Big XII wants title game even with just X teams

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says the league likely will seek permission from the NCAA to hold a championship game even though it doesn't have the 12 members required under the current rules.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-12...R0ZXN0A0dyYW5kc2xhbV9Pbl9JbnRlcm5hbA--;_ylv=3

I doubt they'll ask my opinion, but I'd be opposed to this. They need to follow the same rules as everyone else.

I wonder how they'd do the divisions. West Virginia is out there on an island. Maybe throw them in with the Texas schools. But if they still did a nine game round robin schedule, it really wouldn't matter who was in what division.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Why is the rule set at 12 teams, what makes 12 so special? I think a conference should be aloud to have championship game if they want it, regardless of the number of teams in the league. I'm not saying it makes much since to have a championship game if you, say, only have 8 teams in a conference. I'm just saying the conference should be able to decide, not the NCAA. Big 12 has 10 teams, I don't see the problem with them having a conference championship game. What makes 12 so magical in the NCAA's eyes?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
There is nothing magical about 12...let them have a game.
Also, the SEC should be able to do away with divisions and have the two best teams play for the championship. That would solve a lot of the scheduling problems.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Why is the rule set at 12 teams, what makes 12 so special? I think a conference should be aloud to have championship game if they want it, regardless of the number of teams in the league. I'm not saying it makes much since to have a championship game if you, say, only have 8 teams in a conference. I'm just saying the conference should be able to decide, not the NCAA. Big 12 has 10 teams, I don't see the problem with them having a conference championship game. What makes 12 so magical in the NCAA's eyes?
Because a ten team league can play a round robin schedule. Which negates the need for a CG. Granted a 12 team league could also play a round robin schedule, but that ain't happening.

BTW, the rule was never intended for 1A. The NCAA almost had a meltdown when the SEC expanded to 12 teams and used the rule for a CG.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
From what I recall, the NCAA passed the rule so some Division II league could have a championship game, although I think they never actually played one. Roy Kramer heard about the rule and decided to expand and schedule the game.

The SWAC (an HBCU FCS league) only has ten members but has a championship game despite playing a full nine game schedule. To make it even odder, they do not even participate in the FCS playoffs.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
From what I recall, the NCAA passed the rule so some Division II league could have a championship game, although I think they never actually played one. Roy Kramer heard about the rule and decided to expand and schedule the game.

The SWAC (an HBCU FCS league) only has ten members but has a championship game despite playing a full nine game schedule. To make it even odder, they do not even participate in the FCS playoffs.
However, the SWAC plays an 11 game regular season. The CG would be allowed because it is a 12th game and not a 13th game. They could have a Championship weekend if they so chose. 5E vs 5W, 4E vs 4W, 3E vs 3W, 2E vs 2W, and then 1E vs 1W.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/standings/_/id/31/swac-conference

Last edited:

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
When did we start counting in Roman Numerals on here...:confused:

Excuse me while I brush up on my skillset.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
However, the SWAC plays an 11 game regular season. The CG would be allowed because it is a 12th game and not a 13th game. They could have a Championship weekend if they so chose. 5E vs 5W, 4E vs 4W, 3E vs 3W, 2E vs 2W, and then 1E vs 1W.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/standings/_/id/31/swac-conference
The SWAC plays 11 games because that is the limit for FCS schools. Though they do play 12 this year due to the extra week in the schedule. (FBS teams get two off weeks instead of just one).

The SWAC plays the game because it brings in more money than they would make by going to the playoffs. "Classic" games like this are a big money maker for HBCU programs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Simple logic: if you have ten teams and play the other nine, your championship is a GUARANTEED rematch - so much for every game counts.

A stupid idea in a league with a patent on stupid ideas.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Simple logic: if you have ten teams and play the other nine, your championship is a GUARANTEED rematch - so much for every game counts.

A stupid idea in a league with a patent on stupid ideas.
I don't mind the idea of a rematch.

It's unfair for teams like Notre Dame to make it to the BCSCG without playing a championship game. It's a GUARANTEED quality opponent in a league with a bunch of powder puffs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't mind the idea of a rematch.

It's unfair for teams like Notre Dame to make it to the BCSCG without playing a championship game. It's a GUARANTEED quality opponent in a league with a bunch of powder puffs.
So was it unfair for us in 2011?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What has been so great with the SECCG is that rematches are rare. There have been 21 title games and only seven rematches. And 3 of the last 5 have been de facto semi-final games, with the winner advancing to the title.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
So was it unfair for us in 2011?
Are you asking about the rematch or Bama advancing?

I didn't have any problem with a rematch.

A lot of people had trouble with a non-conference champion advancing. I didn't, but the difference is the SEC clearly had the two best teams. If the Big 12 never plays a championship game the conference champion has a decided advantage because of less wear and tear on the athletes.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wouldn't want them to get the special treatment. Every other conference had to play by the rules and now we're going to change them because the Big 12 never could get its act together and lost 4 of its best programs? (Well actually 3 minus Colorado).

No, they should have to add two more teams to get to the required number. I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the fact that every other conference had to do it by the rules in place and for the fact that the Big 12 brought this upon itself.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.