Link: SI article implies that Bama football players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Wall Street Journal reports that Notre Dame players have for years been involved in performance enhancing rituals. Ever since 1920, the Notre Dame football teams have attended a Mass before each game. Each player also receives "a priest-blessed medal devoted to a Catholic saint and is given the opportunity to kiss a shrine containing two slivers Notre Dame believes came from Jesus' cross." All of this for free, which should be an NCAA violation. There is video to back this up. Unfortunately, all of this cannot overcome deer antler spray or a heart-broke linebacker who has found out his girlfriend is really a guy.
Anyone wanting a real laugh needs to go to their rival site and read the long thread where they're rejoicing over being awarded the NC after it's stripped from Bama. They have the link to the SI article, but they can't read well enough to see that it's the 2012 game in NOLA that's being talked about. 2013 hasn't even come up...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
The Wall Street Journal reports that Notre Dame players have for years been involved in performance enhancing rituals. Ever since 1920, the Notre Dame football teams have attended a Mass before each game. Each player also receives "a priest-blessed medal devoted to a Catholic saint and is given the opportunity to kiss a shrine containing two slivers Notre Dame believes came from Lennay Kekua."
Things just keep getting weirder and weirder in the Te'o Saga!

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Remember that they even have the wrong year, anyway. They're thinking all this happened this January...
Give em some slack Earle...

When your star player thinks he is dating a hot girl, when in reality its a fat dude...

Can you really expect their fan base to know what year it is!!??:wink:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Furthermore, titles are vacated not awarded to the loser.
Forget that part. Just imagine what they say when they discuss "winning" this title.

ND fan: "Yeah, we got that BCS Championship from the 2012 season."
Non-ND fan: "Who did you play? What was the score?"
ND fan: "Alabama. They won 42-14."

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Forget that part. Just imagine what they say when they discuss "winning" this title.

ND fan: "Yeah, we got that BCS Championship from the 2012 season."
Non-ND fan: "Who did you play? What was the score?"
ND fan: "Alabama. They won 42-14. But they were all doped up on superhuman deer antlers and stuff!!!"
Non-ND fan: "Ok man, well it was nice talking to you" <takes off in a sprint>
Added something for ya...

JunctionBoy

Scout Team
May 8, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
The main reason why I find it impossible for the NCAA to do anything like vacate wins/championships is because it sets a dangerous precedent.

Unless the athletic department is negligent, you just can't punish an entire team for the actions of a few trying to seek an advantage behind everyone's back. The dangerous precedent that would be set is that basically any time a player tests positive for PED's, that school would have to forfeit everything. And let me tell you, this happens everywhere. On a college roster of 100+, there is going to be at least 1 person trying to get a competitive advantage. You just will. That's human nature. Some people are going to cut corners and no matter what you do as an athletic department, you can't stop a rogue individual from doing what they want to get an advantage.

Anyway, that's why the NCAA wouldn't do anything in the way of team penalties. If the NCAA were to do anything, they'd allocate penalties on an individual basis.

JunctionBoy

Scout Team
May 8, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
You can never count on the NCAA being rational.
The difference here though is that the previous cases of the NCAA handing down sanctions involved negligence in the AD. Tressel knew what was going on at OSU, but didn't say anything. People knew what was going on at Big Red Auto in Norman, OK. People hid things from everybody at PSU. The list goes on.

Our AD was proactive and sent out multiple cease and desist letters to SWATS that they ignored dating back to 2009. Yet the bag of dicks still tried to get after our players. The Athletic Department did everything possible they could do. Like I said, they can't stop this from happening. Individuals will do what they are going to do if someone tells them they can get away with it.

Like I said, it sets a very dangerous precedent if you hammer an institution when they were proactive all along. They'd only hammer the individuals. Besides, they don't have any failed tests to go off anyway.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personally, I think if there is ax grinding here...it's a long-game plan:

Get Alabama's name mucked up in a non-factor, fake PED "scandal"

Hope the NCAA peers closer on the Tide who is obviously PEDing if they're beating God's team by 28 points!

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Personally, I think if there is ax grinding here...it's a long-game plan:

Get Alabama's name mucked up in a non-factor, fake PED "scandal"

Hope the NCAA peers closer on the Tide who is obviously PEDing if they're beating God's team by 28 points!

I personally dont see this as anything of that kind. Just a few players who listened to the wrong person(s), and the school responded with education and cease and desist orders (twice). The stories I've read also note that science doesnt support there bing any kind of performance enhancement from the products, and the sellers are painted as unreputable and sleazy. I dont see any conspiracy. Hopefully neither does the NCAA.

Last edited:

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
I just read the article you linked...what caught my attention was the final paragraph:

I'm surprised these guys were able to stay in business after that $5.4 million judgement went against them, if the story is accurate and I'm understanding it correctly.
IF there's any truth to this it's hard to see how this could stand. Testosterone, like HGH, is not absorbed orally whether he's 'spiked' his deer antlers or what.

SIAP.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't believe there is anything to it beyond Ray Lewis and the Crimson Tide being very topical at the moment. I fail to see how it is a story at all since none of his products offer any performance enhancing effect when held to the scientific method. I think it reflects poorly on Sports Illustrated to publish this nonsense. The thought process was: Ray Lewis is in the Super Bowl, Alabama won the BCSCG, and IGF-1 is a banned substance...must write for page clicks regardless of the fact oral application of IGF-1 has no enhancing effect short or long term.

This story does expose one issue - at least to me - because no matter how much control Saban has over the program, he is not omnipresent. He can't be everywhere at once nor have a proxy eye on his players at all times either. Guys like Ross could sabotage careers, not with his bunk products, but with his quid pro quo gifting of his phony products. Technically that is an illegal benefit and could become an issue if we see Alabama players representing his products down the line. I've heard this guy going back to around 2010 on Finebaum's radio show and he always struck me as shady. It was his consistent reminder of his "born-again" status, his insistence of great conspiracies to keep his products from being accepted, and a generally deceptive use of an athlete's name to represent his products. I thought he was a crook well before this and I had kind of forgotten about him.

Saban can educate guys but Ross can come in, have a young body builder look to him, spout off scientific facts he's created that would be hard for any intelligent person to know were untrue immediately, and provide fake testimonials of professionals who use his stuff while staying clean. He's a dangerous fellow...I would prefer he and his kind end up behind bars honestly.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IF there's any truth to this it's hard to see how this could stand. Testosterone, like HGH, is not absorbed orally whether he's 'spiked' his deer antlers or what.

SIAP.

Actually, that's not accurate. None of the GFs can be absorbed topically or orally, because they are sizable molecules - peptides with strings of amino acids. Testosterone, and its analogs, can easily be absorbed through the skin. In fact, when it's prescribed, that is the common mode of delivery - patches or gels. The judgment which was obtained against SWATS was because an athlete tested positive for high "T" after using their solution orally. I know this is a long thread, but I've treated this way above...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't believe there is anything to it beyond Ray Lewis and the Crimson Tide being very topical at the moment. I fail to see how it is a story at all since none of his products offer any performance enhancing effect when held to the scientific method. I think it reflects poorly on Sports Illustrated to publish this nonsense. The thought process was: Ray Lewis is in the Super Bowl, Alabama won the BCSCG, and IGF-1 is a banned substance...must write for page clicks regardless of the fact oral application of IGF-1 has no enhancing effect short or long term.

This story does expose one issue - at least to me - because no matter how much control Saban has over the program, he is not omnipresent. He can't be everywhere at once nor have a proxy eye on his players at all times either. Guys like Ross could sabotage careers, not with his bunk products, but with his quid pro quo gifting of his phony products. Technically that is an illegal benefit and could become an issue if we see Alabama players representing his products down the line. I've heard this guy going back to around 2010 on Finebaum's radio show and he always struck me as shady. It was his consistent reminder of his "born-again" status, his insistence of great conspiracies to keep his products from being accepted, and a generally deceptive use of an athlete's name to represent his products. I thought he was a crook well before this and I had kind of forgotten about him.
No it's not. A "benefit" has to have some benefit, which these useless products haven't. That's the prime reason, IMO, that the NCAA did their investigation and then dropped the matter. The sole concern I have is that our guys may have promised some future endorsement which can be proven by this creep, and did not tell the truth to the NCAA investigators...

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
layers used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Actually, that's not accurate. None of the GFs can be absorbed topically or orally, because they are sizable molecules - peptides with strings of amino acids. Testosterone, and its analogs, can easily be absorbed through the skin. In fact, when it's prescribed, that is the common mode of delivery - patches or gels. The judgment which was obtained against SWATS was because an athlete tested positive for high "T" after using their solution orally. I know this is a long thread, but I've treated this way above...
I said orally not topically. Testosterone is administered by patch or gel on the skin. Medically it is not given orally; it is not absorbed reliably if at all. If this idiot sprayed some deer antlers in his mouth then bad luck would have it that he tested positive. Maybe he had the stuff on his hands when he peed or whatever. Nevertheless he tested positive and wasn't getting any benefit from the junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.