Is A&M in 2013 the Arky of 2012?

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Lets hope they coronate Texas A&M preseason number 1. I recommend we aid in the hype. It will be to Bama's advantage going into College Station in September for Texas A&M to be ranked number 1. They have never had to play with that pressure before.

Manziel is a very good passer and he will always have advantages when passing because you have to rush at least 5 to contain him. Coach Saban has already said not rushing 5 was a mistake last season. Development of the Alabama secondary will be very important for this game. I like Saban having a week off to prepare for this meeting

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
My answer would be no. Two completely different situations. Arky was set back primarily by off-the-field issues. That will not happen at AM.

I think the preseason expectations may prove to be a little excessive, but I still think the Aggies have a great year and a 9-10 win season is very attainable with that schedule.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Alabama usually starts their seasons strong. They dominate any good teams they see in September. I guess fatigue starts getting to the players but it is probably the fact Saban can use camp to get some prep for future opponents and the concepts are still fresh.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This year TAMU was a combination of over-achieving talent and a great Quarterback.
It certainly helped that every bounce of the ball seemed to go toward Johnny Football.
We did our part leading up till we played TAMU. We had a squeaker the week before, we were
heavily favored ect. I appears to me we went in overconfident and our guys took TAMU lightly.
We found out we weren't good enough to spot them 21 points before we got going...
Our fault. We will not take TAMU for granted next year.

Arkansas was predicted to do great things. Arkansas had an experienced QB, an allegedly good Defense, and a great Offensive mind for a head coach. HOWEVER...
Things fell apart in the 'Pig Pen'...
CBP was running fast and loose with a young girl he hired. When Petrino laid down his hog
he also pretty much wrecked Arkansas great expectations. Petrino was fired and Arkansas chose to go with someone woefully un-prepared to lead the 'Hogs'.
The result was predictable.
The Arkansas's QB underperformed, the Arkansas Defense proved it was 'Alleged'.
The Arkansas season was over before it really started.
Arkansas was saved from being the butt of all jokes by Auburn,
who really stunk up the place.

PRO:
TAMU isn't Arkansas. TAMU has a good coach, great QB, and pretty good Defense.
TAMU is likely to be better than Arkansas was, for those reasons.
CON:
TAMU lost enough off of this years team that some people will have to step up.
No one will take TAMU for granted next year.
Lastly... Some of the weird bounces of the football may not come directly back to JM next year.

I'm reasonably certain that Coach Saban doesn't intend to spot TAMU 21 points before we start playing next year...
The second game of the 2013 season will go a long way in determining who will lead the Western Division of the SEC.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Definitely not trying to be a homer, but I can see how two games to tune up could be an advantage. Can't you? I just think some people make too much of an open date, particularly one that early in the season. Later in the season, yes, an open dates is important for healing etc.
It's just one little advantage more for Saban. His record on rematches against teams which have beaten him is, well, pretty good, if you look at the numbers...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
We're not just shooting from the hip here. Some of us know by experience just how much loosing a guy here and there can make such a vast difference. Look at Bama in 10. Look at UGA in 08. I'm looking forward to seeing if CNS can solve the Manziel enigma. Based on past results I've got faith he will just like the Aggies have faith in gene pools and dinner tables. ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We're not just shooting from the hip here. Some of us know by experience just how much loosing a guy here and there can make such a vast difference. Look at Bama in 10. Look at UGA in 08. I'm looking forward to seeing if CNS can solve the Manziel enigma. Based on past results I've got faith he will just like the Aggies have faith in gene pools and dinner tables. ;)
I think it comes down to how well each do in rebuilding the OL and the DL. Plus, we have the advantage of CNS and his scheming. That's an advantage our A&M friends don't want to concede (nor would I, in their place), but it's historical fact. It's very, very hard to beat him twice in a row...

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
They won't fall to the depths of the Razorbacks, but they may be next years USCw...you know, a lot of hype, but no follow through.
That's the problem with a team with no defense, if, for whatever reason, i.e. the other teams defense or they just have a bad day (hey, it happens), JM and co. don't score at least 28, they have nothing to fall back on and their chances of winning go way down. Looking at their schedule, I see seven wins, two losses (Bama and LSU) and three they may be favored in, but better be careful. The trips to Fayetteville and Oxford may pose some problems, and they better watch out for Vandy. I'm predicting 9-3 and 3rd or 4th in the west.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
Reading this thread reminds me of why I love this board. A chance to have an intelligent discussion of Bama football this time of year is great. On to the question:

I doubt aTm will see anything like last year's Arky implosion. They are basically a good team that added Johnny Football, the phenom of 2012. This year, they have some gaps to fill, and some hype to deal with, but that is offset by what looks like an easy schedule. Their biggest obstacle this year is the bullseye on their chest. They will get their opponents' best game - something we are familiar with. I also doubt they will get as many lucky breaks two years in a row. Finally, everyone aTm plays will do their utmost to figure out, then contain, then shut down, their quarterback. Last year, he came out of nowhere. There is a lot of film of him out there now for people to study.

Frankly, I don't care if they go 11-1, as long as they lose to Bama. Having them early in the season is an advantage for us, IMO. Early on, we have fewer accumulated injuries! Having the bye week for CNS to do extra game planning can't hurt. It's an away game, but last year, our team did some of its best work away from Tuscaloosa. I think if the team plays to its potential, we win.

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Hmm... So y'all are saying that Saban was taken by surprise by Johnny last year. That he didn't have the 9 game films including Fl and LSU who contained him in the 2nd half of their games.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
A&M loses three next year including a loss to Ole Miss....at Oxford.....

A&M fans are quickly starting to annoy ....

I'd say it's a 50/50 shot he makes it through the season healthy, not in jail, or kicked off the team..... He is Honey Badger reincarnated..... And we will beat them by three touchdowns in College Station

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Hmm... So y'all are saying that Saban was taken by surprise by Johnny last year. That he didn't have the 9 game films including Fl and LSU who contained him in the 2nd half of their games.
But now he has one game film vs us......big difference.....

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I'm saying Coach Saban and the Alabama football team is human just like everybody else
Everybody had to adjust to game-speed in the first half against them and we were no different. JohnnyBoy relied on the creative "sandlot" extended play mixed with luck to win against us and a couple more.
Expect more of the same next year with the SEC defenses having a little bit better book on him/Summerlin.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Not surprise, but certainly at the worst time they could have played. Lets talk after y'all's Sat. night game in Death Valley next year. Read all our posts from before the A&M game. A lot were worried and rightly so. Basically, Bama played a bad quarter and didnt adjust in time. When they did Mr. Universe was held in check by Bama too. Should have even won the game but didnt. CNS rarely gets to circle games but I guarantee this one is. He also loves a challenge. Stopping JM is certainly that. Recent history favors Saban by a mile.

Last edited:
A&M loses three next year including a loss to Ole Miss....at Oxford.....

A&M fans are quickly starting to annoy ....

I'd say it's a 50/50 shot he makes it through the season healthy, not in jail, or kicked off the team..... He is Honey Badger reincarnated..... And we will beat them by three touchdowns in College Station
Yes they are. They aren't as good as they think they are. They escaped Tuscaloosa, they didn't win going away. He it not been for a lapse in judgement we would have won that one too. That was one of the worst games played or coached I have seen us play under Saban and we barely lost.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Atm beating us last yr has only added to the dose of "welcome to the sec" that they will receive next yr. Johnny is going to miss his off tackles.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Some people here are wearing WAY too Crimson of glasses..

We are losing more, yet we seem to think we're fine. I don't see replacing two linemen being an overly large problem...

Matthews is a STUD. He comes from great pedigree (Bruce Matthews), and shouldn't have problems transitioning. Barrett did it TWICE, and as good as he is OVERALL he probably isn't physically as gifted as Matthews.

The aTm Offense will be just fine...the only concern I see is how their defense gels. Replacing Damontre Moore will be tough, but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

This aTm isn't in the same realm as Arkansas... Even before the Patrino was gone, people started to see the writing on the wall. That team wasn't built to be a top 10, 20, or anything kinda team. They had lost their top five receivers, the top rusher off oc ACL surgery, and a defense that was AWFUL the previous year...
two words about "he is from a great pedigree and shouldn't have any problems...".....Duron Carter

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.