Auburn Announces the Trees Will Be Rolled One Last Time on April 20

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Maybe they could go with fake cell phone tower trees. At least they could make up for some of the lost revenues due to the drop in ticket sales.

You haven't read that, according to the self-generated numbers they turned into the WSJ, they are one of the most valuable franchises in college football, worth millions more than Bama, believe it or not... :rolleye2:

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
I've said all along they should use the wood from the trees to make furniture and other barn stuff to sell. I'm sure there are some boogs that would pay big $$$ for an authenic Toomer's Oak rocker with Aubie cushions.

ganu76

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 24, 2010
Spoken like a Moo guy. Auburn screwed the rivalry with Dye, Lowder, Housel and Fear the Thumb Tubs.
Yeah, because all of those are as bad as attacking a tradition. I mean, the whole thumb thing is less harmless than the rye grass they sowed.

Updyke poisoning the trees is along the same lines as one of those barners destroying our Bryant statue. I mean destroying, **never to be replaced**. (Don't give me any sob story about some duct tape and a jersey either.)

What surprises me is the number of Alabamians who condone what this retired TEXAS cop decided to do once he finally moved to our state.

He has ZERO idea what it's like to grow up with our rivalry or how we're raised from birth to pick sides. He's just some outsider who wants to be a part of something, so he decided that Alabama football was "important" to him.

The guy is a loon. A mental case. He tried to name his kid Ally Bama. Who wants to be associated with someone like that?

Guess it's the mature part in me coming out right now. You know, the part that knows how to act in public. The part that knows how to act when it matters.

Screw cheating Auburn. I love seeing them take their place with the rest of the bottom dwellers... but screw Updyke more.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
"Rolling the corner is a uniquely Auburn tradition, and whether we roll trees or other structures, the camaraderie and sense of togetherness is part of what makes Auburn a special place."

Anyone else sensing there's some kind of creepy obsession with toilets around that place?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, because all of those are as bad as attacking a tradition. I mean, the whole thumb thing is less harmless than the rye grass they sowed.

Updyke poisoning the trees is along the same lines as one of those barners destroying our Bryant statue. I mean destroying, **never to be replaced**. (Don't give me any sob story about some duct tape and a jersey either.)

What surprises me is the number of Alabamians who condone what this retired TEXAS cop decided to do once he finally moved to our state.

He has ZERO idea what it's like to grow up with our rivalry or how we're raised from birth to pick sides. He's just some outsider who wants to be a part of something, so he decided that Alabama football was "important" to him.

The guy is a loon. A mental case. He tried to name his kid Ally Bama. Who wants to be associated with someone like that?

Guess it's the mature part in me coming out right now. You know, the part that knows how to act in public. The part that knows how to act when it matters.

Screw cheating Auburn. I love seeing them take their place with the rest of the bottom dwellers... but screw Updyke more.
I haven't seen or heard the first Alabama fan condone what he did.

I don't condone it. I also don't shed a tear for a lunatic fan base that was slowly but surely killing the trees themselves.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Yesterday I visited 5 homes of Veterans that are in need of a few things like a roof that does not leak, a refrigerator that works, clean water, heat & a/c. We a putting together a plan & budget for next month to fix them.

So, this tree stuff really gets me. What has API done for the community?

We hear a lot about Alabama players stepping up. I would have a little more concern about the trees is it was not so self centered.

Do good & good things come back to you.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
That's what the rest of the entire nation thinks about Bama fans.

I for one *DO* hate that this transplant Texan named Updyke came into MY state and messed with OUR rivalry with Auburn.

He's just some lonely old man who wanted to be a part of something because daddy didn't put down the bottle long enough to spend time with him.

I can't understand why ANYONE would condone this outsider's involvement with OUR state's rivalry.

Roll Tide but screw Updyke.
FYI, Updyke is originally from Alabama who came back to HIS state after retirement. He is obviously certifiable, but HIS actions were HIS and not those of anyone on this site or any other Alabama fan. If you don't like criticism of auburn YOU are on the wrong site.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
They are an AG school, cant they transplant trees ?
Think that's what they're planning. I hope they choose a species more fitted to the climate than live oaks, which generally range well south of there. However, knowing them, they will replace with the same...
From the linked article:

To keep the tradition alive, the university and city will create structures at the College Street-Magnolia Avenue intersection that are suitable for rolling after the oaks are gone.
"Rolling the corner is a uniquely Auburn tradition, and whether we roll trees or other structures, the camaraderie and sense of togetherness is part of what makes Auburn a special place."

Anyone else sensing there's some kind of creepy obsession with toilets around that place?
My understanding is that they plan to erect a large toilet to replace the trees, it will have the added convenience that after they've rolled it, they can clean up with a simple flush.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.

Are you a regular visitor to Texags.com? As the A in your profile is a minimum 500 post guy on their site and here you claim to be a Bama fan with less than 100 posts here. Are you also WarAGle? Interesting you post on the thread there as well.
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2263925&forum_id=5
I visit texags but never post. Just find it interesting that you seldom post on Tidefans but you do on a A&M board.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Here's my view on the trees.

I'm sorry the trees are dying. Not sorry for the barners so much as for the environment. Updyke is an idiot.... Period but the trees were going to eventually die anyway due to the "tradition" process. I wasn't a part of the "Tiders for Toomers" and have no intention to participate in any event they may have again. I don't want the barners in T-town during our celebrations and/or events so they can continue their deranged tradition without me as they have always done in the past. I don't need them and they don't need me. Whatever they choose to do with the corner is of their own twisted imagination.

Carry on!

RTR!!!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
How many trees do you think they've killed with the rolling. Saw that you only get 11 toilet paper rolls out of a tree. Maybe they should come up with a better way to celebrate trees than by throwing their dead family members on them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.