How Many Bama National Titles In Your Lifetime?(And Pick Your Favorite)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
..Let's see who the elder statesman is around here :)

Personally...I've witnessed ten. 61-64-65-73-78-79-92-09-011 and 012.

That's one national title every 5.7 years of my life. Not a bad average!

My favorite would be 92. That was just a very special year.

65 was one of my favorites as well because we got totally screwed by a blown call in the Georgia game(18-17), Tied Tennessee when Stabler intentionally threw the ball out of bounds to kill the clock on fourth and goal thinking it was third down, and then two or three teams had to lose on New Years for us to have a prayer and they all did. Then we dominated a Nebraska team 39-28 in the Orange Bowl that outweighed us by 35 pounds or so per man. That was a very magical day.

You guys?

sip

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana

65 was one of my favorites as well because we got totally screwed by a blown call in the Georgia game(18-17), Tied Tennessee when Stabler intentionally threw the ball out of bounds to kill the clock on fourth and goal thinking it was third down, and then two or three teams had to lose on New Years for us to have a prayer and they all did. Then we dominated a Nebraska team 39-28 in the Orange Bowl that outweighed us by 35 pounds or so per man. That was a very magical day.

You guys? sip
Elder statesman? Reckon Earle has that locked up, sip. However, I qualify as an old geezers. BTW, excellent list. Well thought out and with evidence provided.

My favorite is 2009, however. With Coach Saban arrival in 2007, one of my top bucket list wishes was to see just one more national championship. I was confident that 2010 would be that year, if I made it. WOW! We got three more and fell short in 2010. I'll take it. Anymore will be just lagniappe.

Oh! Personally witnessed: add 1941. I remember it as if it were yesterday. And, while we're at it add 1945. If the Rose Bowl winner earned the championship in '25, '26, & '34, why not 1945. Polls be danged!

Last edited:

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
Well mine started in 1934, the year of my birth, but I will not stretch that by saying I WITNESSED them.
Best one was destroying LSWHO in 2011. Next would be destroying the golden dumbers this last year. :biggrin:

So that would be 12 total with 3 back-to-backs.
Won't call myself the elder statesman either.

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)

You guys?

sip
Ditto (although "witnessed" might not be accurate for 61, as I was just a toddler then.) I'm still quite chapped about the 66 team & notre dang. Should've been another. *sigh*

Back on point, I might lean toward either 79 or 92, as those are the only two NC teams I got to see in person. (Was in the Dome in Jan. 93; simply awesome!)

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Ten in my lifetime also. What a great probablem we Bama fans have...which National Championship is our favorite. Hard choice, but I have to pick 2009. Winning in the Rose Bowl over Texas was super. But there hasn't been a bad National Championship. I was in college in the mid/late seventies and probably took championships for granted then.

Note--My mother has been alive for all 15.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well mine started in 1934, the year of my birth, but I will not stretch that by saying I WITNESSED them.
Best one was destroying LSWHO in 2011. Next would be destroying the golden dumbers this last year. :biggrin:
"Witnessed" may have been the wrong word choice. I think I should have said "Have occurred and that I was aware of at the time".
I was six when Bama won the first one and didn't see a lot of it, but my Dad was a coach, a huge Bama fan, and had already taken me to Bama games, so I knew what football was and what a national title was. 1934 huh? That's pretty darn cool. :)

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
7 - 73, 78, 79, 92, 09, 11 and 12 . 79 or 92 would be tops for me . 79 was simply an absolute machine on both sides of the ball , but 92 was special because that was possibly the worst offensive unit to ever win a title .

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Ten in my lifetime also. What a great probablem we Bama fans have...which National Championship is our favorite. Hard choice, but I have to pick 2009. Winning in the Rose Bowl over Texas was super. But there hasn't been a bad National Championship. I was in college in the mid/late seventies and probably took championships for granted then.

Note--My mother has been alive for all 15.
Wow...Congrats to Mom!!! We should send her a Tidefans trophy :)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
7 - 73, 78, 79, 92, 09, 11 and 12 . 79 or 92 would be tops for me . 79 was simply an absolute machine on both sides of the ball , but 92 was special because that was possibly the worst offensive unit to ever win a title .
LCN 92 was WITHOUT QUESTION the worst offense to ever win one lol...
They weren't bad mind you, but they darn sure weren't good.
But that defense........my goodness...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Nine - from '64 on. My favorite was '92. Me, my brother, my dad and my grandfather watched it together, and we ran around and whooped and hollered so much that I was wringing wet with sweat. Last one my grandfather was around for - very special night.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Nine - from '64 on. My favorite was '92. Me, my brother, my dad and my grandfather watched it together, and we ran around and whooped and hollered so much that I was wringing wet with sweat. Last one my grandfather was around for - very special night.
It was the last game me and my Dad attended as well Tidehawk. We walked arm in arm from the SuperDome with the crowd chanting "Rooolll Tide" and Dad, a very soft spoken man, smiled and looked at me and said.."Sounds pretty good doesn't it?"

I put my arm around his shoulder, squeezed and replied, "You damn right it does"...

Unforgettable night.

sip

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
Been around for 10 of them. I was too young to remember '61. '92 was my favorite because of all the mouthing off by Miami. Also the last one I watched with my grandfather, he died in April of '93. I'll also remember it for coming down with food poisoning after the first quarter. I spent the next two hours in the bathroom, at halftime my mom asked my wife, "Is Mike Sick?" Never to be forgotten.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011

You guys?

sip
Mine are the same except I don't hesitate to throw in '66. Actually didn't we get the Football Writer's that year, just not the wire service polls? I may be wrong about that but we were the best anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
1945 was was earned on the Rose Bowl gridiron

Oh! Personally witnessed: add 1941. I remember it as if it were yesterday. And, while we're at it add 1945. If the Rose Bowl winner earned the championship in '25, '26, & '34, why not 1945. Polls be danged!

Harry Gilmer starred in the game. This video features Gilmer. However, it is not from the Rose Bowl. But, the next one is from the 1946 Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
At the age of 4 I witnessed Alabama win the 1961 NC. My mother tells everyone how I shutdown when my Dad and my Uncle did not take me with them. I refused to eat, I refused to do anything according to my Mother. As my Dad returned my Mother told my father he would take me to the game next time that she would not put up with how upset I was during that period in my life. I was only 4 and caused a stir in my parents life. I remember but not to the extent my Mother does. I must have been a handful. As the years went on I witnessed 64, 65, (66 Robbed), 73, (75,77 Robbed) 78, 79, 92, 09, 11, and 12. In my life time I have witnessed 10 Alabama National Champions and as I tell everyone "No Man or Woman should have this much Happiness and Pleasure in Life".

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

You guys?

sip
I have eleven, but only because of 1941... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.