News Article: BJ Scott, former Bama player, added to Senior Bowl roster

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
I cheer for the greatest college football team in history. Why wouldn't I resent football welfare messing up college football?

Do you think it's coincidence that once Nick Saban showed up at Alabama, after all these years South Alabama suddenly wanted a football team? Perhaps I'm not the one that is resentful...
Nick Saban has absolutely nothing to do with the football program at South Alabama. The Board of Trustees at South Alabama approved the addition of a football program in 2007.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Nick Saban has absolutely nothing to do with the football program at South Alabama. The Board of Trustees at South Alabama approved the addition of a football program in 2007.
On January 3, 2007, following a meeting with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, Saban announced that he had accepted an offer to become Alabama's 27th head coach.
On December 6, 2007, the university's (South Alabama) Board of Trustees approved the addition of football to the intercollegiate athletics program.

They existed since 1963 without a football team, but within months of Nick Saban going to Alabama (and the ensuing enthusiasm) they had a football team.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Good for BJ, but do I have to be the one to say it?

The Senior Bowl has been trying to work in Jaguar players since the football team started. It's sad and pathetic really, and I remember seeing their cheerleaders at the Senior Bowl and getting grossed out...

2010 - 0 players
2011 - 1 player (late replacement for injured player)
2012 - 0 players
2013 - 2 players (late replacements for injured players)

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
On January 3, 2007, following a meeting with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, Saban announced that he had accepted an offer to become Alabama's 27th head coach.
On December 6, 2007, the university's (South Alabama) Board of Trustees approved the addition of football to the intercollegiate athletics program.

They existed since 1963 without a football team, but within months of Nick Saban going to Alabama (and the ensuing enthusiasm) they had a football team.
So you think they just decided all of a sudden on December 6, 2007 that they would start a football program? They didn't make the decision the night before.

...and btw, Nick Saban had a 6-6 career record at Alabama as of December 6, 2007 so I'm not sure that I understand your logic.

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Also, I have no problem with you not wanting a football program at South Alabama. I've never actually watched or been to a game myself, but I can assure you that the Senior Bowl is not trying to build up the football program at South Alabama or any of the smaller football programs in this state. Putting together those rosters is not that easy, especially when you have to account for last minute injuries.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So you think they just decided all of a sudden on December 6, 2007 that they would start a football program? They didn't make the decision the night before.

...and btw, Nick Saban had a 6-6 career record at Alabama as of December 6, 2007 so I'm not sure that I understand your logic.
They made the decision that day, I'm pretty sure that was the point of the meeting. I live in Mobile, and didn't hear a word about a South Alabama football until Nick Saban showed up and set the spring game attendance record, and was on his way to a #1 recruiting class.

As to the Senior Bowl roster, may be I get their cheerleaders and their players confused. It's not easy always easy to find Senior Bowl info (I have a few jerseys and jackets) so I'll just concede that point to you. I thought I saw one (not that he did anything) last year, but shows you how much I follow them...

Edit: I got out my 2011 program and they had the South Alabama mascot, cheerleaders, marching band, and a player from South Alabama in the game. They also had a Joey Jones interview in the program. If I wanted to see that crap, I would have gone to one of their games. The whole thing struck me as overkill, especially considering I've never seen Big Al, the million dollar band, or Alabama cheerleaders there (they brought in the Philadelphia cheerleaders before, not that I minded). May be it just skewed my perspective and recollection, because that year was most certainly a South Alabama love fest.

I'm glad BJ is in the Senior Bowl, I'm just tired of people trying to force South Alabama down my throat. I was given South Alabama tickets, and I couldn't even give them away...

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
South Alabama is as much of nuisance to Alabama as UAB. I wouldn't worry much about what their motivations were and I'm sure they weren't guided towards derailing the Saban recruiting machine. I think they've been wanting to get a football program for a while because it helps with recruiting students to the school...trying to make it less of a commuter campus feel I guess.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
They made the decision that day, I'm pretty sure that was the point of the meeting. I live in Mobile, and didn't hear a word about a South Alabama football until Nick Saban showed up and set the spring game attendance record, and was on his way to a #1 recruiting class.

As to the Senior Bowl roster, may be I get their cheerleaders and their players confused. It's not easy always easy to find Senior Bowl info (I have a few jerseys and jackets) so I'll just concede that point to you. I thought I saw one (not that he did anything) last year, but shows you how much I follow them...
Right, that was the day it was approved and announced, but it had been in the works for some time. I don't remember the exact timeframe, but the ball was rolling before CNS ever coached a football game at Alabama.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
South Alabama is as much of nuisance to Alabama as UAB. I wouldn't worry much about what their motivations were and I'm sure they weren't guided towards derailing the Saban recruiting machine. I think they've been wanting to get a football program for a while because it helps with recruiting students to the school...trying to make it less of a commuter campus feel I guess.
I think that had a lot to do with it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think they've been wanting to get a football program for a while because it helps with recruiting students to the school...trying to make it less of a commuter campus feel I guess.
It came up for a vote before, and was voted down.

They waste something like ten million dollars each year, now probably more, on their athletic program. I don't care what they want, they are wasting my money.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

Edit: I got out my 2011 program and they had the South Alabama mascot, cheerleaders, marching band, and a player from South Alabama in the game. They also had a Joey Jones interview in the program. The whole thing struck me as overkill, especially considering I've never seen Big Al, the million dollar band, or Alabama cheerleaders there (they brought in the Philadelphia cheerleaders before, not that I minded). Ma be it just skewed my perspective and recollection, because that year was most certainly a South Alabama love fest.
They've had the Million Dollar Band there in the past, as well as the Atlanta cheerleaders, New Orleans cheerleaders, and the Washington Redskins cheerleaders. They've also had the Auburn band before and either Grambling or Southern University. I have no idea how those decisions are made, but I would be in favor of not having Auburn's band back.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Glad to hear he will get to play at least one more game. Why was he added so late? Did a player get removed and open a spot? or did he petition to play in the game late?
They've had the Million Dollar Band there in the past, as well as the Atlanta cheerleaders, New Orleans cheerleaders, and the Washington Redskins cheerleaders. They've also had the Auburn band before and either Grambling or Southern University. I have no idea how those decisions are made, but I would be in favor of not having Auburn's band back.
You left off the Kilgore Rangerettes.

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
It came up for a vote before, and was voted down.

They waste something like ten million dollars each year, now probably more, on their athletic program. I don't care what they want, they are wasting my money.
Now I see what the problem is. :biggrin2:

...and like I said before, I've never seen South Alabama play a football game and couldn't name three players on the team, but I do know that the Senior Bowl is not trying to prop up their football program. They are trying to get the best players and the ones that NFL coaches and scouts want to see. When they need late replacements they usually go for local players because they are more readily available. I can remember years when players from Alabama and Auburn filled in at the last minute simply because they lived in Mobile County or Baldwin County.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
How 'bout these ladies, huh?

There are no former marines, i.e., "Once a marine, always a marine!"

The same is true for the Kilgore Rangerettes, Kilgore Community (was Junior) College, Kilgore, Texas. Many of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are Rangerettes, too.

All the ladies below danced in the Senior Bowl as Rangerettes.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Now I see what the problem is. :biggrin2:

...and like I said before, I've never seen South Alabama play a football game and couldn't name three players on the team, but I do know that the Senior Bowl is not trying to prop up their football program. They are trying to get the best players and the ones that NFL coaches and scouts want to see. When they need late replacements they usually go for local players because they are more readily available. I can remember years when players from Alabama and Auburn filled in at the last minute simply because they lived in Mobile County or Baldwin County.
I can't really go into detail because last time I did the thread got shut down. But yeah, I live in the city of Mobile and they raised the sales tax, but they give South Alabama rent free accommodations.

Obviously my recollection isn't perfect, but my enduring Senior Bowl moment (as it pertains to this discussion) was of South Alabama's marching band, token player, mascot, and yes a fat South Alabama cheerleader. I'm going to the game, so hopefully that won't be the case this time around, but I didn't go before to see South Alabama, especially that much South Alabama.

I should say something defending South Alabama so I can get a banjeaux to like one of my posts (or is he just liking anyone that's not in agreement with me? :frown:) but at least we got some pictures of the Rangerettes, what ever those are.

So yeah, good luck to BJ and hopefully he's the only South Alabama related anything I see at the game.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.