Areas to Tidy Up For A Run at #16

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A lot of ppl have hit on the areas, but the three biggest issues will be:

1) Offensive line -- obviously replacing 3 starters, 2 of whom are first round picks (Fluker may go into the 2nd) and the third starter was probably our most decorated OL in Bama history, we have some big shoes to fill. I think we'll find a good enough combination.

2) Defensive Backs -- we lose our two best DB's in what was probably our "weak link" on defense this year. It was a weaker spot because we were playing more inexperienced guys there, so this area may be shored up since a lot of young guys (Geno, Ha-Ha in particular) got a lot of quality PT. I am concerned about losing our best cover corner though without someone waiting in the wings. When we lost Kareem, Dre was there; when we lost Dre, Dee was there. Geno may be the answer because he looked better at the end of the year. Fulton and Belue improved, but Belue's big issue is size.

3) Blocking TE -- our running game wasn't just powered by our awesome OL. We had a 270 lb TE in there as well that was almost another OL with his blocking ability. Vogler looked decent against UGA and he poses a better receiving threat than MW, but Williams' blocking ability will be sorely missed, especially with a younger OL needing time to gel.

I'm not too concerned about the DL because we rotate a lot of guys, so the new starters (probably Ivory and Pagan) got a lot of meaningful snaps. The bigger concern is leadership lost on the DL. Some guys will have to step up into those roles.
Don't forget about this guy. He came on pretty strong this year. And then we'll add Mr. OJ to that mix too!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/501545/brian-vogler

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I think Lester was an unsung hero in the back end of the defense. Losing him will leave a big hole back there. Let's hope Landon Collins and/or Eddie Williams are ready for full time work. The loss of Mark Barron this season was evident early in the year - we didn't have that sure-thing run stopper in the defensive backfield. HaHa has played great this year, especially down the stretch. We need a young safety to step up and take that spot.

Also, is Ivory ready to step in as the #1 NG? It was nice to have big Jesse in the middle this year.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Offensive line, obviously.

We need to develop our next shut-down corner. Belue, Smith, Fulton....someone, needs to step in to this role with Milliner gone.

Improved pass rush. Hubbard, Stinson, Pagan need to improve their production from this year.

We need a solid back-up for Fowler. He is a versatile player and adds a different dynamic to the offense. If he gets injured again this year, we need someone who can step in to that role with little drop-off.
With Fowler, we have the I formation, which is going to be brutal...

Think we have enough experience on defense that the losses arent going to sting as badly....definitly need to get our starting CBs squared up, but safety has plenty of experience to step up.

D-Line, lots of players got good experience, and we'll be fine...would be nice to have someone show up as more of a pass rusher, but we'll be fine.

O-Line is the biggest ? mark....Replacing a center, right tackle and a guard will be a challenge, and how quickly they come together as a unit will be huge for us. Arie K is my first thought for guard, Ryan Kelly should be the leading candidate for center (and have heard he's going to be a good one...)...but right tackle? Maybe shepherd or the JUCO Leon Brown...?

If our line forms and gels quickly, it'll be fun seeing what our offense can do this season...they'll be more talented overall than last year....and that's scary, at least for other teams...

Running back will be fine...I'm super excited to have Fowler come back, he was fun to watch before his injury...
plenty of talent to step up as #2....Kenyan Drake may fill that role from what he was showing last season in a limited capacity, but we'll see if one of the true frosh coming in just shows out in the spring. either way, we're good there.

Wide receiver...wow, what can you say...we're just loaded to the point of embarrasment :)..

We'll have a rock Solid QB who is experienced and talented, but who is #2 at that position? Once again, worries as to who steps in if something happens (knock on wood..)

Going to be a great season, we have a very experienced core group coming back, and just tons of talent ready to mature and contribute to our next run.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Time for this video, again!

Miami is such a far drive. :biggrin:

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Don't worry! Be Happy! Have confidence in the best coaching staff in the world. Good days are here and likely for the near future. All concerns will be addressed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.