Shane Youngblood Tweets a Good Question About Future Bama Recruiting

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The two most successful in SP history both went to Bama. Townsend & Rudd. Everyone else out of SP have been busts.

Bust like Peria Jerry of the Falcons, Jamarca Sanford of the Vikings, Isaac Gross, the true freshman DT starter last year at Ole Miss, or Brassell who has done his JUCO time and will be back as one of the best CB's in the SEC for Ole Miss?
In a fairly recent survey, Mississippi was second to Louisiana in NFL players per capita. With Alabama sitting on the state line, it would seem foolish to walk away from so much potential talent.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Not sure why trying to force Ole Miss and MSU to expend more energy on Mississippi kids would be any sort of priority. Let some other school do that.

If it's just about forcing rivals to expend energy, seems much better to go east and force Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee & Auburn to resort to going after the S Panola kids.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
South Panola is really not much different than any other school. It's similar to recruiting in Memphis. You find kids who excell (Jones brothers) and kids who wil need a lot of structure in college. As long as coach Saban runs our program, I really think we don't have to worry so much about where or who we recruit.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yeah...let's quit recruiting there because it's hard. I guess we should move to Conf USA too since the SEC is too tough.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Saban seems to think it makes some sense to recruit them, so I'll have to defer to that.

But, maybe someone will point out to him the error of his ways and he will explain himself. Who wants to volunteer?

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Yeah...let's quit recruiting there because it's hard. I guess we should move to Conf USA too since the SEC is too tough.
No one is saying that. Alabama's recruiting resources are vast, but they're not infinite.

Of course Saban has a better picture of all of this, so he'll do what he feels is best. That's true of any topic involving the football program though. We're just fans discussing hypotheticals.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
No one is saying that. Alabama's recruiting resources are vast, but they're not infinite.

Of course Saban has a better picture of all of this, so he'll do what he feels is best. That's true of any topic involving the football program though. We're just fans discussing hypotheticals.
Coach Saban is the CEO of our football program and he will approach our recruiting that way and he will analyze every aspect and adjust how he feels accordingly. I don't think we will quit but we will choose our shots carefully.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Who wants to go fishing in a sewage ditch? Memphis is a sewage ditch -- for College Football

If you do go fishing there, don't complain about what you catch.....if you are okay with what you catch -- then take the consequences of that.

Personally, I think there are quite a few better fishin holes to target.......

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Who wants to go fishing in a sewage ditch? Memphis is a sewage ditch -- for College Football

If you do go fishing there, don't complain about what you catch.....if you are okay with what you catch -- then take the consequences of that.

Personally, I think there are quite a few better fishin holes to target.......
Yeah, you just might catch those Jones brothers!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I guess I am confused about why Coach Saban would change anything about his recruiting strategy.
Well he's currently changing his coaching strategy somewhat with these new style offenses and we are coming off 3 NC in 4 years. Change is inevitable and the great ones do it even when the way they are doing things is working great.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The two most successful in SP history both went to Bama. Townsend & Rudd. Everyone else out of SP have been busts.

Bust like Peria Jerry of the Falcons, Jamarca Sanford of the Vikings, Isaac Gross, the true freshman DT starter last year at Ole Miss, or Brassell who has done his JUCO time and will be back as one of the best CB's in the SEC for Ole Miss?
In a fairly recent survey, Mississippi was second to Louisiana in NFL players per capita. With Alabama sitting on the state line, it would seem foolish to walk away from so much potential talent.

What RTR91 and I are trying to say doesn't seem to be coming across, so let me try one more time. We're not trying to run down ALL recruits from Mississippi. No one's arguing that the state doesn't produce top flight NFL talent. However, most of that talent wasn't heavily recruited coming out of high school. For whatever reason, Mississippi is the opposite of most states. The top end talent rarely pans out while the 2 & 3 star guys are the ones who go on to have solid-to-great NFL careers. Heck just look at the top 4 all time from the state. Walter Peyton, Jerry Rice, Brett Favre & Steve McNair. Only 1 of those played for an FBS school, and even then it was Southern Miss. Just look at the guys you named. Peria Jerry, 3-star, JaMarca Sanford, 2-star, Isaac Gross, 3-star. While other guys from South Panola like Chris Strong & Chris Herring, both of whom were highly rated 4-stars, were busts.

Here's a list of the 2006 top 10 from the state of Mississippi according to Rivals

1. Allen Walker - Last seen in the IFL playing for the Tri-Cities Fever.
2. Terry Grant - Spent 1 season with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL before hanging up his cleats for good.
3. Derrick Odom - Kicked out of LSU before ending up at Memphis. Never made an impact with the Tigers.
4. Anthony Summers - Transferred to Central Arkansas after failing to make an impact at Mississippi State
5. Terry Levy - Failed twice to qualify, ended up at West Alabama where he never made an impact.
6. Cordera Eason - Spent 1 month with the Bengals before being cut in 2010. Currently with the Colorado Ice of the IFL.
7. Anthony Dixon - 6th round pick by the San Francisco 49ers. Current backup to Frank Gore.
8. Richard Dixon - Signed with the Lions as an undrafted FA, waived a few months later. Hasn't stepped on a field since.
9. Marcus Tillman - Last seen walking off the field after an Ole Miss loss.
10. Justin Woodall - Failed to make the NFL. Drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays. Suspended in August for 50 games for testing positive for Methamphetamine.

I grabbed 2006 arbitrarily, but just for the heck of it, I'll go ahead and look back at other years. I'm actually pretty interested to see how this little exercise turns out.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
List of the 2004 top 10 from the state of Mississippi according to Rivals:

1. Greg Hinds - Last seen walking off the field for the Memphis Tigers.
2. Garry Pack - Kicked out of Ole Miss. Last seen not making an impact for West Alabama.
3. Rory Johnson - Initially failed to qualify after committing to MSU. Later enrolled at Ole Miss. Signed & waived by the Packers as an Undrafted FA. Last seen playing for the Berlin Rebels.
4. Xavier Mitchell - Never made a huge impact in college. Last seen on the practice squad of the BC Eagles, a CFL team.
5. Blake Barnes - Never rose higher than 3rd string at UGA before transferring to Delta State. Last seen playing QB in an obscure French Football League.
6. Brandon Jackson - The lone NFL contributor from this list. Played at Nebraska and ended up being drafted in the 2nd round by the Green Bay Packers. Currently 3rd string RB on the Browns.
7. Josh Winchell - Signed with South Carolina where he failed to crack the depth chart. Transfered to Kentucky where he failed to crack the depth chart.
8. Terrell Jackson - Never cracked the starting DB rotation. Last seen walking off the field for Ole Miss.
9. Mit Cole - 4 career receptions at LSU. Last seen leaving the field after LSU's Sugar Bowl win over ND.
10. Steve Gandy - Never cracked the starting DB rotation at AU.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well we know why Youngblood is not a coach. My question is what makes the "so called recruiting experts" experts?
I've known Shane a long time and like him. Not that it matters, but he's trained as a lawyer. Like most of that category (recruiting experts), he's pretty much self-trained...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.