Another Crimson Tider cast in bronze

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Link: NFL Man of the Year Trophy

My recall is that Steve Wright got lost on the Green Bay offensive line amongst Fuzzy Thurston, Forrest Gregg and Jerry Kramer - but seems not to have lost his attitude about Coach Bryant.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I got to know Steve while he was at Bama, and can't imagine a greater misfit for a program run by Coach Bryant. Steve was easy going but also a gifted athlete in a program that demanded dedication and unrelenting intensity. Just a bad fit all around.

Obviously the same fate dogged him in Green Bay and for the same reasons.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
The only ex-player I know of who ever had anything bad to say about Coach Bryant.

There was an ex-player from Kentucky, I wanna say Bob Gain, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he and Coach Bryant evidently didn't always see eye to eye and after college was drafted and sent to Korea during the Korean Conflict where one night he was involved in a particularly bloody battle that lasted all night long. After it was over, he penned a letter to Coach Bryant while still in his foxhole in which he told him that he loved him now for the same things he used to hate him for. I took that to mean that Coach Bryant had instilled in him something that had enabled him to withstand what he has just gone through and persevere.

That's pretty powerful stuff to me.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
The only ex-player I know of who ever had anything bad to say about Coach Bryant.

There was an ex-player from Kentucky, I wanna say Bob Gain, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he and Coach Bryant evidently didn't always see eye to eye and after college was drafted and sent to Korea during the Korean Conflict where one night he was involved in a particularly bloody battle that lasted all night long. After it was over, he penned a letter to Coach Bryant while still in his foxhole in which he told him that he loved him now for the same things he used to hate him for. I took that to mean that Coach Bryant had instilled in him something that had enabled him to withstand what he has just gone through and persevere.

TMac, you're right; that was Bob Gain. Read that story somewhere some years back. Agreed on its power.

bat123

All-American

If I remember right there's one or two from the Junction camp that were not impressed in a good way.
Although I never had the chance to meet him I've had nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Bryant all my life.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.