News Article: Vanderbilt’s James Franklin calls Saban “Nicky Satan”

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I don't think anyone is suggesting he should feel otherwise, but the oft-overused term of 'class' comes into play here. I guess I'm old-school, but I'd be mortified if CNS stooped to name-calling of other coaches. I expect more from a representative of my university.
I'ma request a ruling from Barrett Jones. :cool:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't have a problem with him taking a jab. No big deal. My issue is how weak the jab was. Spurrier needs to give him a few lessons.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He called CNS and apologized. Link

“Obviously, tremendous respect for Coach Saban,” Franklin said. “I just got off the phone with him. Tremendous respect for them. I’ve got tremendous respect for what they’ve done. Everybody is chasing them. The guy has won three or four national championships.

“(I was) really talking about the work ethic that he has a reputation for, and that we’re going to outwork them. I made a joke. And in today’s society with all the media and social media and people with tape recorders and things like that, that doesn’t come off that way. I know people have tremendous pride in Alabama, and their fans are fanatical. So I understand. But it was a joke and I didn’t mean to offend anybody.”

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
He called CNS and apologized. Link
The real joke: 'outwork them'. Outwork CNS? In what universe?

'3 or 4 NCs'. Study up dude. Everybody knows 'Nicky' has four of them with more on the way.

Using the word satan is a pretty poor attempt at a joke no matter who the person or how similar the name sounds. An 'F' for disheveling also.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We once had a coach who called our main rival as a "Cow College". So I'm not getting too upset about this.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the main issue (with me at least) has nothing to do with it from an Alabama standpoint. But from a Vanderbilt standpoint. This cat needs to realize he's considered a professional. He gets paid like one. The people paying him are professionals as well. He is representing more than just himself or even his football team. He is representing a university. A well respected academic university at that. I don't think they want this type of image being conveyed. There are ways to joke and this wasn't one of the better choices to pick from.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Crazy a guy who coaches for a school that isn't even in the SEC would even be discussing Alabama and Coach Saban.

Oh what's that...

Vanderbilt is in the SEC East???

You have got to be kiddin' me!!

When did that happen...

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Who cares what he called him? All those that are calling him immature for name calling, I hope that none of you have ever once typed or said any of the following:

Cheez dip
Cheez whiz
Cheez it
Lame Kitten
Lame Kiffikens
Urban Cryer

well...you get my point. He's just having some fun at the expense of a rival school just like the rest of us do at some point. It's just seen in a different light because it's about us.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
This cat needs to realize he's considered a professional. He gets paid like one.
For Franklin, though, his personality is partly responsible for him being where he is. It is part of why Vanderbilt hired him. It is why he was HCIW at Maryland. So, that part of Franklin's personality has been reinforced by his employers.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
James Franklin needs to take stock of himself if he thinks he was being witty.

He was extremely disrespectful no matter what he said in his apology. He was also immature and CLASSLESS!

If you have a problem with calling him classless, just ask yourself if you could ever see Coach Saban doing something like that. You won't, and that my friends is the difference between those with CLASS and those that don't.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Who cares what he called him? All those that are calling him immature for name calling, I hope that none of you have ever once typed or said any of the following:

Cheez dip
Cheez whiz
Cheez it
Lame Kitten
Lame Kiffikens
Urban Cryer

well...you get my point. He's just having some fun at the expense of a rival school just like the rest of us do at some point. It's just seen in a different light because it's about us.
I will be as disrespectful and rude as board policy will allow me too while under the anonymity of the internet!

But when I stand in front of my peers and the cameras I will call people by name and give thanks to Allah!

You got some nerve fella calling us out! I shall be a hypocrite and I shall love it! :wink:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006

Cheez dip
Cheez whiz
Cheez it
Lame Kitten
Lame Kiffikens
Urban Cryer

It's seen in a different light because he's the head coach of a football program and making millions of dollars in front of millions of people for it. Not quite the same as using nicknames on a message board.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida

Cheez dip
Cheez whiz
Cheez it
Lame Kitten
Lame Kiffikens
Urban Cryer

How many of us referred to another coach as pure evil? You know, 'Satan.' Calling someone cheese, a kitten or a cry baby is a lot different than calling someone Satan. And we're talking about a coach saying this, not some random fan or even a player. A head coach of a football team talking trash as if he's a fan. When you're the head coach you should carry yourself much better than that. Had Nick Saban said something like this I'm pretty sure most Alabama fans, if not all, would be embarrassed.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I was criticized on here last year when I said Franklin was merely a more polished Trooper Taylor. I have never liked Franklin or Vanderbilt and never will. I hope the only games Vanderbilt wins are against auburn and ut. Out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.