There are a number of tauopathies, including Alzheimer Disease, progressive supranuclear palsy, and others.

This research takes an innovative approach in findings these proteins and finding patterns fitting with CTE in the brains of football players with and without long term cognitive effects from concussion(s). It is needed preliminary research. Subsequent research will need to confirm this early research and answer other questions such as those you pose here. In other words, still a lot of work to do on this one.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
There are a number of tauopathies, including Alzheimer Disease, progressive supranuclear palsy, and others.

This research takes an innovative approach in findings these proteins and finding patterns fitting with CTE in the brains of football players with and without long term cognitive effects from concussion(s). It is needed preliminary research. Subsequent research will need to confirm this early research and answer other questions such as those you pose here. In other words, still a lot of work to do on this one.
Thanks! I have a friend whose father and one or two of his brothers all passed away from ALS. So sad and we definitely need more research.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My son played football a couple times but was never really into it. I'm really glad he has no desire to play anymore. He wrestles for his high school team, so he gets a pretty good workout doing that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.