Who's the Single Greatest Player in Alabama History?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Bama Hammer is doing a March Madness style tournament to find out who the best player in Alabama history is. I've gotta be honest, there are some players I'd never heard of including guys like Robert Stewart, Arvin Richard, and David Bailey. But that's the nature of the way the brackets are laid out because they took the top 8 at each position.

The first matchup is John Hannah vs. Robert Stewart which seems like a no brainer. Should be pretty fun when it gets down to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Incredibly hard. Ingram won the Heisman which would have to put him way up there. Namath was great and probably our biggest name ever but really did more in the pros than in college. With that being said #10 at QB right now will go down as the greatest in a few short years.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
Any time something like this comes up I always answer Don Hutson. He is undoubtedly the greatest player to don the crimson and white, no pun intended. He changed the way football is played, a man far before his time, and far behind the defense.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
As CrimsonSEC stated..That's nearly an impossible question to answer..Some of the greatest players the game has ever seen walked on our sideline..Even though he's a Senior this year..As the years pass by..What Barrett Jones did at Bama will only become more amazing & will be nearly impossible to duplicate(I don't think it will be done again)..

To become an All American at 3 different positions is unheard of..That feat puts him on the "Legend" level & status right now..He get my vote in this thread..50 yrs from now folks will look back with amazement as they talk about Barrett..And we had the pleasure to witness it as it happened..

BamaSam1

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2011
Dwight Stephenson would have to be on the list, based on CPB's assessment of him.
Forgive me for bringing up Don Shula's name but I have always been a Dolphins fan. Don Shula once called Dwight Stephenson the best football player he ever had the opportunity to coach. That is saying alot.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It is tough enough to narrow it down enough to even create a bracket, much less seed it. That said, Robert Stewart was a fun player to watch, he hasn't got a chance against John Hannah.

Condor 63

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2003
Birmingham, AL
home.bham.rr.com
Robert Stewart was one of my favorites. Fireplug, but no chance against Hannah - one of the best ever.

My vote for GOAT would be Derrick Thomas. Never seen one better personally.

Proud graduate of Woodlawn High so Harry Gilmer and Tony Nathan have been drilled into the brain. :biggrin:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
John Hannah or this year's left guard. Our current left tackle may pass both of them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The positions on a football team have such different duties its really hard to say if the quarterback or linebacker is a better player.

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
Harry Gilmer.Invented the jump pass.Ive got him on the top bracket.Derrick Thomas is the most dominate player of my lifetime.Ive got him vs Harry in 1 semi final.Ill take John Hannah on the top right and Julio Jones with all due respect to Mr. Hudson on the bottom right.So my final 4 are Gilmer vs Thomas and Hannah vs Julio Jones.

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Any time something like this comes up I always answer Don Hutson. He is undoubtedly the greatest player to don the crimson and white, no pun intended. He changed the way football is played, a man far before his time, and far behind the defense.
Because none of the fans were able to see him, he'll probably get fewer votes than the more recent players.
Dwight Stevenson would be too small now to be effective.
No linebacker made more tackles per game than Leroy Jordan, but few saw him play and the number gets smaller each year.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
You know you're the greatest college football team when you have a hard time, very hard time figuring out who's the greatest.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.