Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/team/1360689880-891-797/statement-from-alabama-ad-mal.html

From Alabama athletic director Mal Moore.
"This is a very serious matter and we are very disappointed in the actions that have resulted in the charges against these student-athletes. In this type of situation, the Athletics Department works in conjunction with the University. We will have more to say at the appropriate time."

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

The reaction from some of the bama players on twitter makes me just as sad and embarrassed as the original incident.
I don't believe they understand the accused have admitted to the charges and are trying to support teammates.
When they know the facts I believe they will feel differently. The work they have put in and respect they have earned will be ridiculed as a result. IT should not be that way but it's how society reacts to these things. If the guys are guilty and dismissed it will show that Alabama does not tolerate thug behavior. That's not always been the case at other schools.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

I don't believe they understand the accused have admitted to the charges and are trying to support teammates.
When they know the facts I believe they will feel differently. The work they have put in and respect they have earned will be ridiculed as a result. IT should not be that way but it's how society reacts to these things. If the guys are guilty and dismissed it will show that Alabama does not tolerate thug behavior. That's not always been the case at other schools.
Yeah which is why I think it wise for these guys to not make comment on something if they haven't read anything about it. The fact they can't see how this makes the entire Alabama program look bad and make them be the target of insults and jokes is sad to me.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL

The stupidity of young people never ceases to amaze me.:frown:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I must be one of the last two remaining humans without a twitter account. I wonder what CNS will say when he reads the tweets -are they actually defending the other players? These kids need social skill training not social media...
you are not alone. i do not have a twitter account either. i really don't see the point.

frankly if i were a head coach, i would put a ban on it anyway.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Yeah which is why I think it wise for these guys to not make comment on something if they haven't read anything about it. The fact they can't see how this makes the entire Alabama program look bad and make them be the target of insults and jokes is sad to me.
A temporary media shutdown for the players probably would be wise.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

I hope some of our fan base will keep their mouths shut in the future, when other schools go through this same thing.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Did someone (this thread starter) know something about this when he/she actually started this thread?
I don't think so. It was started on the 10th at 10:06 AM. That was before EW's first offense I think. I could be wrong, but even then that was just for EW and not with BC.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Did someone (this thread starter) know something about this when he/she actually started this thread?
Not unless we have a prophet in our midst. This thread was started on the 10th.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Nothing too crazy, lots of no matter what I'm with my dogs, don't rush to judgment, you don't know us etc. Kurt Freitag has taken to blasting me with insults over the situation. No matter what they want to say they probably shouldn't speak on this issue.
Wow, just looked and he really did. Everything from insinuating you were gay to insulting the way your name is spelled.

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013

Does anyone know the nationality of the attacked students?

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

Obviously, crying poverty is not a valid excuse for robbing people, and these athletes can't really cry poverty anyway. They are well taken care of.

However, the whole stipend issue is presented by detractors in a misleading way a lot of the time. It's not really "paying" players, because if you did that, they would be entitled to much, much more money. It is actually doing what was done before, and what is done with some other scholarships, which is to provide additional money to insure that the player is able to focus on getting an education and meeting their obligations as a student athlete. We have heard of various scenarios in which players have children, a mother that needs to be taken care of, etc... Considering that some estimates place the time and effort of being on an NCAA team as a 40 hour a week workload, in addition to their classes. We can't really expect them to have a job during football season, and be full time student athletes.

So, when you analyze this situation, there is no justification for the actions. However, if you look at Calloway specifically, I do think you can see how having some pocket money could have dispelled what ever motivation he had to participate in using the stolen card. Yes, bad kids will be bad kids, and criminals will be criminals, but it could lessen some temptation. The same goes for players that get caught on a violation that is not huge sums of money, but a few hundred or may be a thousand bucks. If they are getting that much every month anyway, it would be a lot less enticing to risk losing it over a small sum.

These players have no excuse, but there's no doubt in my mind that a small stipend is not only fair, but could ease the burden on some of these players. Yes, they are getting a lot out of this situation, but so is the University and it's not fair that student athletes can't get a stipend, but people on academic scholarships can.
Just stop it, man. Stop. It.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The reaction from some of the bama players on twitter makes me just as sad and embarrassed as the original incident.
I'm almost scared to ask.

This whole situation is really infuriating. I would absolutely die to have a free ride through a great university like Alabama. Let alone the opportunity to play for a coach like Nick Saban. I understand however, a lot of mistakes can happen at that age. I'm sure there is not one of you that has not had a lapse in judgement at one time or another. This doesn't make them had people. That being said, I believe Coach hates that this happened, I can't imagine how disappointed and upset he may be right now. Whatever happens next, may these young men please open their eyes and get it together.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

I would like to know who paid the $6,000, $6,500 and $500 bonds for these guys??? That is not chump change. I couldn't afford it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Primary concern should be if the students who were attacked are o.k...
Second should be if the perpetrators were caught..
Third should be "Are they in custody?"
Fourth should be fair justice...

Whether these young men play football or not and how much they may contribute to the team is totally irrelevant.

Just my opinion of this particular and any other similar situation.

If proven to be true is it sad for these young players? Somewhat, but not nearly as sad a being a student and having to fear getting beaten and robbed by a football player on the campus of the University of Alabama.

sip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.