Game Thread: Super Bowl thread...

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
that didn't carry over into the SB with me cheering for more bad calls as long as they hurt the 49ers.
It wasn't a bad call though - I don't know why you keep claiming that it was. If you want a source, just ask the 49ers as they stated emphatically two weeks ago that defensive holding isn't called in that situation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It wasn't a bad call though - I don't know why you keep claiming that it was. If you want a source, just ask the 49ers as they stated emphatically two weeks ago that defensive holding isn't called in that situation.
You are being obtuse.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I saw as much OPI on the play as DPI. The CB was calling for a flag himself after he was pushed down.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
So, to be clear, you guys are okay with the refs deciding games as long as the team that you are pulling for gets the benefit of the calls? At least be consistent. If the Falcons were robbed, so were the 49ers.
Nothing inconsistent. Call it or don't call it but be consistent. They were and the 49ers lose today the same way they won two weeks ago. I am saying that if the non-call went for the 49ers once and the same non-call went against them tonight, we have consistency. Yes - I am a Falcons fan but it seems the 49ers fans are the ones that want it both ways when it benefits them. Anyway, Kapernick has not seen his last Superbowl. Hopefully they trade him to a team that I like ;)

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I saw as much OPI on the play as DPI. The CB was calling for a flag himself after he was pushed down.
Exactly. We were educated 2 weeks ago that on 4th down at the end of the game, the refs don't want to decide the game so they are very reluctant to throw a flag. They were consistent so I give the NFL props on that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Nothing inconsistent. Call it or don't call it but be consistent. They were and the 49ers lose today the same way they won two weeks ago. I am saying that if the non-call went for the 49ers once and the same non-call went against them tonight, we have consistency. Yes - I am a Falcons fan but it seems the 49ers fans are the ones that want it both ways when it benefits them. Anyway, Kapernick has not seen his last Superbowl. Hopefully they trade him to a team that I like ;)
LOL - I can see how a Falcons fan would feel this way. And maybe 49ers fans have no reason to cry, with your logic in mind. But as a football fan with no horse in this race, I was annoyed.

After letting the secondaries play physical defense the entire game, the refs called PI on a 3rd and long on the Ravens previous drive. The officials had been letting worse go all game long, but they called it late in the 4th quarter. But they didn't call it against the Ravens with the game on the line.

So maybe 49ers fans have no right to be upset with this, but football fans do. I can see that you feel differently. We will have to agree to disagree.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
LOL - I can see how a Falcons fan would feel this way. And maybe 49ers fans have no reason to cry, with your logic in mind. But as a football fan with no horse in this race, I was annoyed.
That would be like being annoyed if the Patriots had lost their superbowl with the Rams due to the tuck rule.

You might not agree with the way NFL call the games, but they were consistent. When the game is on the line on 4th down, the contact has to be severe. This isn't anything revolutionary. Roddy White mentioned two weeks ago that NFL refs throw the flag in situations like that, so the NFL players are aware.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

After letting the secondaries play physical defense the entire game, the refs called PI on a 3rd and long on the Ravens previous drive. The officials had been letting worse go all game long, but they called it late in the 4th quarter. But they didn't call it against the Ravens with the game on the line.

So maybe 49ers fans have no right to be upset with this, but football fans do. I can see that you feel differently. We will have to agree to disagree.
As a 49ers fan, I was livid at the time, but being a student of the game, I know that no one game is ever won or lost on one play. There are at least 70-80 other plays to get it done. We should've never been in that position in the first place. The magnitude of the game overwhelmed us in the first half. Lots of loafing in our secondary in the first half that allowed Flacco throw aways to turn into big gains. That wish & prayer that Flacco had to Smith vs. Denver? He had at least 3 of those in the first half, one of which resulted in a TD. Just terrible. We put ourselves in that position. So I don't blame the refs. It would've taken a Swann-esque effort for Crab to 1. catch the ball, and 2. come down with it inbounds. It was a poor play selection based on the circumstances, and the ref swallows the whistle 70% of the time in that instant. We'll live. It hurts, but we'll live. I don't, for a second, think Baltimore is a better team than us. But they have the Lombardi Trophy & we don't. That's all that matters.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You might not agree with the way NFL call the games, but they were consistent. When the game is on the line on 4th down, the contact has to be severe.
Sorry, but the rules do not change with 1 minute left in the game. Consistently bad is still bad.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As a 49ers fan, I was livid at the time, but being a student of the game, I know that no one game is ever won or lost on one play. There are at least 70-80 other plays to get it done. We should've never been in that position in the first place.
Very true, and a great way to look at it. You have figured out how to both win and lose gracefully.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who can't see Ozzie taking the AD job.
The duties of an NFL GM and a college AD aren't the same, so I don't know how good he'd do here. There'd also be the issue of him being a football guy, which is a complaint people have about Mal.

Though I woud not oppose his hiring.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.