NCAA launches external review of enforcement program due to issues in Miami case

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I just think the Division I conferences and universities need to form a new organization and formulate reasonable rules/regulations that ALL must comply with and sue the NCAA so that it can receive some/most of the $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$ that the NCAA has received from its members.

It's location needs to be in a place equi-distance from North/South and East/West.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The other annoying thing to me, is that the NCAA has gone out of their way to make themselves impotent. I find this frustrating because about the only way to stop Alabama now, is to go the Auburn route. Now, the NCAA is going oh hey, don't worry, we won't do anything.

This also becomes a trap because not only is it encouraging rule breaking by making it obvious they're not being as aggressive, but it can encourage Alabama boosters as well. And, for some reason I feel like Alabama still wouldn't get away with it, because too many people want them to go down.

I want to applaud this whole thing, because it makes the NCAA look like idiots, but the NCAA picked the wrong time to grow a conscious.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think the situation with the NCAA has come about not because they grew a conscience, but because their actions cross not just ethical and professional, but also legal bounds. That's the crux of the situation. Breaking their own rules really wasn't the issue. Breaking professional rules and the rule of law - that will get you into trouble as individuals and as an organization.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't blame the NCAA for using Shapiro to help them find the bodies, so to speak, but if their entire case is dependant on the testimony of this kind of liar then they are beyond help.
Gee, I know you've been here awhile. We're sitting here figuring irony can be pretty ironic. Since when is having the coach of an arch-rival as the secret witness against you "reliable" testimony?

And it was a liar, Gene Jelks, who got the ball rolling on us in the first place. Although we didn't get hit for anything regarding Jelks, it was one of those "let's see what else we can find" searches that got us in the NCAA doghouse.

You simply aren't going to find any more Tide fans who think the NCAA is even remotely fair than you will Buckeye fans. It's one thing to have punished us - that would have been one thing. Killing a man for jaywalking, though is something else.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the situation with the NCAA has come about not because they grew a conscience, but because their actions cross not just ethical and professional, but also legal bounds. That's the crux of the situation. Breaking their own rules really wasn't the issue. Breaking professional rules and the rule of law - that will get you into trouble as individuals and as an organization.
Then explain the Cam situation. They hammered other programs with less proof.

They did every underhanded and unethical tactic against Alabama, and threatened to do worse. Something changed, but it's a little late isn't it? Now, it makes Alabama's punishment that much more pointless. They can't even say they used Alabama as an example anymore, now the example is you can shop your kid, and you can break the rules so long as the NCAA can't make you admit to doing it.

I hate the NCAA, but the NCAA policy is turning into don't ask don't tell. I swear someone there is like look, the only way to stop Nick Saban's recruiting is to buy recruits. It's like one more way for the NCAA to get Alabama, heh...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Gee, I know you've been here awhile. We're sitting here figuring irony can be pretty ironic. Since when is having the coach of an arch-rival as the secret witness against you "reliable" testimony?

And it was a liar, Gene Jelks, who got the ball rolling on us in the first place. Although we didn't get hit for anything regarding Jelks, it was one of those "let's see what else we can find" searches that got us in the NCAA doghouse.

You simply aren't going to find any more Tide fans who think the NCAA is even remotely fair than you will Buckeye fans. It's one thing to have punished us - that would have been one thing. Killing a man for jaywalking, though is something else.
Yep - the NCAA has always acted capriciously. This has to be driven by something other than a desire to be "fair" or "ethical" in their investigations.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Then explain the Cam situation. They hammered other programs with less proof.

They did every underhanded and unethical tactic against Alabama, and threatened to do worse. Something changed, but it's a little late isn't it? Now, it makes Alabama's punishment that much more pointless. They can't even say they used Alabama as an example anymore, now the example is you can shop your kid, and you can break the rules so long as the NCAA can't make you admit to doing it.

I hate the NCAA, but the NCAA policy is turning into don't ask don't tell. I swear someone there is like look, the only way to stop Nick Saban's recruiting is to buy recruits. It's like one more way for the NCAA to get Alabama, heh...
How am I supposed to explain the $cam situation other than *U lawyered-up? It appears someone in Miami did the same, but this time they had something more which prompted the NCAA to investigate itself, as it were. That something was the NCAA appears to have crossed legal bounds and is afraid of the potential legal consequences.

Alabama's case is completely different in some respects, but the lawyers in the group can probably better answer if legal lines may have been crossed there. Problem is that even if they did cross legal bounds in our case the Alabama staff at the time basically fell on their sword.

IMHO, *U showed the way in how to beat an NCAA investigation and it appears Miami may have perfected it, with the NCAA's help. No one at UA was willing to put up that kind of fight. Perhaps they were afraid of further retaliation after the previous case with them. Maybe they were just inept. Whatever the case, the NCAA has gotten itself in quite the mess this time.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
So if they decide to revisit the Albert Means case, we should get all our recruits back spread out over the next three years plus money missed from the bowl bans even though we still played Hawaii? Makes sense to me.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
The Means case is why I don't trust the NCAA & Hate 10RC.

The deal with Slime to save Cammy was just one of many crocked things the NCAA has done.

But don't confuse the Miami situation with Bama's. Fulmer & Kramer were going to bring down Bama at all cost, Miami has only its own to blame for its troubles.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I wonder how the NCAA expects to get schools to cooperate. Boogville University provided the road map to escape NCAA punishment and as I predicted other schools have followed suit creating a new cottage industry of NCAA legal defense teams (Gene Marsh is smiling right now). The NCAA punished Penn State for issues they have no authority to regulate, and ignore the obvious and let *U win a national championship almost everyone universally dismisses as tainted. They now say that they must adhere to their own weak rules of evidence to find and punish rule breakers. So the NCAA has finally grown a conscience, but I have to wonder why now? Their investigators have bullied, and threatened kids as well as universities for years with no repercussions. If the NCAA had to abide by their own rules, we would have never had the dark days of the Means investigation which went on for years.

Usually the NCAA makes decisions based on money and politics, but now they are sending mixed messages as to how they want to regulate "amateurism", schools and college athletics in general. One one hand they are bellowing that schools need to punished more severely for breaking the rules on major violations and then on the other they are saying that they have no real authority to actually investigate or even gather evidence. I am sure Mark Emmert is a smart man, but the actions of the NCAA in the past 3 years has done nothing but weaken the organization to the point where they are nothing more than the organizer of a basketball tournament. The University presidents need to wise up and eliminate the NCAA altogether. They need to create an organization that regulates all sports not just everything but division one football and one that has the ability to enforce fair play for all schools. Until that day comes, expect rogue schools to become more aggressive in cheating the system. It is simple risk reward.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The Means case is why I don't trust the NCAA & Hate 10RC.

The deal with Slime to save Cammy was just one of many crocked things the NCAA has done.

But don't confuse the Miami situation with Bama's. Fulmer & Kramer were going to bring down Bama at all cost, Miami has only its own to blame for its troubles.
The Miami case is unbelievably widespread. The Means case involves a single player. The only similarities seemed to be that the NCAA broke their own rules each time. But, if Alabama deserved their punishment in the Means case, Miami deserves to lose their football program for about a decade.

The NCAA is now inept and has basically told everyone out there that you can break the rules, and how not to get caught.
A: You can sell your kid, publicly, just hide the money trail.
B: You can break any other rules, just remember that loose lips sink ships. They can't compel testimony anyway.

A lot of this goes back to the Auburn case in my mind, there were a lot of wild theories and some of them went back to FBI investigations and the like. Well it seems like the NCAA is saying here they won't use that information even if you laid it on their desk.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...caa-miami-hurricanes-investigation-says-patsy

"Perez then questioned the NCAA's motives.
"I don't know what it's all about and I find this very suspicious," she said. "And I'm starting to believe they want (to) intentionally botch this investigation for reasons I can only imagine are monetary.""

This is ridiculous. The NCAA is not a court of law. I agree completely that they should follow their own rules, and anyone who broke them should be severely punished. However, if it lead to proof of wrong doing from Miami, why on earth would they throw it out? They have an agenda here...

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
As long as the NCAA acts within accordance of the law, they're own internal procedures can be 'shady'. For instance 'we had enough people come forward claiming you paid Bill Athlete $20 to go to City college, so we're punishing you' or 'yeah, we had a person or two claim you paid Bill Athlete $20, but we're not convinced (read: we like you) so we aren't doing anything to you'. No laws broken...but completely arbitrary and frustrating.

For the NCAA, which has no subpoena power, to compel Shapiro to disclose information from the bankruptcy proceedings, is wrong, unethical, and thy got busted. This isn't about hating Bama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The NCAA has blackmailed Universities into cooperating with their witch hunts.
In the Albert Means case we fell on the sword. We basically gave them permission to hammer us
as hard as they wanted to... they did.
We lacked the leadership to look them in the eye and tell them where to get off...

Auburn refused to play nice. and the NCAA backed down.
Miami refused to cooperate and the NCAA is backing down.

What have we learned. If they have the goods on you, refuse to acknowledge it. If they have witnesses try to discredit them.

If this isn't enough reason to leave the NZAA, what is?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.