ELY to South Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: ELY to South Florida

The Greg McElroy Mold: 222-313, 2993 yards. 71%. 20 TDs, 5 interceptions, QB rating of 169.
We'd take that every year.

The AJ Mold: 211-314, 2933 yards, 67%, 30 TDs, 3 interceptions, QB rating of 175.3.
We'd take that every year, too.

The only significant difference is the number of touchdowns. Is that because of AJ's superior gifts or his superior talent at receiver? At its core, the offense remains the same. Greg saw the field better than AJ; AJ is more accurate on the longer throws.

Regardless, if any of our young quarterbacks sniffs the performance of either of them, we should be ecstatic.
I think the big difference between them is AJ's quick release and level of confidence we haven't seen since Joe Namath.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

If he transfers I wish him well. In general terms, I would imagine players who transfer from Bama after going through Bama's process are considered easy to coach. Especially when they transfer because of a lack of playing time rather than a discipline issue.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006

It's in MY best interest he and Morris handle the "full play book" backup duties this year so the younguns can red-shirt.
(so much for me)

CrimsonTide13

Suspended
Aug 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
ELY to South Florida

I think the big difference between them is AJ's quick release and level of confidence we haven't seen since Joe Namath.
G Mac is/was a very confident QB and man. In fact, I think G Mac is actually a little more mature while AJ is a tad more goofy. I love them both, but to say AJ is more confident is not a fair assessment.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006

G-Mac was groomed for a career in Public Relations while AJ is destined for a career as AJ.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The Greg McElroy Mold: 222-313, 2987 yards. 71%. 20 TDs, 5 interceptions, QB rating of 169.
We'd take that every year.

The AJ Mold: 211-314, 2933 yards, 67%, 30 TDs, 3 interceptions, QB rating of 175.3.
We'd take that every year, too.

The only significant difference is the number of touchdowns. Is that because of AJ's superior gifts or his superior talent at receiver? At its core, the offense remains the same. Greg saw the field better than AJ; AJ is more accurate on the longer throws.

Regardless, if any of our young quarterbacks sniffs the performance of either of them, we should be ecstatic.
We didn't have a 1000 yard rusher in 2010. In fact I'd argue the play-calling and McElroy's ability were a factor in keeping the run game hampered. We couldn't consistently stretch teams vertically and our dinged up backs were as good at making guys miss at the LOS.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

We didn't have a 1000 yard rusher in 2010. In fact I'd argue the play-calling and McElroy's ability were a factor in keeping the run game hampered. We couldn't consistently stretch teams vertically and our dinged up backs were as good at making guys miss at the LOS.
Interesting point. Our rushing fell off by more than 600 yards in 2010, regained half of it in 2011 and climbed back over 3K this past season. That, to me, says more about an improving offensive line (we had trouble running against all our major opponents in 2010) than it does about QB play.

Link

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Friends of mine who attended practice were disappointed in the number of times Greg passed up open deep receivers and took the dump-off. I don't think anyone would try to claim that Greg's arm is as strong as AJ's. It was just that Greg knew what he should and should not attempt. In somewhat disagreement with one statement somewhere above, I think AJ's field vision last season didn't approach Greg's, but I think that, by the end of this season, AJ's field vision and awareness at least equaled Greg's...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Sooooo . . . Is the Ely transfer a rumor? If so, will someone please fix the thread title to reflect rumor/possiblilty status?

Please.
One problem is that a lot of mainstream sports media outlets are reporting it, and we know how they nailed the dead GF story... :rolleye2:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Friends of mine who attended practice were disappointed in the number of times Greg passed up open deep receivers and took the dump-off. I don't think anyone would try to claim that Greg's arm is as strong as AJ's. It was just that Greg knew what he should and should not attempt. In somewhat disagreement with one statement somewhere above, I think AJ's field vision last season didn't approach Greg's, but I think that, by the end of this season, AJ's field vision and awareness at least equaled Greg's...
Earle, not an expert opinion, but I agree that AJ's vision is improving. Wouldn't rank it with Greg's yet, but that cuts both ways. Mac took a bunch of sacks because he was checking down behind a developing line. AJ, with a far better line in front of him, remains far more likely to chuck the ball over the bench.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

G Mac is/was a very confident QB and man. In fact, I think G Mac is actually a little more mature while AJ is a tad more goofy. I love them both, but to say AJ is more confident is not a fair assessment.
Greg always had an issue with holding the ball too long. AJ gets it out quickly while not turning it over. He has confidence in his decision making and his arm. I was not at all referring in his confidence as a man btw.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN

McElwain's offensive philosophy was very safe. I think we saw the difference in approach with McCarron in the last two years. I really thought that McCarron was going to end up being a more physically gifted McElroy after the 2011 season. A lot of it was because he didn't get a chance to demonstrate the extent of his arm talent. When the offense is mostly hitch routes, crossing patterns, screens, and the occasional deep post/corner route...you're not going to look special. Efficient, yes, but not special.

We did a much better job of attacking with slants and McCarron showed he could put it in the window to his receiver. We attacked the 20+ area much better which showed McCarron has the arm to burn teams. We threw a bit more in the red zone to loosen defenses and get the easy scores to be had down there. He's developed with experience but with McElwain he'd probably be having another season like 2009-2011 at the QB position. 15-20 TDs, 2500 yards, and more FGs in scoring range.
This has nothing to do with CMac and CNuss' differences. CNS philosophy is to grind is out. Wear the D down and take the explosive play when it is there. Both OC's did that. The difference is the tools in the tollbox were different.

Two years ago we had a new starting qb with #3 at RB. (people seem to forget the AJ's separated shoulder in the ARK game as well). They threw the ball much more in the BCS NCG.

This year, we have an experienced qb with some banged up RBs much of the year, plus, probably a better WR group.

All in all, every year the offense is very balanced. We will pound the ball. Whoever the OC is will use the tools in the toolbox to maximize pts and inflict as much damage on the defense as possible. But it is all about the personnel that given year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Don't have the slightest clue as to what the kid is thinking or what he intends to do, but in any event it's clear that he will never play in Tuscaloosa. McCarron still has a year left, Sims has two, he has already been passed over by Morris, and we've got three more quarterbacks on the way in this recruiting class. He seems like a fine young man, but that is no recipe for playing time.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006

What if long term he's wanting to be a coach rather than an NFL third stringer?
A few championship rings, one year GA under Nuss/CNS, then a year's paid employment in the athletic department as an off-the-field assistant would be a great resume for starters.

I could see that.

TheProcess

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2007
Cottondale, AL

What if long term he's wanting to be a coach rather than an NFL third stringer?
Interesting.

That would certainly be a great way to go about it if he does indeed have coaching aspirations. And that's really the only logical reason I can think of for him to stay.

You know, I love to see our players move on to excel in the NFL, but it would be just as great to see some of them rise to successful coaching careers.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He's entering his RS Sophomore year. He may very well want to stay to get a degree. Don't see how he could be that far away from an undergrad degree.

If his parents can afford tuition, he could be off scholarship, which wouldn't even matter in the 85 limit discussion.

If he does decide to transfer, I hope he does so sooner rather than later. Phillip Simms made the mistake of waiting until after Spring practice to leave, and he had to battle for the starting job for awhile. For Ely's sake, a transfer needs to happen soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.