CTE found in living football players.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Football isn't going anywhere for a long time, but I do expect a lot of rule changes in increments. I mean, there are rule changes when there is no fear. Add a little fear, and we'll certainly have some rule changes.

I have certainly seen a lot of families decide to not let their children play football. It was even a point of discussion on sports talk a few weeks ago. The host, who played CFB, said he will not let his children play football "knowing what we know now." But, there will always be enough people who will want to play. That's not the concern to me. The concern is the rule changes, IMO.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Football isn't going anywhere for a long time, but I do expect a lot of rule changes in increments. I mean, there are rule changes when there is no fear. Add a little fear, and we'll certainly have some rule changes.

I have certainly seen a lot of families decide to not let their children play football. It was even a point of discussion on sports talk a few weeks ago. The host, who played CFB, said he will not let his children play football "knowing what we know now." But, there will always be enough people who will want to play. That's not the concern to me. The concern is the rule changes, IMO.
Yep, hopefully it's gonna be like smoking: We know it's bad, yet a LOT of us are still dumb enough to do it.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
More to a realistic point - as football goes away so does virtually every other college sport; a plethora of academic programs such as band; and millions and millions of dollars that go to support things like Science Labs, Computer Labs, Heath and Therapeutic Facilities, Campus Renovations (for purely academic and not just athletic buildings), and Academic Scholarships, just to name a few.

Take away college football and you'll be taking away literally billions of dollars from America's Universities that they will not get from somewhere else. Take away college football and you'll be taking away hundreds of academic programs at thousands of Universities. How many Universities will continue to run Sports Science and Physical Therapy academic programs and facilities without football providing both the direct need and the funding to run them? Very few. Take away college football and not only will you be taking away millions of dollars that the football programs / athletic departments contribute directly to the academic side of things at most Universities but also the millions and millions of dollars that are contributed each year by fans and boosters directly to the academic side of things as a direct result of their interest in the football program. When fans/boosters give $10k, $50k, and $100k contributions to the University in order to get better standing in Tide Pride - so that they can get tickets or get better tickets for the regular season and/or post-season games - much of that money goes straight into academic funds and much of that straight into academic scholarships. Take away college football and you'll be taking away scholarships from tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of students across the country each year who will never officially play any sport, much less football, at their University.
Actually, I was just being facetious. But thanks for the reality check.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
If you dont think the future of football is in jeopardy you are very wrong. Youth football leagues and high school programs are already feeling the pinch by the higher cost of obtaining liability insurance from insurance companies. Its becoming more and more expensive to insure the civic and school programs. Insurance companies are going to dictate the future of tackle football in this country. And if the NFL players win this lawsuit.......
You are, unfortunately, dead on here. Lawyers will win suit after suit after suit as more evidence builds that show how dangerous the game is, and as a result premiums for Stadiums, leagues, schools, and parents (the parents and families of the kids who do the hitting will eventually become targets) will escalate to the point of being prohibitive for all but the very few. There will be more and more rules. The fun will leave the game. If the NFL players win all the lawsuits that are building, then the NFL could be done for as well...and any other league that may rise to take its place.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
What about baseball? I know that it's not AS dangerous, but is there not risk involved? The longer a player plays the game, the greater his chances of taking a line drive to the head. Same can be said for basketball. Chuck Davis at Alabama suffered a horrible injury on the basketball court a few years ago. Remember Hank Gathers from Loyola-Marymount about 23 years ago? What about Hockey? Tennis? Boxing? Horse racing? Should those go away too? After all, they do involve risk.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
What about baseball? I know that it's not AS dangerous, but is there not risk involved? The longer a player plays the game, the greater his chances of taking a line drive to the head. Same can be said for basketball. Chuck Davis at Alabama suffered a horrible injury on the basketball court a few years ago. Remember Hank Gathers from Loyola-Marymount about 23 years ago? What about Hockey? Tennis? Boxing? Horse racing? Should those go away too? After all, they do involve risk.
The death of Hank Gathers still influences sports at all levels and really brought to the forefront Brugada Syndrome and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in young athletes in all sports. In that case it isn't so much about the sport itself but in properly screening for heart problems and so is more of a medical issue than an issue about the sport of basketball. There is still ongoing debate in this area from a standpoint of best practices and liability, so the it still very influential.

Again, injuries will always be a part of the game and of life in general. What will happen is that as we learn more there will be more rule changes to offer protection to athletes in the prevention of head injuries. The game will not drastically change, but will become a little less violent.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Wasn't there an article or 60 minutes episode about how the antenna in cell phones caused brain tumors many years ago. As I recall, it was this research which led to the reason none of us have cell phones today.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Yep, hopefully it's gonna be like smoking: We know it's bad, yet a LOT of us are still dumb enough to do it.
That's when the do gooders will really step in. It will be made out to be a racist game since such a large number of black youth play it versus white youth. They will say that the black youth and poor youth are forced to risk their long term health for the entertainment of others, mostly whites, because they are desperate to change their life's circumstances.
I know some of you will refuse to believe it is even possible, but how many people thought even 5 years ago the size if soft drink you drink or the amount of salt in your food would be regulated in some places?

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Y'all quit it with the "what about Sport X."

No other sport has the rate of concussions as football. No other sport is currently so popular. No other sport has former and current players committing suicide. No other sport has at least half of its participants banging heads together on at least every play.

This issue is about football, and football alone.

I love this sport dearly, but clearly something is amiss.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Y'all quit it with the "what about Sport X."

No other sport has the rate of concussions as football. No other sport is currently so popular. No other sport has former and current players committing suicide. No other sport has at least half of its participants banging heads together on at least every play.

This issue is about football, and football alone.

I love this sport dearly, but clearly something is amiss.
People commit suicide in every walk of life, and in every sport. This is far from comprehensive, but this page shows more suicides in baseball than football. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Sportspeople_who_committed_suicide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
While I agree that something has to be done to protect the brains of football players, the recent lawsuits, like that by Junior Seau's family, make me care less and less. These athletes and their families know the risks that they are taking. Did they know the EXACT risks or outcomes? No - but they knew that their long term quality of life would be destroyed, and their lifespans shortened significantly. This has been common knowledge for decades. It is like cigarette smokers suing tobacco companies for selling a product that they know is killing them.

Tell me - if Junior Seau (example - not him specifically) knew that there was a chance that he would die young, but that he would make tens of millions of dollars and be adored by millions of fans - would he have chosen a different life? I seriously doubt it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
A: One of the main ways to lose a boxing match is a "knockout".
B: That suicide claim is highly dubious.

I think there are some health issues, but this is turning into the media run amok. In terms of blaming the league for player suicides? These were grown men voluntarily participating in an activity. It's especially ridiculous when a defensive player commits suicide, and they try to blame the league. He was the one hitting people! It's the fault of the league that he hurt himself hitting people?

The only legal grounds I see for that sort of thing is if they find the league knew about things like CTE, and intentionally hid the danger from players. Then, I think they have some sort of a case. Otherwise? These people were acting of their own free will. I might as well sue Little Cesar's because I gained a few pounds.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
ue knew about things like CTE, and intentionally hid the danger from players. Then, I think they have some sort of a case. Otherwise? These people were acting of their own free will. I might as well sue Little Cesar's because I gained a few pounds.
When you do, I want in on that lawsuit! ;)

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
And I'm sure you gather with family and friends to watch cliff diving each weekend. What's on the menu this week?
How many people have been killed playing football?

Hundreds of thousands of people fill the grandstands at NASCAR, IRL, and the hundreds of short tracks across our country every weekend during the racing season. Millions more watch at home and the cars are decorated with the names of a great many Fortune 500 companies.

Just over a season ago, the defending Indy 500 winner died live on national TV. A decade ago, the most popular driver in the history of NASCAR died on live TV. At all levels, somewhere around a dozen drivers will die every single year and the people keep coming, the sponsors keep coming, and TV keeps paying more and more for the rights.

Like racing, football will evolve. Rules will be tweaked (I really wouldn't be shocked to see something like youth league style player weight range limits eventually implemented at most levels) and equipment will improve, but it isn't going away until people quit wanting to watch it.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
When you do, I want in on that lawsuit! ;)
Huge class action!

Interesting to look at Rugby. Lots of collisions there also but you have to tackle in a different way since you don't have a lot of protection. Obvious difference in the speed of the games.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Well boxing should be eliminated then. "We" are all excited to see someone get knocked out in boxing. Or have you seen the commercials and potential side effects from the drugs taken? Yet people take those drugs knowing the risk. The game may change some but there will always be risk involved. I believe some agreements will be signed and disclosures made but the game will essentially move on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.