What's happened with Mike DuBose?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He was at Milsaps for a few years and did well and then became an assistant at Memphis in 2010-2011. The staff was fired after the 2011 season and his wiki article doesn't say what he's been doing since.

Ray Perkins is 71 and is the head coach at Jones County Junior College in Mississippi. They went 6-3 last year in his first season.

Bill Curry is 70 and retired after last season following three years as the first ever head coach at Georgia State. He went 10-23 in his tenure there.

Gene Stallings is 77 and enjoying retirement on his Texas ranch.

Dennis Franchione is 61 and just finished his second season at Texas State, where he has gone 10-24.

Mike Price is 66 and retired after last season following nine years at UTEP, where he went 48-61.

Mike Shula is 47 and was recently promoted to offensive co-ordinator of the Carolina Panthers.
Just doesn't seem like some of those guys should be that old. Time stops for no one.:frown:

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
WHO CARES? We just won #15! Let's just enjoy CNS and our current run.

RTR!!!!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just doesn't seem like some of those guys should be that old. Time stops for no one.:frown:
What would have been Coach Bryant's 100th birthday is three days before the Texas A&M game. I wonder if any special celebration is planned for the game.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I no longer have hard feelings toward Mike Dubose. He was a good DL coach, who was challenged as a DC, and wholly out of his depth as a HC.

As a whole, the Alabama fan base (myself included) demanded that he do something he was incapable of doing. Kind of like if you guys demanded that I dunk a basketball. The ability simply isn't there.

He made a ton of mistakes, on the field, on the administrative front, off the field, and as a husband and father. Some of that was personal weakness. Some of it was arrogance borne of ignorance. Some of it was the football coaching version of giving a Bugatti Veyron to a dim 16-year-old hopped up on youth, blissful stupidity, and testosterone, and whose personal background is entirely inadequate to prepare him for his new role. The ensuing wreck will be both inevitable and spectacular. And it was.

I no longer harbor ill will. But that doesn't mean I've forgotten the damage he did. Call it a truce and both sides move on, each leaving the other to whatever path is laid out for them.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
After hiring three Mike's in a row, I was glad that Coach Saban was not another.
We didn't exactly thrive under the last three Mikes... I will make an allowance for CMS.
Coach Shula took our job when the top candidates didn't even want to visit Tuscaloosa.
The years of probation were tough, and Mike Shula stepped up when we needed a coach.
He made a number of 'Rookie' mistakes, and was eventually let go.
Mike did get us thru the bulk of our 'Probation Years'...
OJT is a tough way to learn in the SEC, and everyone was gunning for us while we were down.
Over time I've come to judge Coach Shula a little more generously. :)

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Really don't care. He's an Opp guy and I'm from Andalusia. He's the main cog of Bama's decline, though we did win the 99 SECCG!
I'm not from Opp or Andalusia but grew up in the vicinity. Even though he was a couple of years ahead of me I competed against him in sports. There was never any doubt about his athletic ability but my observations of his character and mental ability off-field made his elevation to head coach a surprise. I assumed maybe he'd grown under Coach Bryant and Stallings but unfortunately that didn't seem the case.

Still, I don't harbor any ill will and hope he does well in whatever he does.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Mike Shula was always a "caretaker" coach. He came aboard at a difficult time when getting anyone else was impossibly difficult. It was hoped he would flourish and become the HC everyone wanted him to be, but it was just not to be for Alabama or him. Hate it didn't work out and wish him the best.

Mike Dubose was in much further over his head as a HC than CMS. The implosion of a very talented team in 2000 was the culmination of quite a few personal and professional shortcomings. Really before that season began CMD had "lost" not only the team but the whole program, including the assistant coaches - some of whom were a cancer themselves, some in the administration, and worst of all people in his personal life. The wrongs CMD committed were mostly personal and I have no animosity for the man. He has admitted openly his shortcomings and failures. Pride was one of his downfalls, but he seems to have remained humbled since it all came crashing down for him. He seems interested in helping young men better themselves and their lot in life. More power to him.

CGS made one mistake that I am aware of, and that has been well-documented; but the man has more integrity in his little finger than a lot of folks have in their whole being. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and that is where CGS got himself into trouble. Any argument to the contrary is not going to get much traction here, IMHO - nor should it.

Last edited:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I stopped commenting on former coaches except Coach Bryant who will forever be the Best that ever coached the game.

Come to find out if you read carefully from people that Really Know on here, what you may think may not be the way it really is. Some are very reluctant to let OU know what they know, maybe because they care so much for the University.

Just understand that right now Today we have the Best Coach breathing on this earth, what happened before is long past & we suffered for it.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
....what happened before is long past & we suffered for it.

All too true and that's the best reason to remember it. Forgive those who failed, but never forget. Personally I've always believed in forgiveness, but I also believe that George Santayana's comment on history is a truism.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I can only hope that when Coach Saban steps down that we remember the circumstances that led to hiring Red Drew, Whitworth, DuBose, Price, and Shula. None really qualified, all poor to disastrous hires. Unfortunately, we do have a history of forgetting the lessons of the past.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Come to find out if you read carefully from people that Really Know on here, what you may think may not be the way it really is. Some are very reluctant to let OU know what they know, maybe because they care so much for the University.
Edit: Nevermind, figured out that OU = "you". Was really puzzled there for a minute on how the love for Oklahoma was playing into this.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
All too true and that's the best reason to remember it. Forgive those who failed, but never forget. Personally I've always believed in forgiveness, but I also believe that George Santayana's comment on history is a truism.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I can only hope that when Coach Saban steps down that we remember the circumstances that led to hiring Red Drew, Whitworth, DuBose, Price, and Shula. None really qualified, all poor to disastrous hires. Unfortunately, we do have a history of forgetting the lessons of the past.
Good post, but you omitted Franchione. The ones you mentioned were not qualified, but Franchione was a a liar and a coward which, IMO makes him worse than all the others.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I spoke with Coach DuBose at a Mississippi Braves game a few years ago. At the time, he was the HC at Milsaps College. We had a pleasant conversation and he seemed to be enjoying his time at Milsaps.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Thanks. Family does come first. If he gets back into coaching, I hope he goes to a small school like Milsaps again. He did well there, and that really seems to be his level. He's past 60 now, and past time for him to try to move back up the ladder to a head coaching position at a BCS school.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
I spoke with Coach DuBose at a Mississippi Braves game a few years ago. At the time, he was the HC at Milsaps College. We had a pleasant conversation and he seemed to be enjoying his time at Milsaps.
He did an excellent job there.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I harbored a lot of resentment for Mike Dubose for a long time. But, in the last few years, I've eased up. For one thing, Coach Saban has certainly helped ease the pain of the past. But, also, oddly enough, I kind of feel Dubose's pain. The reason why is because my father will ALWAYS hold over my head the things I did in my 20's. I was a wild one during those days and did a lot of bar hoping and drinking and spent way more money than I should have. Ironically, part of those wild times occurred while Dubose was the HC (1997-2000). I have long since grown up and lead a totally different life today. But, no matter. My father will never forgive my past under any circumstances. I could single handedly save the planet and my father would still hold my 20's over my head. "Just because today is different does not mean you get to rewrite yesterday" he likes to remind me. The man will go to his grave still upset with me over that. So, in light of that, I've become a little more forgiving of Dubose and other former head coaches! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.