Big XII wants title game even with just X teams

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I just don't get it...

First everyone complains about them not having a title game, now everyone complains because they want one but don't want the two extra members right now? That confuses me.. I think having ten teams, playing round robin schedules, and having a title game is the perfect fit for them... It will just keep knocking people out of contention... Sometimes I feel like people are looking for a reason to complain..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I wouldn't want them to get the special treatment. Every other conference had to play by the rules and now we're going to change them because the Big 12 never could get its act together and lost 4 of its best programs? (Well actually 3 minus Colorado).

No, they should have to add two more teams to get to the required number. I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the fact that every other conference had to do it by the rules in place and for the fact that the Big 12 brought this upon itself.
Exactly..Whether or not you agree with the NCAA rules..Just obey & play by the rules all D1 teams have to go by..Pretty simple..Add 2 more schools or don't have a Championship Game..

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I just don't get it...

First everyone complains about them not having a title game, now everyone complains because they want one but don't want the two extra members right now? That confuses me.. I think having ten teams, playing round robin schedules, and having a title game is the perfect fit for them... It will just keep knocking people out of contention... Sometimes I feel like people are looking for a reason to complain..
It's pretty simple. Follow the process everyone else had to. I actually don't care if they stay at 10 teams and don't have a title game.

And as for me personally, I have a lot of contempt for that league. Actually, a lot of contempt for Texas. Which is pretty much that league.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
As long as the SEC has a title game that we potentially have to play in and win to advance, I want every other league to have to do likewise; let's try to maintain some semblance of an even playing field. That's why ND should have to join a conference, but continue to refuse.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I just don't get it...

Maybe it's simple mathematics. Dividing the income from a championship game by 10 is certainly more favorable than dividing it by 12.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Why is the rule set at 12 teams, what makes 12 so special? I think a conference should be aloud to have championship game if they want it, regardless of the number of teams in the league. I'm not saying it makes much since to have a championship game if you, say, only have 8 teams in a conference. I'm just saying the conference should be able to decide, not the NCAA. Big 12 has 10 teams, I don't see the problem with them having a conference championship game. What makes 12 so magical in the NCAA's eyes?
I agree, but a rule is a rule is a rule....

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Let the Big XII schedule a conference championship game and play it. What is the NCAA going to do? Seems lately that teams and conferences that defy, rather than cooperate, come out okay.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I wouldn't want them to get the special treatment. Every other conference had to play by the rules and now we're going to change them because the Big 12 never could get its act together and lost 4 of its best programs? (Well actually 3 minus Colorado).

No, they should have to add two more teams to get to the required number. I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the fact that every other conference had to do it by the rules in place and for the fact that the Big 12 brought this upon itself.
So right, but Texas thinks they are above the rules for everyone else.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The NCAA shouldn't let the Big 12 have this game with only ten teams, and there is logic behind the requirement.

The 12 team conference basically means you can't all play each other, and it leaves certain things undetermined. The championship game, while not a perfect resolution, at least insures that the teams represented have played everyone in the conference. The Big 12 already plays round robin, so there is no point to this. The reason you don't let every single conference do this, even if they don't need to, is because you would basically be expanding the schedule by another game.

harleyspoon

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Rule should either be enforced or eliminated with all FBS conferences being treated like equals. Big12 wants to stay at 10 teams (because Texas says that's what they want) so that conference revenue per team is maximized. They want to play a round-robin schedule and then have a championship because they think this will help there cause in getting their best team (at that moment in time) into a MNC four-team playoff. They want the exposure to help them beat out a second SEC team in the four-team playoff...but don't want to have to dilute their revenue. Like everything else in the Big12: "some of us are special and shouldn't have to follow the rules...we want every advantage....and if exceptions have to be made for us...then what's the big deal?" If it works for the Big12, then it works for all conferences....so eliminate the rule, but don't just exempt one conference.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Conferences should be a max of 10 teams so that all teams play each other in the regular season. How else can you have a true conference champion in football? More than 10 is just about the money grab.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Two thumbs up. 6 or 8 (10) team conferences in the FCS every other team in a separate division. Play ever conference team and 3 non conference teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.