What's happened with Mike DuBose?

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I like to keep up with the activities of the old coaches. I saw that Mike Price announced his retirement a few weeks ago, and I piqued my interest in what Mike the first was up to. A google search says that his last position was at Memphis, but apparently he was let go when the new regime came in up there last year. There is no more current information. Did he just quietly hang it up as well?

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
I enjoyed my 1st time read of 2yr old Dubose status story

Thanks for your post Tru. Though not current, this is a great read about Coach Dubose. Perhaps, it is new to others as it was to me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/626333-former-alabama-head-coach-mike-dubose-seeking-redemption-and-return-to-top-div

Former Alabama Crimson Tide Head Coach Mike Dubose Seeks Redemption

Everybody loves the story of a man who rose to the top, had problems, fell down and tried to return to the top again. Hollywood has made dozens of these types of movies.

Mike Dubose is living that reality right now.

A former Alabama player under Paul "Bear" Bryant with a gritty style of play, Dubose was eventually able to become a coach after his collegiate days were up, something quite common for Alabama players.

Few however made it to head coach, and even fewer have made it to head coach at Alabama.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Let's let bygones be bygones here, we've all had plenty of opportunities to express our feelings about MD.

If anyone knows what he's up to now, we'd love to know.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
he was coaching some smaller college over in mississippi Milsap? 4 or 5 years ago and they did very well talked to one of th eplayer several years ago.. thought I heard he had made his way back to the D1 circuit as a coordinator but I don't recall where

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Really don't care. He's an Opp guy and I'm from Andalusia. He's the main cog of Bama's decline, though we did win the 99 SECCG!
I respectfully disagree completely with this. The major culprits were a weak athletic director and a fan base so immersed in hero worship that they fervently believed that because DuBose had "played and coached for the Bear" that he automatically should accede to the head coaching job despite a total lack of experience since he "had paid his dues". Undergoing on-the-job training as head football coach at a place like Alabama is a pretty good guarantee of failure for most and Mike was no exception. I also felt that Mike Shula was pretty much a similar case and doomed to failure when he walked in the door...

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He was at Milsaps for a few years and did well and then became an assistant at Memphis in 2010-2011. The staff was fired after the 2011 season and his wiki article doesn't say what he's been doing since.

Ray Perkins is 71 and is the head coach at Jones County Junior College in Mississippi. They went 6-3 last year in his first season.

Bill Curry is 70 and retired after last season following three years as the first ever head coach at Georgia State. He went 10-23 in his tenure there.

Gene Stallings is 77 and enjoying retirement on his Texas ranch.

Dennis Franchione is 61 and just finished his second season at Texas State, where he has gone 10-24.

Mike Price is 66 and retired after last season following nine years at UTEP, where he went 48-61.

Mike Shula is 47 and was recently promoted to offensive co-ordinator of the Carolina Panthers.

Really don't care. He's an Opp guy and I'm from Andalusia. He's the main cog of Bama's decline, though we did win the 99 SECCG!

I respectfully disagree completely with this. The major culprits were a weak athletic director and a fan base so immersed in hero worship that they fervently believed that because DuBose had "played and coached for the Bear" that he automatically should accede to the head coaching job despite a total lack of experience since he "had paid his dues". Undergoing on-the-job training as head football coach at a place like Alabama is a pretty good guarantee of failure for most and Mike was no exception. I feel that Mike Shula was pretty much a similar case and doomed to failure when he walked in the door...
I'm sorry, but it was his program. You have to give someone a shot. Plus I had to sit through that loss in Knoxville in 2000. ;)

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

HYGIE

Scout Team
Dec 23, 2003
HARTSELLE,AL.,US
I'm sorry, but it was his program. You have to give someone a shot. Plus I had to sit through that loss in Knoxville in 2000. ;)

First off let me say I do not want to get suspended again. Mike DuBose was that easy target. There were several indiscretions under his administration however he was not the main link in the downfall of Alabama. Gene stallings is a man of impeccable character however everyone at the university during his tenure your was not squeaky clean. Everyone throws rocks at Dubose and no one asks or mentons indiscretions during Stallings tenure.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Was Dubose on the opposing sideline for that crazy lateral play on a kickoff add time expired that won the game?

He has paid his penance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Willis

3rd Team
Sep 9, 2005
I respectfully disagree completely with this. The major culprits were a weak athletic director and a fan base so immersed in hero worship that they fervently believed that because DuBose had "played and coached for the Bear" that he automatically should accede to the head coaching job despite a total lack of experience since he "had paid his dues". Undergoing on-the-job training as head football coach at a place like Alabama is a pretty good guarantee of failure for most and Mike was no exception. I also felt that Mike Shula was pretty much a similar case and doomed to failure when he walked in the door...
Yep!

First off let me say I do not want to get suspended again. Mike DuBose was that easy target. There were several indiscretions under his administration however he was not the main link in the downfall of Alabama. Gene stallings is a man of impeccable character however everyone at the university during his tenure your was not squeaky clean. Everyone throws rocks at Dubose and no one asks or mentons indiscretions during Stallings tenure.
Yeah, I'm not jumping on him for his integrity or anything like that, though I could. But the fact remains we imploded horrible under his tenure. I'm glad he's gone.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Don't know if this is our Mike D or not. Still not quite getting it right, I'm afraid...

http://jacksonville.com/sports/high...ketball-notebook-ineligible-player-costs-area
I doubt that is our Michael Lynn Dubose, married to Polly Martin Dubose. My research shows that Ms. Dubose uses Opp as her address, on a social media sight. Further, my research indicates a Nashville area address, which may or may not be current. Perhaps, they have grandchildren in that area. Plus, there may be opportunities to coach there. Hmm ... Titans? He does have pro assistant experience.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Dennis Franchione is 61 and just finished his second season at Texas State, where he has gone 10-24.

Mike Price is 66 and retired after last season following nine years at UTEP, where he went 48-61.

Mike Shula is 47 and was recently promoted to offensive co-ordinator of the Carolina Panthers.
Great recap. Any idea what WriterMike is up to?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.